Ford Transit Connect Forum

Trans Temp Gauge on 14+?

dirt huffer

Easiest with a scanner app like Forscan.  There's a parameter in the Body Control Module called Transmission Fluid Temperature (BCM_TFT) that has the name and behavior that one would expect, Forscan makes it easy to pipe to a gauge icon on your phone screen. 

(There are also a few dozen other transmission-related parameters in the BCM to puzzle over... the ones for actual gear selected and torque converter slip have been pretty interesting to watch.)

I'm using this one... as recommended either by the Forscan folks, or people here, or perhaps both:

"OBDLink 426101 ScanTool MX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android – DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't delve into all the details, but this one has seamless switching between low and hi-speed CAN busses, which gives easier access to all (well, at least more) of the smart boxes in the van.

It works well once it gets linked up with the Forscan app; the linking process is as fraught and unreliable as any bluetooth device.  It doesn't like it after I've used my phone to talk to my other car's OBD... but that could just as easily be an issue with Forscan, the other car's app, or with the OS on my phone.  But overall it's pretty workable.

From what I have read, the OBDLink MX tool appears to be working the best.  It is expensive.  Yo9u can buy something for less than half of that cost.  Enter "forscan" into the Amazon search box, and other options will appear.  Ideally, you will want something connected by a USB cable to your laptop.  This is the most stable method.  Anything wireless, such as Bluetooth or WiFi, you could risk losing the connection randomly.......which is not what you want if you were to reprogram features or run tests.  

I have tried several inexpensive units.  The preferred style has a toggle switch for High Speed and Medium Speed CAN.  Cheap wireless connectors can and will lose the connection.  Annoying when using as a monitor.  Screws up your datalogging.  And could cause catastrophic failure if you are running a key on engine on test, or rewriting a program feature into the car's computer.  Cheap wireless connectors offer unexpected and irregular results.  It may pair perfectly with 1 carr, then not work well with another car.  Then on the same car, work well with a tablet, and not so well with another tablet or phone.  

A cheap connector can be bought for less than $20.  If it works, then it works.  If it does not work, return it and buy something better.  When reading the reviews on Amazon, cheap units work perfect for some people, and don't work for others.  I can only guess that the quality control and manufacturing standards are not maintained.  Same seller, same model, same factory, and no quality control.  You can luck out and get 1 that works perfectly.  

Or just spend the money, buy the most expensive unit, and you will be fine like everyone else who bought it.  

Sounds like OBDLink MX+ is the way to go.  

I use to have a BlueDrive Scan Tool ($100) that was similar to the OBDLink but it got stolen when my car got stolen, lol.  Didn't have that tool for very long.  It was underwhelming as far as features go.  Maybe they've improved it but it was way overrated IMO when i bought it in 2016

Edited by dirt huffer