Ford Transit Connect Forum

Engine misfires at idle

Miss Marilyn

I am now the proud owner of a used 2012 Ford Transit Connect XLT. This has been an experience of a lifetime, some parts of it not so good, and this is part of it. When I finally got my transit back from very bad people who I sent after it, a ten hour drive, one way, I noticed the engine misfired kinda bad. We pulled the coil packs and spark plugs out, and one of the plugs had oil on it. I go out and buy 4 new coil packs and 4 new spark plugs. At first, this seem to help the citation completely! Then I noticed it would run great while driving down the road, but missing a little while idling. Then after driving the transit the second time, it went right back to dying when stopping the vehicle, or trying to go forward, it would misfire terribly. The air conditioner would seem to have a lot to do with this. Can anyone please give me information about this?  I’m almost thinking about calling it quits, because I was warned by a shade tree mechanic, my truck has a burned valve in it. Do you guys agree, or is there a cheaper route to take?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your issue is probably all due to the oil you found on one of the spark plugs  -  Until you find what's causing that and get it fixed, everything you're doing is just putting a band--aid on a deep wound which is never going to heal

You bought this sight unseen from 10 hours away without a mechanic checking it out thoroughly?  ?  Lesson to be learned there!

Don

It may not be as bad as it sounds  -  I know on Mazda Miatas, which have a similar valve cover to our TC's (the spark plugs are in a deep well which has an O-ring at the bottom to keep oil out of the plug wells) that a frequent cause of oil in the plug wells just means you need to have the valve cover gasket replaced . . . . and use a little silicone gasket cement on it when you do the job.  I can't really imagine how a burned valve gets oil in the plug wells

But, as others have suggested, take it to a qualified mechanic and pay him what he's worth to diagnose and fix your TC

Don

Stay away from the shade tree types.  Looks like you can tackle this project on your own.  You already have tools and enough knowledge to replace the spark plugs and COPs.  You may even find an online tutorial or video, since the same engine is used on other small cars.