Ford Transit Connect Forum

2010 TC Roof Cargo Box options...

Lizard 1

Did a search and couldn't find any info.  I currently have a set of roof racks from Yakima on my 2010 TC.  The idea was to place a cargo box on top.  I was looking at the Yakima Skybox as an example.  The idea is that Yakima seems to be the only company that offers a cargo box that adjusts to our 39" distance front to back on the racks.

The big issue is just that - the Skybox is BIG!  92" long in fact.  I wanted to see if anyone had a Skybox (The 16 is the only one that won't work.) or what they were using that satisfies placing cargo on top of the van vs inside...

Please provide pics and info!

Here Lizard, Lizard, Lizard. You're going to need a bigger cargo box ?

Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer your question directly but I can stir the pot.
If you switched your rack system to add tracks then you can position your crossbars to fit the size of any cargo box you want to get.

Retooling your rack system will cost you more money but you'll gain more flexibility down the road. Just a thought.

If you're price sensitive and not in a rush, Yakima and Thule have 25% off sales a few times a year through their retailers, like rackattack.com

Another different approach is to add a cage to the roof. See pics below. I think the pics of the blue van came from this forum many years ago but not sure.

The cage offers a lot of utility if you need to free up cargo space inside. 

Good luck!

cage roof rack - front.jpg

cage roof rack - side.jpg

cage roof rack.jpg

14 hours ago, windguy said:

Here Lizard, Lizard, Lizard. You're going to need a bigger cargo box ?

Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer your question directly but I can stir the pot.
If you switched your rack system to add tracks then you can position your crossbars to fit the size of any cargo box you want to get.

Retooling your rack system will cost you more money but you'll gain more flexibility down the road. Just a thought.

If you're price sensitive and not in a rush, Yakima and Thule have 25% off sales a few times a year through their retailers, like rackattack.com

Another different approach is to add a cage to the roof. See pics below. I think the pics of the blue van came from this forum many years ago but not sure.

The cage offers a lot of utility if you need to free up cargo space inside. 

Good luck!

cage roof rack - front.jpg

cage roof rack - side.jpg

cage roof rack.jpg

I had thought about the roof cage, but really like the idea that weather protection is available with a box.  I like the Yakima stuff, but am wondering if a 92" long box looks silly.  The cage idea is awesome in terms of looks, but I would have exposed stuff or something in a bag-like product and not really into that.

I would like to look at a rail setup.  That does make things rather easy in terms of whatever I would want to get...

0730171958.thumb.jpg.6f090350c16e54009e887f6e9c103a93.jpgI have had my Yakima box for about 15 yrs and love it.I'm not sure what model as the side decals have disappeared.Aprox dimensions are 90 in long and 15 in high at highest point. We use it for camping,first on a Subaru Forester and now on a 2016 TC LWB.My racks are adjustable and currently set at 36 in

I have barn doors so I don't know if liftgate models would be a problem.

I can mount it by my self because I have built a storage rack on my garage wall that is head height.It is very awkward  to lift off the ground by one person .

It is best for lighter soft items,bedding,tarps,duffel bags etc.It is very slippery inside so use care with single items and hard partial loads.I believe there are tie down points inside but have never used them.

It opens from either side and the locks work well.Order extra keys.Never had anything get wet in probably 10,000 mi.

The only downside is the height .I am 5'8" and have to toss things up and then stand inside to arrange them with one hand.

Avoid parking garages and low limbs,I have had a few close calls.Fortunately just scratches0905190743.thumb.jpg.ba1a2375fa8ebf4d4b434d9b0cbd86dc.jpg

On 9/20/2019 at 9:58 AM, JackGrimshaw said:

0730171958.thumb.jpg.6f090350c16e54009e887f6e9c103a93.jpgI have had my Yakima box for about 15 yrs and love it.I'm not sure what model as the side decals have disappeared.Aprox dimensions are 90 in long and 15 in high at highest point. We use it for camping,first on a Subaru Forester and now on a 2016 TC LWB.My racks are adjustable and currently set at 36 in

I have barn doors so I don't know if liftgate models would be a problem.

I can mount it by my self because I have built a storage rack on my garage wall that is head height.It is very awkward  to lift off the ground by one person .

It is best for lighter soft items,bedding,tarps,duffel bags etc.It is very slippery inside so use care with single items and hard partial loads.I believe there are tie down points inside but have never used them.

It opens from either side and the locks work well.Order extra keys.Never had anything get wet in probably 10,000 mi.

The only downside is the height .I am 5'8" and have to toss things up and then stand inside to arrange them with one hand.

Avoid parking garages and low limbs,I have had a few close calls.Fortunately just scratches0905190743.thumb.jpg.ba1a2375fa8ebf4d4b434d9b0cbd86dc.jpg

Very cool!  Gives me an idea.  The only thing I would like to see now is someone with a Gen1 and a Skybox on top.  I believe that your roof line is longer on the second gen vs our roof line.  I might be wrong.  I measured it out and it would stick forward a good deal over the windshield area.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2010 with a Rocketbox on top. Just had to drill the holes for the mounts a little back so it doesn't overhang the windshield. The extra storage is amazing, but it's way up there! I have to open the side door and step up on the doorsill to reach inside of it.20190324_175336_resized.thumb.jpg.2d1c275f9ae74065da6f08ad9c473179.jpg20190324_175346_resized.thumb.jpg.b9e22009d5341c1d6d3218d95db59d07.jpg20190324_175359_resized.thumb.jpg.987a4d4c02013e4564db378a60842662.jpg

On 10/2/2019 at 4:07 PM, mbrint said:

I've got a 2010 with a Rocketbox on top. Just had to drill the holes for the mounts a little back so it doesn't overhang the windshield. The extra storage is amazing, but it's way up there! I have to open the side door and step up on the doorsill to reach inside of it.20190324_175336_resized.thumb.jpg.2d1c275f9ae74065da6f08ad9c473179.jpg20190324_175346_resized.thumb.jpg.b9e22009d5341c1d6d3218d95db59d07.jpg20190324_175359_resized.thumb.jpg.987a4d4c02013e4564db378a60842662.jpg

Could  you PM details on what you had to do in order to accomodate the distance between rails to make it fit?