Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transmission dipstick retrofit

Eddy Kilowatt

Has anyone looked into whether there's a chance of using a dipstick in this trans? 

I believe that the first few years of the 6F35, in some applications, had a dipstick... then at some point it was deleted.   Did they need the space inside the case for something else?  Were too many people being careless and putting dirt back into the transmission?  Did they just want to save a buck?  For whatever reason, we're left with a level-check procedure that's cumbersome at best -- unless you have a lift -- and an impediment to frequent and regular trans fluid changes.

Flipping idly through the manual, it looks like the vent/fill port (upper left in the render below) might go into the solenoid/valve body chamber, which at least doesn't have any spinning or moving parts... I haven't been able to confirm from other views whether that's the case.  A tech who overhauls these for a living would probably have the best idea whether there's "stuff" in there that would interfere with a dipstick.   Peering into the vent hole with a flashlight (or a borescope!) would probably be the next reality check.

Capture.JPG

I think deleting the dipstick had more to do with being able to access the dipstick.  Look at the layout under the hood.  There is a radiator hose right on top of the vent cap.  There's no way for a dipstick to slide in & out.  I think that the fill level port on the side is sufficient.  Most people never pull the dipstick anyway.  And if they do, they have no idea what the temperature of the transmission is, so the dipstick is useless.  Depending on the transmission, it must be checked within a certain temperature range.  And most people have no way of knowing transmission fluid temperature.  For years, people have been reading dipsticks wrong, and maintaining the fluid level wrong.  The dipstick almost hurts more than it helps.

So if you had a dipstick, the hashmark range would be good for 150 - 170, which is what Ford considers to be the "warmed Up" temperature of the transmission.  At 190, the fluid cooler bypass valve is closed, allowing transmission fluid to flow to the heat exchanger.  Operating temperatures between 190 - 225, the transmission fluid is now much hotter, and the volume has expanded.  The dipstick will appear as overfilled.  

If you look at the transmission case, you'll notice the fill level port is much lower than the vent cap.  The vent cap is part of the cooling system, as it allows heat to vent.  Idling at 185, fluid should be level with the hole.  As the car is moving, the temperature will rise, and the fluid volume will expand.  If you open the fill level port at 225, and drain to level, your transmission will be low in fluid once the temperature decreases.    If you get up to 250, the vent cap will also release excess expanded fluid so that your transmission does not become a pressure cooker.  If you reach transmission temperatures of up to 250, you should visit a transmission service center at your next available opportunity.  

Edited by Fifty150

I have. I have the  dip stick that goes with the Trans . As i have a lift the  plan has not been put into motion.  I will let you know how it turns out.

On most transmissions the fill tube enters the pan lower than the vent and requires a rubber O ring seal the a leak.

The if the dip stick has only one full mark then it is calibrated to the fluid level hot, if there are two marks one will be cold and one will be at operating temp.

Edited by G B L

When the details of adding a dipstick to the trans are made public here, I'll be the second one to do the mod.  I change my fluid frequently and the lack of a dipstick really burns me up  -  I lambast Ford out loud every time I get under the van to check the fluid level . . . . what idiot thought eliminating a $5 dipstick was a good idea??  Must be the same idiot who declared the 6F35 was a "Lifetime, Maintenance Free" transmission

Don

I'd assumed that when there was a dipstick, it used the same location as the vent plug we have now. 

Googling around a bit last night, I didn't see any 6F35's with such a dipstick, but I did see several with an ungainly external dipstick tube plumbed back into the final drive/differential housing, like this unit (below) from a 2011-2012 Fusion.

That's not what I had in mind, and would be a major hassle to modify and fit into the foreshortened TC engine bay so, unless I (or anyone) comes across some other form of 6F35 dipstick, I guess the answer to my initial question is "no chance, at least without major work".

Capture.JPG

Keep in mind that the current 6F35 is the 2nd generation.  So there are differences when you see different photos online.  Kind of like online dating, where the photo is 10 years old.  

In the cars with the 8 speed transmission, Ford is going back to using auxiliary oil to air coolers.  I suspect that the new coolers will mount nicely into the older cars.  

The dip stick in the picture is the correct one and it was on the escape through 2013,  the 6f-35 that is coupled to the 2.5 is the same.  The install will not need the vent tube for the Tc install , the plug is in the correct place on the TC. I will up date when I get to it.

There never was a dip stick at the vent location.

Edited by G B L

Looking at Eddy Kilowatt's photo, I have a hard time imagining how that dipstick would fit.  Sure, you could easily tap a hole into the transmission case,  and the mounting points are already there for the hardware.  I just can't imagine it running along the firewall, and then up through the battery tray.

• 2 months later...

I use the oil dipstick, just because it was handy.

After I refilled the transmission and used the level port I put the oil dipstick in the filler tube until it met the first point of resistence (not sure what I  was hitting) and made note of where the top of the dipstick was in relation to the surrounding environment. Then I looked at the oil level on the stick while the engine was hot and running on level ground. I also measured the oil level in the same way when it was off and cold to take some of the pain out of pulling the plug from behind the hot water hose. But that didn't fix the leak :)

I tried using the filler tube when the engine was hot and running to add fluid while the engine was hot while observing the leveling port, but the funnel melted where it touched the heater hose :) I guess I should have overfilled while cold and drained the excess while hot and running. But now that I know where the level is by the dip stick I can add those 28 ounces every 1000 miles and be reassured of an accurate fill. 

If there had been a dip stick, I'm sure the thing wouldn't have been two quarts low when I bought it from the used car dealer.

Edited by Ben Obo
Yes.

• 1 year later...

I just had to take the air cleaner assembly out to change my battery and found what looked to be a tranny fill port with a small black plastic lid that had dipstick markings and a note "engine must be running".  I thought tranny, but no?????
Power steering?  2016 2.5