Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 Transit Connect XLT Cargo

jmc1974

Hello Everyone, 

i have purchased just few weeks ago a 2015 Transit Connect XLT Cargo, with Gas engine...  Great little van!  but I have a question for all, how long does it normally take in the morning to warm up?  I am in California and currently our weather is on the 90's, but in the morning about 70's and when I start the van, I see the temp gauge go from cold to normal in seriously less than a minute.  is that normal?  i driven about 500 miles since I bough her and it has not overheated, but I never seen a car warm up so fast. this afternoon after being parked all day, outside it was about mid 80's and it took maybe 30-45 seconds and once I placed it on reverse and i began backing out it was at normal temp ?.

please advise is anyone has the same experience

this has 15,000 (yes 15k miles, clean title, no accidents, 1 previous owner)

thanks in advance

There are certain "magic numbers".  

When the engine reaches 100 F, the idle drops.  This is what you are experiencing within that short time frame immediately after starting the engine.  

150 F.  Engine management system goes from "open loop" to "closed loop".  Car's computer also executes and completes the OBDII monitors, for the drive cycle tests, to clear the P1000 code, so that your car is "emission ready".  For some cars, 150 F ATF is also suppose to register the fluid level at the low end of the dipstick.  

190 F or sometimes 195 F.  Thermostat opens.  Radiator fluid now begins flowing through the cooling system.  In some cases, simple airflow from the car moving will reduce the coolant temperature.  In modern cars, the electric fan will turn on and off at preset temperatures to maintain operating temperatures.  In the Transit Connect, the coolant/antifreeze also flows through an oil-to-water heat exchanger to regulate and reduce the ATF temperature.  Transit Connect's 6F35 transmission is supposed to be checked for proper fill level between 180 - 200.  

1 hour ago, jmc1974 said:

when I start the van, I see the temp gauge go from cold to normal in seriously less than a minute.  is that normal? 

?

Yes.  I see the same with mine.  The RPMs drop as the coolant temps reach 100 F.  Very fast to "warm up".  Not like the old cars where you sat there long enough to drink a can of beer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, jmc1974 said:

how long does it normally take in the morning to warm up? 

Mine is literally within minutes. In less than a minute, the coolant approaches 100, and idle drops from 1200 RPM range to 800. Then within a few more minutes, coolant is approaching 150 and idle drops to 700.  Of course, all of that varies from car to car, ambient temp, elevation, etc.

Screenshot_20190924-102102.png

Screenshot_20190924-102133.png

Screenshot_20190924-102459.png

Changes in emission laws made automakers work harder to lower emissions, especially cold start emissions. As has already be reiterated, the computer system need to go from fixed open loop operation to computer operated closed loop operation as quickly as possible to lower the cold start emissions. The major slowdown was with the oxygen sensors in the exhaust. They need to be hot in order to function properly and allow closed loop operation. So we now have heated oxygen sensors, which warm up the oxygen sensors after cold start much faster than just the exhaust heat. in warmer climates, the transition to closed loop happens quickly, within a minute or two. Completely normal and beneficial.

I remember reading that cars of the 80's & 90's with much less technology, got much better mileage.  Honda CRX, GEO Metro, and even the Ford Ranger was a MPG champ.  But none of those cars could pass today's emissions regulations.  I am not a scientist.  I don't have any of the facts.  Just things I hear or read randomly.  But I have heard that to reduce tailpipe emissions, some MPG was lost, and now, technology such as gasoline direct injection, and engines turning off at a stop, are the path to getting better mileage while trying to keep the air clean.

My 2011 Ranger 2.3L 5M was averaging 28-30MPG with me driving in northern IL including Chicago suburb traffic, before it got wrecked in Nov 2012... My '15 TC was getting 27-28 MPG in Illinois, but only 24 MPG here in rural Texas with higher speed limits and I also put 215/65R16 all-terrain tires on it, lol. Getting stuck fairly constantly with the Conti's this spring was a PITA, so the AT's are worth it for me. 

My warm-up is definitely quick here most of the year. Some days, the coolant temp is already above 100*F before I even start the van, haha.