Ford Transit Connect Forum

2019 Transit Connect XL Will Not Go Into Reverse

CAD

My Transit Connect XL is only two months old with about 1400 miles, and on two separate occasions it would not go into reverse although the shift lever was in reverse with the camera and reverse lights on.  This vehicle has the 8 speed automatic transmission.  The dealer where I bought the vehicle says there is no problem, although I am now taking it in for the second time.  Has anyone heard of this happening.

Edited by CAD

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been driving a new 2019/20 for a month now, I’ve put close to 10k on it, since the beginning it takes a good 3-5 seconds to engage reverse but never totally failed to engage, other than that the 2-1 downshift when stopping is pretty harsh most of the time, kinda worries me

Edited by Aaron-aaa

Hey Fifty, I totally agree, that’s what I’ll end up doing, granted it’s not my own TC, but I understand nobody knows yet lol, we are the mules, and I’ll post any updates. I got giddy when I found this forum last night and started searching. Aside from the few small things, it is a nice, solid little van and I enjoy driving it. I’m glad I’m not driving one of those Ram vans, or the little Nissans with the little pinwheels for tires!?

I ran into a guy I know.  Surprise, he looked at me, as I looked back at him.  "You too?"  "Yes, me too!"  I haven't seen this guy in awhile.  And he pulls up to the place of weekend spiritual worship in a white Transit Connect.  Then someone else in the parking lot remarked how we could commit any crime we wanted, and getaway by just driving slow and blending in with all the other white Transit Connects downtown.  Same way I always said that I could hide my white pickup truck in a Home Depot parking lot.  

Now a 4th & 5th guy come over.  Then we got all the comments about being creepy, driving around with puppy dogs & ice cream, and how we'll be suspects when people in the neighborhood start disappearing.  

I wish it were more exciting.  But it was not storming Area 51, waiting for the aliens, or "witnessing" of "the 2nd coming".  

Just your run-of-the-mill, pick-a-denomination, church.  They call themselves by many names, and identify as Christian on Sunday.  As opposed to worshipping on Saturday.  Amongst the worshippers, neither of us were there to worship.  We each had our own agenda.  

Funny that you should mention MLM.  Those churches are MLM.  They are selling you a multi-level-marketing product.  All of that money which you "donate", trickles up in tiers.  Very seldom, do you find a religious institution, where there is no personal enrichment.  A lot of people don't want to see it that way.  But it's not as if those people are all unpaid volunteers, who make a living from some other source, and accept no recompense for their church duties.  Most churches have a payroll.  Not judging the size of anyone's paycheck, but nonetheless, there is payment.  Not weighing anyone's spiritual commitment, but they're not doing it for free.

I show up, perform my service, and I did not do it free.  I get a paycheck.  They would be without my service without remuneration at market rate.

Edited by Fifty150

• 3 months later...

The most common CVTs are based on a Dutch patent (Van Doorne) - great for small light-duty cars, but not so for vans or heavy service.

Before I got my 2016 TC, I looked at the nissan.

Problems: 1. Only available as cargo models at the time. And only at Nissan 'commercial' dealers.

2. CVT uses specialized oil (Read: $$$$) and runs at somewhat higher rpms in order to gear-down to get decent torque.

3. Absolutely NO trailer-towing [I love summer camping in my tent-trailer].

My LWB 7-seat TC is just perfect for me.  And the seat entry height was perfect for my son after his back surgery => no climbing nor crawling-in.

Edited by Gideon
added details

BTW, for the new TCs with transmission problems, lets hope Ford isn't using the same software engineers as Boeing !!

Off topic: with all the troubles of new aviation hdwe, interesting that Israeli air force still operates some C47s [last built in 1945 but with replaced engines].

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I thought CVT wasn't made anymore.  Great idea on the drawing board.  Did not transfer well into the real world.  Sort of like the rotary engine.  

2020 Nissan NV200 uses CVT. I looked at the NV200 before buying the TC and it WAS the deal breaker. Its hard to find a sub-compact today without a CVT although it may be re-marketed as "IVT". Burns my ass.

As I said before, CVT is great for small "eco-boxes" but not (yet) for medium/heavy duty.  Notice that Nissan NV200 has smallest load capacity of the mini-vans [TC, City Ram, NV200]  and NO trailer towing  while TC & CityRam can tow 2000lbs. !!!

Subaru has CVT Transmissions and some friends of mine have one and they tow a 1200 # trailer from eastern Pa to Basalt Colorado yearly.

They are pleased with the performance and have had no issues.

I will keep the forum up dated.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all any update?

I have a 2019 TC wagon Titanium 1200 miles on it. 3 - 5 second delay shifting in to reverse. dealer claims i don't break enough. I was stuck in middle of a k turn on a narrow road today. didn't engage in reverse until I held the break all the way down for 2-3 seconds!

I had this issue too, when reversing in a parking lot or attempting a 3 point turn in traffic, the transmission senses if you select reverse too quickly and there is still some forward motion.

3 to 5 seconds is a long time when you're trying to pull off a quick maneuver in traffic1