Ford Transit Connect Forum

adding a spare wheel carrier to lwb Connect

eggman14

Hello all,

I want to fit a spare wheel carrier to a transit connect. has anyone else done this? i have seen a part on ebay  but am not sure on retro fitting.

any ideas are welcome if anyone knows anything.

below is link to the part

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-SPARE-WHEEL-CARRIER-2013-ON-1897926-1825486-/253250786825

thanks in advance

8 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

On what part of the vehicle, do you want to mount the spare?  

Hi All,

in the uk we have the wind up winch wheel storage so it lifts the wheel to the underside of the rear of the van. i have plenty of space to fit the parts its just that mine didn't come with that fitted from the factory.

I have found the part available i just wondered if it was an easy retro fit. if anyone has any experience please let me know.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just posting back. took a punt and bought the part, fitted it today. It was as easy as drilling 4 rivets out, replacing blank plate with mechanism and feeding cable through the existing holes in the chassis.

1 big bolt fitted for second  strap and all ready to go.

Easy fit

Hi all,

Just posting back. took a punt and bought the part, fitted it today. It was as easy as drilling 4 rivets out, replacing blank plate with mechanism and feeding cable through the existing holes in the chassis.

1 big bolt fitted for second  strap and all ready to go.

Easy fit

• 10 months later...
On 10/31/2019 at 7:23 PM, eggman14 said:

bolt fitted for second  strap and all ready to go

Just about to correct this oversight to my 2016 Grand Torneo, which doesn't have the carrier fitted. I have parts list, so just sourcing. Curious that I see lots of winches on eBay, but not the full kit. Wondering if anyone managed to source it as a package? Eggman mentions the strap (cable assay 1824871?). Was this supplied with the winch? Most seem to supply just the bare winch, I guess as that's the bit that breaks (did on my previous Galaxy too, don't know why undercarriage cages went out of fasion). I bought my connect second hand, but can't understand why with so few options available to Titanium spec (Europe), why so many don't select the spare wheel option. I believe it's like only a £200 factory fitted option!

There are lots of cars here with Run flat tires so to allow the spare tire to be deleted.  I have not seen a No Spare TC. It could be an EU thing.  If you get on a Ford Parts seller  with a Manual you should fine all the parts and maybe a listing for the whole assembly.

Hope you find a solution.  Let Us Know