Ford Transit Connect Forum

200,000 miles on my 2015 Transit Connect

I previously did an update at 100k and 150k and I'm happy to say the van is still humming along great.  I still change the oil every 5k miles and get the transmission service every year.  Just put on my 4th set of tires but otherwise its been very inexpensive to own.  The front is definitely getting pretty ate up with rock chips which is to be expected with this many miles and the fact I drive 95% of the time on the highway.  Lifetime average MPG is 23.8 but its been improving as I finally learned to just slow down haha!  I'm pretty regularly 25-27 with some 28's sprinkled in there.  Where I buy the fuel seems to make a big difference too. 

I had planned on keeping it to 200 and then doing something else but I'll try to get another year or two out of it unless things start going downhill quickly.  I'm still on the original brakes and the interior is holding up nicely.  Most people are very surprised how many miles are on it when they see it but I keep it really clean so it always looks good.  It still drives very tight and the suspension isn't showing signs of needing replaced either.  Windshields seem to be a consumable item on these and I'm due for another one unfortunately.

Anyways, just wanted to give an up date and post up if you guys have any questions.

2 hours ago, Spooner said:

Where I buy the fuel seems to make a big difference too. 

California reformulated gas gets less mileage.  More ethanol = less mileage.  Rumor is that "top tier" actually is just a marketing gimmick.  But some people swear that certain brands of gasoline get better mileage.

9 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

California reformulated gas gets less mileage.  More ethanol = less mileage.  Rumor is that "top tier" actually is just a marketing gimmick.  But some people swear that certain brands of gasoline get better mileage.

All of our regular gas has up to 10% ethanol and it definitely gets worse mileage. I buy non-ethanol fuel every once and a while and it’s immediately noticeable that you have more power and the mpg readout is higher. It sucks it costs so much more. But I can also notice that randomly after I fill up it that it’s a similar difference but it’s not one brand that’s consistently better over another. 

Good work.  You can't get anywhere near the mileage on the brakes here in the north east, winters and salt won't let that happen.   The gas question is easy , if the good gas makes enough more mileage for the extra cost then it is definitely worth it.  

I will have to try the better fuel to see how much extra punch it delivers.

Any way great to here you have a good TC!

I had my 2015 into the original dealership for some service back in beginning of June at 102K and they told me my rear brakes had "2 mm left" and wanted like $330 or something for the rear brake job, I told them no. Bought the pads & rotors from Rock Auto ($50) and finally got around to changing them a few weeks ago at around 108.5K. The rotors had no discernible wear on them (no lip), so I didn't bother swapping them out. But, I did swap the pads - with far more than 2mm left on them - due to the uneven wear pattern. In this pic, the close pair is passenger side and the far pair of course is driver side. The three thick ones were roughly 60% of the material thickness on the new pads. My front brakes still look brand new, though, and they're also OEM original. I put plenty of grease on the slide pins, so hopefully it won't have this uneven wear, again. I've seen people talking about doing rear brakes at like 5K to 35K miles on TC's, so I guess I can't complain too much. 

Good job on the 200K! I've had one windshield done also (out of pocket, $400) and prefer not to do that again, haha. My insurance policy doesn't cover windshields, unfortunately. 

Rear_Brake_Pads.thumb.jpg.06f9c2feee4265c2ffb9315bf9820520.jpg

49 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

My front brakes still look brand new, though, and they're also OEM original.

I seem to recall noticing "electronic brake distribution" as a feature somewhere in the Ford literature, I suppose it's pretty common these days.  I believe that means they apply the rear brakes first during gentle braking, then shift to more and more front brake as braking increases and weight transfers to the front axle.  It's a smart strategy to equalize brake wear, but it seems in this case either Ford over-did it on the algorithm... or you brake gradually the majority of the time (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Yea, I've seen talk about the "advanced" braking system somewhere in the forum, applying the rear brakes first. I coast down as much as possible and I'd say I'm generally pretty light on the brakes, when I'm able. Just goofy how we always used to change front brakes only (well, maybe 2:1 or 3:1) and now I'm changing rear brakes only, haha. 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:34 PM, Willygee said:

"I'm still on the original brakes" ....dang..had to do the rears on mine at 32k:play:

How often any vehicle needs new brakes is 90% a function of the way it's being driven  -  Most people maintain their desired speed right up to a stop or corner and then use lots of brake to get slowed or stopped.  Others take their foot off the gas 100 yards sooner and gradually slow and need to use much less brake.  Braking hard while going uphill is a real waste of energy, but I follow people who do it every day  -  They never seem to figure that just letting off the gas sooner, the laws of physics will slow them down for free.  Many times I catch up to them about the time the light turns green and I never had to touch my brakes at all

Friction braking is the act of turning the kinetic energy you paid for getting up to speed into heat . . . . and poor gas mileage . . . . and frequent brake jobs.  There are more efficient ways to slow down

Don

Or someone just drives a lot of freeway miles - as opposed to stop & go traffic.  If I drive for 4 hours, go 300 miles, without tapping the brakes at all......it's better than driving 300 miles and stepping on the brakes every 25 feet to travel a car length at a time.

Its a bit of both. My wife slams on her brakes constantly instead of anticipating traffic.  While I do drive a ton on the highway I do get a bit of stop and go as I go through towns but I've always been easy on brakes by applying them earlier and lighter or just coasting to red lights.

• 3 weeks later...

When I quit my freeway driving Job at 95,000 miles i had my brakes Inspected, pads were at 60% front and 50% rear.

My 90k to my current 115k miles was not big city driving, more rural country style,, retired and all that.

They still look good, my est is 40% rear and 45% front left..

Just waiting for the squeal tabs to hit.

My brakes have squealed randomly since shortly after I bought the van, lol. Don't rely on squeals to let you know when they actually need to be replaced, since I have over 110K on front now and they still look basically new. I've heard a couple squeals since doing the rear brake pads, so I'm guessing it's the fronts that like to get 'vocal' on me. Personally, I just check 'em when I rotate the wheels and I don't anticipate having to do the fronts for a long time. That's a great thing about disc brakes - once the wheel is off, it takes a couple seconds to check the pads without even crawling under the van. 

I had my rotors turned at 125k since the rotors were squeeling.  Pads were good.  Turning the rotors took care of the squeal. 

That said i think ill do Bendix semi-metallic pads and electrophoretic coated rotors in Spring to improve the emergency stopping power.  After this many miles the rotors dont looks so good.  Being in a northern climate, they've become pretty rusty

Edited by dirt huffer