Ford Transit Connect Forum

2010 Custom Camperized Connect

Hello, thought I'd share some photos of my custom camperization for anyone interested/inspired to do the same.

It took me a few months to complete, and definitely learnt a lot along the way. Despite being boxy, there are no straight lines to work off of! Pretty much every piece of wood had to be custom measured and cut (often multiple times).

Since finishing it, I've been on lots of road trips on the West Coast of Canada and US. The TC handles it all!

Feel free to ask any questions about the build or one's about your project. 20190929_140632_resized.thumb.jpg.fff3fc5f2767f9b9181fd34b93665994.jpgIMG_20190413_154424_862_resized.thumb.jpg.b7999e702f9ead6d8409b413864a13b1.jpgIMG_20190215_101026_411_resized.thumb.jpg.7d7ce0d81511ca43530a6a0c8834113c.jpg20190311_122513_resized.thumb.jpg.7d183ee698da89c925c98ae89a23e4f2.jpg20190409_150226_resized.thumb.jpg.e99c8d919a42c88e6b4ae6558255086d.jpg20190514_184259_resized.thumb.jpg.d0830084f6898198d2de0d0b5fba6dba.jpgIMG_20190521_121514_205_resized.thumb.jpg.acb5b309a438f31d97a4c7756573a507.jpg

IMG_20190329_160157_086.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful craftsmanship. Nice JOB!

Cool looking dog too!  I'm sure he/she thinks it's their van now and you're just the driver ;)

I like your sun/rain shade gizmo pulled over the barn doors. Good idea.

I'm ready to mount speakers like you did in the rear doors. I have a Gen 2. Any issues I should know about that might help with my install?

Edited by windguy

Thanks!

The only tricky thing was feeding the speaker wire through the weather-sealed rubber hoses between the van and the doors. Just takes some patience and a stiff guide-wire to fish through. Also, you've got to watch how deep the speakers are in the door. There are a few metal braces that you have to avoid.

39 minutes ago, mbrint said:

Thanks!

The only tricky thing was feeding the speaker wire through the weather-sealed rubber hoses between the van and the doors. Just takes some patience and a stiff guide-wire to fish through. Also, you've got to watch how deep the speakers are in the door. There are a few metal braces that you have to avoid.

Got it, thanks. The Gen 2 door config is a bit different. I will need to remove the black plastic cover for the wipers to get to the pass through hose, which is up higher than your Gen 1. You've got a nice size panel to handle a larger speaker, 6 or 8" I'm guessing. The 4" round speakers I got have a shallow mounting depth, less than 1", and they are marine grade so moisture shouldn't be an issue. I tested the sound and it's okay. Hope being in a door cavity will improve that.

BTW - Your pics are pretty nice too. That first one showing the mountains, which I presume is granite, is awesome.

I'm wondering the longevity of my standard speakers back there with moisture. I noticed a bit of road silt on the inside of the panels when I took them out.

Thanks! That's a pretty big granite wall up in the Coast Mountains. There are a ton of them back there!

• 2 months later...

Still working on mine, slowly but surly ...  ;-}

19nov-bed.jpg

Kitchen is pretty much set up, and I'm going with a neat little chair/bed convertible that folds out into a comfortable bed and not to shabby for reading, eating, etc. One of the targets is having a short stay camper AND still keep it wheel chair accessible, just in case. I WILL be stealing a couple ideas from you if you don't mine though ...

• 9 months later...

Love your build!  I recently bought a 2010 Connect with the hopes of building it out into a long-term home and your's is the first I've come across that's as extensive as what I'd like to do. I was wondering how you installed your paneling and roof, did you attach a frame under there or just directly to the wall's of the van? I've read a lot about plus nuts people have used in other builds but they seem to be mostly regular transits and bigger vans and the holes in my connect seem kind of small and at awkward intervals, did you happen to utilize those at all? Thanks for any feedback if you see this! But also just thanks for the inspiration if not! :)

I tried to use those treaded inserts, but I found the locations weren't that convenient. I ended up using self-tapping sheet metal screws to attached 1x2" furring strips to the ribs of the van. Then I attached the panelling/sheets to them.

• 1 year later...