• Custom Search

CAD

2019 Transit Connect XL Will Not Go Into Reverse

Transmision finally replaced by dealer after first reporting this to them on 8-13-2019 (purchased about one month prior to this date).  The problem continued throughout the past year and started happening more frequently with several attempts by the dealer to try other fixes to no avail (in shop three times: can not duplicate, cleaned seperator plate, replace transmission control assembly).   Now I have other continuing problems with the vehicle which seem to be electrical in nature which I will post in the appropriate forum.

So with the new transmission, van goes into reverse?

Good report, Lots of wires in these newer vehicles .

Fifty150:  Yes, goes into reverse so far and I notice another difference from the old transmission - this one seems a little smoother when shifting through all gears (especially downshifting to lower gears around 3rd to 2nd although not perfect, still a little "choppy" seems characteristic of this transmission) but not sure if that means anything in relation to the problem I had.

I am having the same issue 2nd time going to the dealership. I have a 2019 transit connect with 52,000 miles. The dealership replace speed sensor and the transmission 4 months ago. They also said they connection was corroded due to driving through water. Which I have never driven this vehicle through standing water. I'm taking it in today with the same issue not going into reverse and the check engine light is on. Will update as soon as this problem is resolved.

11 hours ago, Tomcat said:

connection was corroded due to driving through water.

Kind of hard to do that with an underbody splash shield.  You would literally have to drive through about 12" of water.  In which case, it would be obvious that the entire lower half of the engine was submerged in a foot of water.  Not to mention what other problems you would have if you were in a foot of water.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, CAD said:

downshifting to lower gears around 3rd to 2nd although not perfect, still a little "choppy"

This is a really late reply.  But in case anyone else gets a similar symptom, you can clear the adaptive learning table.  Then drive the car and let the computer learn to shift to your drive style.