Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014+ bigger, better battery

I'm looking at replacing my factory battery with an Odyssey battery.  I realize these batteries are a bit of work to remove so i was hoping someone might know dimensionally (or size-wise), what the largest battery you can squeeze into the stock battery tray -- or with slight modification -- is?

A few of us here have installed a Sam's Club AGM battery which is much larger (both in size and in amp hours) than the little Ford spec OEM battery.  There's a thread on it here which gives all the details  -  I don't recall offhand the battery dimensions, but I can personally guarantee you that you won't find anything which fills up the stock battery box better than the one we used  -  It's a very tight fit . . . . but it does fit with no modifications to anything

Don

Do a Google search for 'Absorbent Glass Mat Battery Transit Connect' and you'll find a link to the discussion here  -  You can't find a darned thing searching this forum

Anyway, it's a Sam's Club Duracell Group 48 AGM battery  -  $159.99 when we bought them in 2017.  Another Google search gives the dimensions as 10.9 X 6.9 X 7.5 inches.  Theres a spacer in the battery box to keep the little Ford battery from moving around and you have to remove that to get it to fit.  It's taller too and barely fits, height wise.

I run an inverter I mounted in our TC to charge 2 Segways and I also use it to run an air compressor for filling tires.  It's a great battery and has served me very well.  I highly recommend it!

Hope this helps you

Don

On 9/5/2019 at 5:37 PM, Beta Don said:

Do a Google search for 'Absorbent Glass Mat Battery Transit Connect' and you'll find a link to the discussion here  -  You can't find a darned thing searching this forum

Anyway, it's a Sam's Club Duracell Group 48 AGM battery  -  $159.99 when we bought them in 2017.  Another Google search gives the dimensions as 10.9 X 6.9 X 7.5 inches.  Theres a spacer in the battery box to keep the little Ford battery from moving around and you have to remove that to get it to fit.  It's taller too and barely fits, height wise.

I run an inverter I mounted in our TC to charge 2 Segways and I also use it to run an air compressor for filling tires.  It's a great battery and has served me very well.  I highly recommend it!

Hope this helps you

Don

Do you have to do any coding to the ECU to let it know of the battery capacity change?

58 minutes ago, Don Ridley said:

Only the 1.6l Ecoboost has the battery monitoring system. The BMS needs to be reset with a new battery on these vehicles only. The 2.5l does not need require any updates with a new battery.

Oh really, I wonder why is that the case?

I did reset the BMS when replacing battery without even thinking.