Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rich code no overdrive

Schmittey

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Just switching out an 02 sensor doesn't fix the problem.  You need to figure out why you are running rich.

I know but took a crap shot. I think he has two different problems. But no engine light I wish he would have waited till I got here to buy it if I would have known I would have brought my scanner. Going to try to get to the vss sensor today and look for leaky injectors and maf sensor.

Edited by Schmittey

Hopefully, it will be an easy fix.  Here's a generic version.

What Does P0172 Mean?

Combustion engines run most efficiently when they maintain an air-fuel mixture ratio of 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. When the upstream oxygen sensor detects there are less than 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel in the air-fuel mixture, a rich condition exists. To keep the engine running properly, the powertrain control module (PCM) tries to compensate for the rich condition by injecting less fuel to the mixture in an effort to maintain the proper 14.7:1 air-fuel ratio. When these adjustments become too large, code P0172 is triggered.

P0172 Symptoms

• Check Engine Light is on
  • Lack of power from the engine
  • Rough idle
  • Engine hesitating
  • Engine misfiring

P0172 Causes

• Dirty or faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
  • Faulty oxygen sensor
  • Leaky fuel injectors allowing too much fuel into the combustion cylinders
  • Worn spark plugs
  • Stuck fuel pressure regulator
  • Faulty coolant temperature sensor
  • Faulty coolant thermostat

10 hours ago, Double Nickels said:

Hopefully, it will be an easy fix.  Here's a generic version.

What Does P0172 Mean?

Combustion engines run most efficiently when they maintain an air-fuel mixture ratio of 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. When the upstream oxygen sensor detects there are less than 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel in the air-fuel mixture, a rich condition exists. To keep the engine running properly, the powertrain control module (PCM) tries to compensate for the rich condition by injecting less fuel to the mixture in an effort to maintain the proper 14.7:1 air-fuel ratio. When these adjustments become too large, code P0172 is triggered.

P0172 Symptoms

• Check Engine Light is on
  • Lack of power from the engine
  • Rough idle
  • Engine hesitating
  • Engine misfiring

P0172 Causes

• Dirty or faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
  • Faulty oxygen sensor
  • Leaky fuel injectors allowing too much fuel into the combustion cylinders
  • Worn spark plugs
  • Stuck fuel pressure regulator
  • Faulty coolant temperature sensor
  • Faulty coolant thermostat

I only see one temp sensor gauge looks good. All others have been addressed  except the injectors and the FPR I can not find where to put a pressure gauge on it. Will OHM the injectors but not sure if that will tell me if they leak or not do not risk a fire any help with this test will be great.

Right now the gas mileage sucks and it won't go in overdrive. If I reset it the overdrive will work till the code resets.

No check engine light and the engine runs fine.

Edited by Schmittey

• 3 years later...