Ford Transit Connect Forum

Will these Turtle Cross Bars Work on Transit Connect OEM Rails?

Hi, I just got my 2014 Transit Connect Passenger Wagon a few weeks ago and very excited to have found this forum! I plan to do all kinds of interesting modifications and will be happy to have people to share them with!

Now for a question for you all:

I have the OEM roof rails like in the picture below (I'm lacking the cross bars and don't want to pay the dealer $500 bucks for them!). There are no air gaps beneath them like on a lot of other cars. I'm thinking this could be an issue for some crossbars.

Given this, does anyone know if these Turtle cross bars would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Brand-Transit-Connect-Cross/dp/B07VCBFM2L/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=ford+transit+connect+roof+rack&qid=1569264462&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Or perhaps someone knows of a cheaper and/or better option?

Thanks,

Bluega

FordTransitConnectRoofRails.jpg

That Amazon listing makes it difficult to tell since it looks like only the first photo is specific to the TC. But zooming in on that photo looks like it has a bar that comes up from the bottom to tighten. The TC rails are a little misleading at first appearance on where they actually tighten. The groove in the outside edge seems like that's where it's anchoring. But in reality it's real strength comes from a small lip that's sort of undercut on the inside face. The Ford OEM rails do a double action as they are tightened. The pinch the rails between the inside and outside pieces, but the main anchor force comes from the 90 angle piece moving under the lip on the inside of the rail and then being pulled up to tighten. Here's a photo of the ends on the Ford OEM rails.

20151001_115107.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2019 at 12:41 PM, Bluega said:

Thanks DonShockley

I think I found some that might work (seller says they will at least and they look right):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-ANTI-THEFT-ALUMINIUM-CROSS-BAR-RACK-75-KG-LOADING-BLACK/223320694806?hash=item33fef36016:g:Zv8AAOSwdaVcN66C&vxp=mtr

Bluega - Did you buy these crossbars?  If so, how are they working?   I'm interested in the same bars but was hesitant because I can't find much on them

Thanks, 

Sean

Edited by Sean McConky

• 4 weeks later...

So, I bit the bullet and purchased the racks by Parttech Ltd from eBay.  (https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-ANTI-THEFT-ALUMINIUM-CROSS-BAR-RACK-75-KG-GREY/223320720321).

First, they arrived well packaged from the UK.  I should have taken pictures, but I didn't get any until after install.  The crossbars come in multiple pieces.  The extruded aluminum bars come with a plastic wrap on them to prevent marring the finish.  You attach each of the ends on  the bar, which allow for about 4" in total leeway for the vehicle width.  In my case, they needed to be almost as short as possible, which I would think only adds strength to the connection with the end cap.  Each end cap has a single socket head screw to loosen the clamp to attach to the flush rails (Allen keys are provided).  Tighten up each screw.  There are 4 plastic inserts which go into a slot to cover the socket head screw.  Then a locking cover goes over the end to prevent removal of the bars.  Pretty simple install and they feel pretty secure.  To give a quick check, I put my elbows on the roof, hands under the bar and tried to lift (kind of like a lifting curl) the bar and it didn't budge.  Took it for a quick highway spin.  There is a little wind noise, but I think that is to be expected with most bars.

Also, a few other notes about the bars: 1) They are tear drop shaped (which is I think similar to the Thule Aeroblade Edge bars).  2) The bars are about 2.7" wide and the usable length of the bars is around 41.3".  

I've attached a few pictures, so people can see how they look and how they clamp under the lip on the flush rails.  I'll post more comments once I put on a kayak rack and see how it performs.

20200429_191922.jpg

20200429_191950.jpg

20200429_191928.jpg

20200429_191954.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am pleased with these crossbars.  I loaded up two J bar style kayak racks.  I added rubber tape to the inside of the kayak rack clamps to prevent any slippage.  Loaded up two kayaks and went for a 30 or so mile drive at speed to a local lake.  No issues, nothing so much as shifted or budged at all.  

20200520_193620.jpg

20200520_193603.jpg

• 2 months later...

ahhhh, it's the lack of tie down points for straps that kills this me!

WTH??   Does anyone make a seperate piece to strap to that attaches the side rails like the cross rails do?
I want the flush mount rails but I won't strap like that.   PITA (JMO) 

I haul two paddle boards and I want quick and easy strap connection.  
Might have to go with the aftermarket raised side rails.