Ford Transit Connect Forum

return of the frozen sensor

framebinder

Last winter I wrote you all about my backup sensor going off in the cold. WELL IT'S BACK.

Maine got to 8 F. last night and all day long it wailed in reverse. The dealer was never able to diagnose

the problem. I did take a dry towel to clean them (they looked clean) but that didn't help.

I'll be calling the dealer this morning and see if there is a new answer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any of you have a solution? Am I the only one having this problem?

Tonight it got down to 5.

Edited by framebinder

• 2 weeks later...

Last winter I wrote you all about my backup sensor going off in the cold. WELL IT'S BACK.

Maine got to 8 F. last night and all day long it wailed in reverse. The dealer was never able to diagnose

the problem. I did take a dry towel to clean them (they looked clean) but that didn't help.

I'll be calling the dealer this morning and see if there is a new answer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any of you have a solution? Am I the only one having this problem?

Tonight it got down to 5.

I don't have your answer but I have your problem. It is only 24 outside but my backup alarms go off every time I put into reverse. I am going to try a heat gun on different parts to see if it will stop.

This is a temperature related problem, once the weather warms up the sensors are fine. It seemed like a relay sticks closed when it gets cold.

I tend to think about it being relay related too. I'm sure the sensors are not damaged.

Maine hasn't had anther 5 F. night since last the sensor wailed. Tuesday and wednesday it's supposed to get near 0, we'll see.

The service manager says I'm the only one calling him about this, it's comforting to hear someone else has the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been having issues with the back up sensors on my 2012 TC. I confirmed twice now that when I wash my TC in below freezing temperature , the sensors stay On, until they thaw out, such as parking in the garage. Other then that they are fine? They don't like cold? My geographical location is southern Ontario Canada.

Ive been having issues with the back up sensors on my 2012 TC. I confirmed twice now that when I wash my TC in below freezing temperature , the sensors stay On, until they thaw out, such as parking in the garage. Other then that they are fine? They don't like cold? My geographical location is southern Ontario Canada.

I have not had the problem even occur eve though it went to below -2F last night. I will be washing the van tomorrow and we'll see if that has something to do with it.

Meanwhile, Ford service has nothing to say that will help.

If you wash your TC at a coin operated, do it yourself car wash to remove road salt,sand,dirt, ect....the water freezes quickly, and soon enough your back up sensors stay on continuesly when in reverse.

I use only water ,NO detergents or wax in the winter. I check the sensors on the outside ( no ice build up) so my guess would be behind the inside rear bumper. And yes they continue to sound until they thaw out. know that I know this, I'm not worried about it. Please let me and other members know what happens after you wash your TC.

If you wash your TC at a coin operated, do it yourself car wash to remove road salt,sand,dirt, ect....the water freezes quickly, and soon enough your back up sensors stay on continuesly when in reverse.

I use only water ,NO detergents or wax in the winter. I check the sensors on the outside ( no ice build up) so my guess would be behind the inside rear bumper. And yes they continue to sound until they thaw out. know that I know this, I'm not worried about it. Please let me and other members know what happens after you wash your TC.

Couldn't get to the washing, but boy does it need it. Perhaps today.

The Ford garage says there is no relay, but there is a module that hooks up to the 4 sensors and the alarm.

So, I washed the van and that night we got below 0 F. and the backup alarm wailed in the morning. Took it to the Ford garage who once they brought it in and it warmed some, no alarm. They then washed it, parked it outside and they finally heard it for themselves. They tried doing tests, called the Ford hotline, but no conclusion or fixes, not the module either.

They did determine that one sensor was stronger than the others, and one was weaker. They switched these two and we'll wait for the cold to return and see what the same test says.

if the readings change, then it's the sensor, if they don't, then it's the wiring. In the meantime, they are ordering up new sensor parts. They had it for 5 days and have put in a lot of time. Do they get paid by Ford for all the hours? They also gave me a Ranger pickup to drive. (I wouldn't buy one).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 2012-01-15 at 6:59 PM, Tranzy said:

Same issue here for the last couple of years. Same geographical location and year/model vehicle too. Somethings definately freezing. Once I park it in the sun (facing the rear bumper) it goes away next time I go to use the van.

• 2 years later...

Generally, the measurement accuracy is high. The thermometer also measures the temperature distribution inside the object within a certain temperature range. However, for moving objects, small targets, or objects with small heat capacity, large measurement errors are generated. Commonly used thermometers include bimetal thermometers, glass liquid thermometers, pressure thermometers, resistance thermometers, thermistors, and thermocouples.Model:  LM26CIM5-TPA / NOPB