Ford Transit Connect Forum

BARN DOORS to Lift Gate

Loop79

Hi. We just bought a 2019 ford transit connect and it currently has barn doors in the back. My husband would have preferred a lift gate version but they didn’t have one. Is it possible to switch out?? If not, any suggestions for adding some short of shade for the back?

I've actually looked into it a little bit myself. I have a barn door cargo van (no windows at all in back) and there's times that I definitely wouldn't mind having a liftgate, instead. At one point, I had a loaner TC passenger wagon with the liftgate, so I had taken pictures of where the brackets mount on top, plus pictures of the side connections & wiring. On the top, you'll see the triangle pattern where the bolts for the liftgate brackets go, but of course they're not drilled-out on a barn-door van. From what I remember, the studs were welded to the brackets, so there would be nuts that get installed from inside the van. Then you'd need to install the hydraulic lift shocks & redo some wiring. The used liftgates that I've found were usually $500+, so not a worthwhile upgrade for me. 

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the pictures anymore, unless I misplaced them in my USB hard drive in a folder that's not related to Transit Connect, lol. For shade, I'd just check your states tint laws and get the darkest legal tint installed, use high-quality ceramic tint for maximum heat-reduction, too. People doing camper TC's will make Reflectix shades to fit the windows and block sun/heat/peeping Tom's.

We drove a couple of barn door vans while shopping for our passenger van and I never did get used to the 'dead spot' in the center when looking in the mirror, so we knew when we bought one it HAD to be a lift gate  -  We never buy whatever they have on the lot . . . . we shop for exactly what we want, even when buying used.  Often times, it ends up being not so close to home, but it's worth it to get what you want instead of settling for something you won't be happy with for the next several years

Our 2017 Volt was 1,000 miles from home and we flew up and made a vacation out of bringing it home.  Our motor home was 600 miles away in Florida and we made that a 3 day trip, driving over in our TC and coming back in two vehicles.  Our 2014 TC was in Georgia, 350 miles away and again it was one car going over and two coming back.  I'm trying to remember the last time we bought a vehicle closer than 100 miles from home . . . . the fact that I can't recall one either means it's been a really long time, or I'm just getting old  -  Probably both!  ?

Don

This is attached on one end to the crossbar on the roof rack and supported on the other end by two telescopic poles secured with guy lines.About 10 min setup depending on whether for quick temporary shade or longer term rain protection.

We camp and have a slide out kitchen unit.

Screenshot_20181025-081504.jpg

@Loop79 - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new van. Would love to see a few pics of your van to make it official.

See the link below to what another forumite did for shade. That was a pretty nice setup with a barn door van.

Adding shade to the back can be done many ways but knowing more about your specific situation(s) and requirements would be helpful.

Example - will wind be an issue, beach use, camping use, tailgating in a parking lot.

Edited by windguy

• 1 year later...

@Loop79: As others have replied, it's really easy to rig up some sort of canopy atop the dual rear doors.  Just use your imagination ?

I have owned my 2020 FTC PW XLT LWB since December, purchased brand new.  I'm really glad that I purchased the dual rear door version. 

There are so many benefits, but the ones that I like best are:

- You can backup to within 2-feet of a wall and still get a door open to load/unload

- You can just open one of the doors to load/unload small items

- There is a latch that lets you open the rear door from inside the car. Nice feature when you're camping and sleeping inside the car.

Good Luck ??

Edited by Webguyjv

I prefer the lift gate version, Beacuse I also have a tailgate tent that gives me and extra room on the back and with the professional made conversion I bought I have a huge double bad that can be set up as a single and a Dining table as well as a slide out Kitchen and with the Awning I also have another sleeping are or a day room, It can also sleep 4 people and have seating for 5 people,,

It also has a small Lithium 12v stand alone power system and portable 12v Lithium power packs / Solar Generators and 2 X 115Ah Deep cycle batteries with a 1500w Inverter as well as 230v Shore Hookup Power and it's own 12v System So I have 5 power options in total.

This is like my Tailgate Tent/Awning,

https://www.thecampercoshop.com/reimo-upgrade-2-cabin-tailgate-tent-for-vw-t4-t5-t6