Ford Transit Connect Forum

Not starting!

Eilif

My wagon doesn't want to start today.

I'm getting clicking but no turnover.   Lights and displays come on including dash, radio, etc.  Does that indicate that it's probably something wrong with the starter?

Going to try and get a jump from a friend but at this point I'm not hopeful, especially since I put in a new battery this year.

Edited by Eilif

Might want to look at charging system, batteries can have premature failures but generally are very reliable (even if they fail very predictably).  Its also possible that something is draining the battery.  My son-in-laws VW had a fuel pump relay that wasn't shutting the fuel pump off when it was parked - ever noticed how some vehicles will run the fuel pump when you open the drivers door?  Over several days it would drain the battery.  Many years ago I made a voltmeter on a cigarette lighter plug that I could check the voltage with - this was sooooo long ago the voltmeter is an analog one!

For $13 ++++ you can get a voltmeter USB adapter from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/Jebsens-Charger-Battery-Monitor-Voltage/dp/B01N00I4TM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+adapter+voltmeter&qid=1568725368&sr=8-4

Clicking from the starter is usually low voltage to the starter, a weak battery or bad cable connections. Sometimes batteries can short so bad they act like a sponge, and jumping the battery will not get it started. Do some battery load and voltage testing. There may be another reason (draw) that caused the battery to go down.

If after the Jump it is worse, check the battery connections something could be loose.  The battery is definitely suspect.  

As a side note . every once and a while mine just decides to kill the battery.  New battery , old battery does not matter .  No charging issues , No codes, no clues, just random.  My defence is a well charged booster pak and several well worn swear words at the ready.