Ford Transit Connect Forum

11 Ford Transit Connect TPMS learn mode

mtelawi

if you just need to replace a sensor its easy, use a 2x4 lever system to break the bead or get a harbor freight bead break tool then replace the sensor.

To initialize the sensors follow the procedure;

1) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2) Turn the ignition switch to OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.

4) Press and release the brake pedal.

5) Turn the ignition switch back to OFF.

6) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.

7) The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

? Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem. Press the left button, wait until the horn sounds, then press the right button to turn the tool off.

9.) Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

10) After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

11) You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

If you dont have the TPMS triggering tool people say you can trigger each wheel by letting air out but I just bought the tool, its like $30 or something.

I hope this helps

• 1 month later...

TPMS sensors have a battery.  Like a watch battery.  Those batteries don't last forever.  The sensor are not manufactured with a battery door so that you can change the battery.  You are expected to replace the sensor.  Sensors have to be relearned by your car.  A tool is available for this.  

These are probably the parts you will need.

tpms parts.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 1:26 AM, Fifty150 said:

Sensors have to be relearned by your car.

Had some tires mounted on my stock steelies today that have been sitting in the shop for about 2 years. Still have original sensors in there, never removed or replaced. Shop didn't relearn them or anything because I just carried them in and out, not mounted back on the van yet. Curious if they are going to "miraculously" recognize them. Also curious if the position of each wheel matters (aka rotating tires). Any idea what the expected lifetime of the batteries are?

I think you will need to relearn the sensors. I don't think you will install them in the original position.  Sensor battery life is questionable.  Some say 5 years.  Some say 100,000 miles.  No consistency.  Ford says nothing.  I don't think Ford has ever promised any kind of service life.  They usually last the new car warranty.  Then it's a service item.  You replace them as needed.  No free sensors under warranty.  At least I have never heard of free tire sensors.  I am still using OEM sensors on my 07 F-150.  They still work.  

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I think you will need to relearn the sensors. I don't think you will install them in the original position.  Sensor battery life is questionable.  Some say 5 years.  Some say 100,000 miles.  No consistency.  Ford says nothing.  I don't think Ford has ever promised any kind of service life.  They usually last the new car warranty.  Then it's a service item.  You replace them as needed.  No free sensors under warranty.  At least I have never heard of free tire sensors.  I am still using OEM sensors on my 07 F-150.  They still work.  

That's my guess too, but it won't happen. Not worth my time, money and effort.

Find a tech with a scan tool or a tpms tool, they can wake them up and tell you if the battery is any good.  If the battery is good, and the tc has not been relearned to a new set then the tc will,accept them. If not a relearn will fix it.

Once again, what happens when one fails, other than a silly little light pops up on the dashboard? Not a fan of TPMS, and all the other "safety" crap they throw on these things nowadays ... that's where an air gauge and routine maintenance come in. If I go with lower pressures or different rubber, I don't want to have to ask Ford first.

They have been pretty reliable for me and  now that they have been out long enough the replacements are reasonable . My only gripe is that ford did not think that it was important enough to make the pressure available on my display like Malibu does.