Ford Transit Connect Forum

Front seat swivel/reverse/flip for Gen2 FTC?

KevinRollin

"One of the things I like most in full-sized camper van conversions I’ve checked out is swiveling front seats.  Versions exist for the Transit, Promaster, Sprinter, and I’m sure others.  With much less space in the compact cargo vans, and often hip-height consoles, it seems like it would be difficult for sure.  

The only swivels I've seen frequently are for Euro-spec compact cargos, which generally have less space taken up by the airbags and more spartan seats.  But a week ago I was looking at modification ideas and I stumbled onto a For Sale post online and it was an FTC with a swivel front passenger seat!  ?

9BD8DD79-5D67-4097-ABE0-C94CC0AD7B0F.jpeg

This is not my van, so don’t ask how they did it, I have no idea!  Noteworthy in the phot though is that the center console/armrest is removed when it is reversed.  So maybe the swivel is off-center.  

Has anyone else made this work?  

Edited by KevinRollin
Added question

If you look close at that center console, it looks like they cut out a huge section of it along the passenger seat; you can see a big notch cut out by the corner of the seat. I bet it has enough material cut away to allow the seat to swing around. 

There are some problems with that photo.  That is not a rear facing, swivel seat custom ordered from a dealership.  Look at the center console.  That armrest and cup holder combination came from some other car.  It's actually sitting on the driver's seat.  The OEM console has been removed and there are wires hanging out.  The OEM seat belt is still on the B-Pillar, with no way whatsoever to buckle it across the passenger's body.  The entire seat back obstructs the passenger side door mirror.  I can only guess at what an airbag activation would do.  

You can form your own opinions.  I think the guy unbolted the seat, flipped it around to face backwards, and bolted it back on.   I can see that it's not functional or safe in any way.  And if there is a swivel, it only has 1 inch to turn in either direction.   No big deal if he has no passengers.  Since the camping build out isn't safe for passengers to ride in either.  As a solo camping van, it's probably great for 1 person.  A lot of work went into that van.  It looks like it's very cozy to live in.

Look at the other photos.  That center console just sits between the seats, so you can't get to the parking brake.  The passenger seat in the forward facing position makes it appear that it is impossible to turn and swivel 180 degrees.  Who knows what the guy really did.  But he did do a lot of work.  Solar panel.  A toilet.  Microwave.  It sure looks like a lot of effort, trying to do more with the van, than most other people.  Even with the bungee cord to keep the microwave from sliding off the shelf, and his face next to the toilet when he lays down.........it's better than my van with a yoga mat and a sleeping bag.  As I have get up to go pee a good distance away from the van.  I want pee and poop at least 50 feet away, and buried.

Grandpas Ford Transit DIY Camper Conversion For Sale 0020Grandpas Ford Transit DIY Camper Conversion For Sale 0023

Edited by Fifty150

On 10/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, dinocarsfast said:

I did it on mine also, I didnt need to cut or modify the center console but I do need to open the door to spin the seat.  I then have it facing a sink and stove that is also the platform for the bed.  I dont have any pictures though.  

Would love to see it if you could take a photo the next time you’re in your van!  

On 10/15/2019 at 3:23 AM, Fifty150 said:

I think the guy unbolted the seat, flipped it around to face backwards, and bolted it back on.   I can see that it's not functional or safe in any way.  And if there is a swivel, it only has 1 inch to turn in either direction.   No big deal if he has no passengers.  Since the camping build out isn't safe for passengers to ride in either.  As a solo camping van, it's probably great for 1 person.  A lot of work went into that van.  It looks like it's very cozy to live in.

I climbed around my seats the other night, poking around at the mounts.  I don’t think it’s just flipped around.  At least not the whole seat.   The front two mounting points are spaced differently from the rear ones, and they’re not in the same plane.  Rear mounts are taller.  

If its flipped, and not swiveling, it was done by sliding it off the rails and turning it around.  

Per 5150’s idea that it was flipped, if it was possible to turn the seat around in the same mounting points, that would be useful for a solo camper, and the fold-down seat it would be possible to see the passenger mirror and airbag-safe.  

Nissan NV200 seat flipped around:  

(from http://odysseycamper.com/nissan-nv-200-camper-build/the-first-nv200-camper-mod-reversing-the-passenger-seat/)

B9B6BDBF-4B48-4051-9E9B-858AD469BF26.jpeg

B186EA9B-16CF-4331-AF11-8A1FF71DF1C7.jpeg

19 hours ago, Double Nickels said:

That Nissan mod is good if you don't plan on anyone riding there while driving.  Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.  It will only encourage creativity.

I tried putting my mind to how one would do it in an FTC.  But with the front and rear seat “legs” spaced differently, and in different planes, I think it would require a lot of fabricating.  Basically two bars to span the width of the wider points, with holes for the narrower points, made of different thicknesses to account for the height and keep things level.