Ford Transit Connect Forum

Vintage Technologies sliding windows

Has anyone upgraded their van with windows from Vintage Technologies, aka Teardrop Trailer Parts?  

I’ve read two older threads regarding their products: 

Micro Camper Conversion 2015 LWB XL by Torton

Sliding Screened Window Installation by Mickster

Both look like they use a window that’s about 14”x22”.  

Vintage has changed their model numbers and it looks like dimensions recently.  Windows are here: https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/pricing.html

I’m eyeing the WD2415, which according to my rudimentary measurements in the dark this evening, will fit in the sliding door.  On the inside, there’s room for the cutout without hitting the edge/lip on the sheet metal, but I think the trim ring will hit it.  So I might need to reinforce that with some plastic or plywood.   I want the largest window possible for visibility and ventilation.   

CB30B672-5AB2-499F-B9F7-2820F470C3A4.jpeg

40C02ED3-9DFB-401F-A237-B0A7C1ED83BF.jpeg

Edited by KevinRollin

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 1:36 PM, rrhhdd said:

This is what I am looking for for my camper van, I would be nervous to start - - please give more detail and pictures - you did a great job... thank you

Unfortunately, I haven’t progressed past the cardboard template yet!  The silver van is mine.  The photos of windows of white vans are from here on the forum, or Instagram.  I’m going to try to get the exterior dimensions of the interior trim ring, and make one more template to make sure it’ll fit.  

Anyone else install a window? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Using the trim ring, trace the portion that corresponds to the window that will penetrate through the plastic panel.  

Honestly I did a poor job of this and had to go back a few times to enlarge the hole.  Though that’s better than the opposite, I guess...

0B082A77-D708-4ABC-A3C9-4A1E035816FD.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Well, after considerable difficulty, I got one of the windows in.  A couple things:

1.  It’s a two-person job. One inside, one outside.  
2.  The 15x24 window is so big, that it doesn’t work well with the curved plastic side panels.   A smaller window would be easier.   
3.  The fore/aft positioning makes a considerable difference in fit.  If I’d put it a half-inch back it would have been less hassle.   

I’ll write up more on the install later.  I never was able to contact the Instagrammer I posted above, so I have no idea if they had the same issues.  

1D09EC78-9D15-4B76-808D-AE5EF8F56766.jpeg

Looks about like mine?

aug19-right-quarter-tc.jpg

I found installation ridiculously easy...

... except when my fingers cramped writing the check to the guy who installed them.  ;-}

* I will say, in this case, the boxier style of the older type one body paid off as there aren't any complex curves to deal with. 

7 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Looks about like mine?

I found installation ridiculously easy...

... except when my fingers cramped writing the check to the guy who installed them.  ;-}

* I will say, in this case, the boxier style of the older type one body paid off as there aren't any complex curves to deal with. 

I know the whole profile of your van is different than G2 models, but that window looks a good bit smaller than 15x24" like this thread has? Height alone will make a big difference when it comes to a curved vertical profile. 

Moral of that story - go with smaller windows? <G>

Vintage Technologies is about 100 mile round trip from here, so I stopped by their shop so they could have a peek at what I had to work with, then went with their recommendations.  They also marked the panels to show where to put them for the guy who did the install. Side windows are 21x14 (VT #WD07) ,  and rear doors are 16x14 (VT #WD03).  You also have to match the trim rings to the body - TC used "0" thickness rings designed for thin panels like mine. 

Anyway - I figured most anything would be better than no windows at all, but was pleasantly surprised by how much visibility improved, both side and back, especially after gutting the cargo wall. I've also got a backup camera, but prefer to actually see what's behind me when driving. The smaller rear windows are a good fit for the back doors I think.

topper-done-02.jpg

PS - careful with sliders - you'll want to make sure the drain holes are pointing either down or back, or you could get some water inside. Mine are right and tight ...

No complaints here, which is kind of a bummer as I really like to complain. ;-}

Edited by sKiZo

17 hours ago, sKiZo said:

I've also got a backup camera, but prefer to actually see what's behind me when driving. The smaller rear windows are a good fit for the back doors I think.

I reckon I'm just part of a dying breed, lol. I can drive just fine with only the side mirrors and specifically bought a windowless van; no cameras, bumper sensors or other fancy doodads, either. If anything, I wouldn't mind adding some roughly 6x15" (I think that's the size I was looking at) rectangular portholes high on the C/D pillar of my Gen 2, but for air circulation rather than view. Make that 7-7/8" x 15-3/4" portholes - if you look at the customer images, there's a Chevy Express that has them roughly where I'd put them, too.

4 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I really like the looks of those rear windows. They may not give you as much visibility as stock windows, but to me they add a certain "charm". ?

When you look at the inner door structure versus the "reveal" on the outside, I don't think you're really losing that much usable glass overall with those sliders - and opening them for fresh air would be more than worth any assumed loss. Swapping to barn doors with factory glass would probably only give a 10-15% gain in usable glass, which I mean as the area you actually look through, rather than the giant border that's glued over steel with factory glass. 

Bugs can be right tasty ...

Here's what the rear windows on my type one look like inside. You can see the only modification (other than cutting the hole) was prying off the vertical panel stiffener from the cargo insert.

rear-windows.jpg

Oh. And easy enough to see - the van is still a work in progress.  Kinda sorta got side tracked - like most stuff lately ...  ;-{

Edited by sKiZo

That kind of seems odd to even have a stiffening rib in that spot on the barn doors, lol. Gen 2 doesn't have it, Ford engineers must have figured out it wasn't needed for such a small panel. We do have a vertical rib on the C/D panel "window" area, though.  BTW, these aluminum covers are drilled now & held on with the original plastic push pin things with Roxul insulation inside the door, lol. Looks way better than the factory cards, although my homemade "Lizard Skin" detracts from the nice appearance... 

IMAG0617.thumb.jpg.da7352b001bd8a811614a87c0046ed52.jpg

I'll be doing inset panels on the rear doors and left wall across from the kitchen and was wondering what to do with the rest of the metal. You can get four way stretch cloth like the pros use, but ... you really got to be a pro to put that stuff in right. And I ain't that, eh.

Found this stuff and will give it a go. Got a six pack sitting in the garage in a tan that's a pretty decent match for the stock upholstery. 

340541_0918_ATO_10oz_PeelCoat_RuggedSilv

You get a rough textured matte surface, and I'm thinking one would be hard pressed to see any difference between that and the cloth if you squint a bit. You also get some time to decide whether you like it or not - it's supposed to peel easily for the first couple months before bonding hard to the metal. Once that happens, it's supposed to handle knocks and scrapes nicely. Wish me luck, eh.

Edited by sKiZo

Looks like Rustoleum brand of PlastiDip, lol. Except for the part where this will apparently cure hard after a couple months. But that makes me wonder about the people actually using it on bumpers like the can shows - constantly respraying rock chips & such for the first couple months while it slowly hardens?? 

Put it on thick enough, and the rocks would probably stick to it and add texture. ;-}

I do know PlastiDip never really hardens up and holds up fine on my wheels anyway. I get a little rust showing thru, just touch that up and I'm good. I did these a couple years ago.

wheel-covers.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Interior view of the driver side window, and the interference due to mounting too far forward:

2DFB1B37-7DE9-448C-B022-1CE077CF1DD6.jpeg

I drilled and installed some extra extra screws to try to pull the window closer to the curve of the door panel.  

Edited by KevinRollin