Ford Transit Connect Forum

Eliminating 4.2" screen on a 2015

I see that Spiral Audio sells a dash kit which eliminates the 4.2" screen and in place, there is a small cubby.  I'd like to do this as i'm installing an aftermarket radio.  What exactly will i lose?  I'm looking at the Wiring + SWC Retention (+$59.99) option.

I should say... i don't have radio controls on my steering wheel.  So would i just be buying the Wiring + SWC Retention harness to keep the vans chime sounds?

https://www.spiralaudio.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1306&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo5zJx-yO5AIVuSCtBh2rGA0iEAQYAiABEgLS-_D_BwE

KT-FRD011B-340x340.jpg

Edited by dirt huffer
Clarity

Not sure how it would look, maybe you could add some usb ports in the cubby.  My Volt has a cubby on top of the dash with a cigarette lighter which makes a very hand place to plug in a Garmin (don't have built in navigation) or charge my cell phone.  Ive seen other kits that are just for a big radio - Crutchfields has one.

I posed this same question to Crutchfield when I was chatting with one of their sales advisors. I want a double din head unit but not one that necessarily is a touch screen. He basically said that he didn't know if I could keep the 4.2" display just for the backup camera.

I did some digging on the wiring/conversion harness manufacturers websites and all I can find is maybe? Nothing really stated that you can keep or eliminate the small display when installing an aftermarket head unit.

My guess is that if you get an aftermarket head unit that supports a backup camera, you can adapt the head unit to use the factory camera using a harness or wire.

Without the steering wheel controls, I'm not sure what all you would need. All the extra stuff that Crutchfield recommended was for keeping the steering wheel mounted controls. You might want to just ask them either through the online chat or over the phone. They are nice people and will really try to answer your questions without being pushy.

Edited by stanger_missle

The 4.2" screen looks really dated now and aftermarket 2-din media receivers are so much nicer in quality.  Plus i can hook up a back up camera to any modern 2-din touch screen.  

I'll report back in a few weeks once i do the modification, with my findings.  There is really no need to keep the 4.2" screen when you can plug in your back up camera to a much nicer HD display on an aftermarket deck - IMHO ☺️

24 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

OEM cameras do not use RCA plugs like aftermarket cameras do, so y'all shouldn't expect the camera to just swap over to an aftermarket DIN radio. I suspect you'll be running a whole new camera with wiring. 

Yep!! My Connect didn't come with a camera

I'm going to go with the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX media receiver and Pioneer NDBC8 camera

Image result for Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX

image.jpeg

Edited by dirt huffer

I'm going through a slightly different process now as my stock radio just died.  My objective was to keep it as cheap as possible without buying another FORD Radio.  I wanted to keep the 4.2 for my backup camera and I do all my nav with my phone anyway.  I got the Metra kit for this configuration and I'm installing a DoubleDIN Sony radio.  

Haven't got the steering  wheel controls working yet, but the Radio works and facia kit isn't amazing but looks good enough.

All that said, my suspicion is that there is a way to splice the existing camera into the harness of almost any radio, if you can just identify the right wires. 

On 8/23/2019 at 4:35 AM, stanger_missle said:

I posed this same question to Crutchfield when I was chatting with one of their sales advisors. I want a double din head unit but not one that necessarily is a touch screen. He basically said that he didn't know if I could keep the 4.2" display just for the backup camera.

I did some digging on the wiring/conversion harness manufacturers websites and all I can find is maybe? Nothing really stated that you can keep or eliminate the small display when installing an aftermarket head unit.

My guess is that if you get an aftermarket head unit that supports a backup camera, you can adapt the head unit to use the factory camera using a harness or wire.

Without the steering wheel controls, I'm not sure what all you would need. All the extra stuff that Crutchfield recommended was for keeping the steering wheel mounted controls. You might want to just ask them either through the online chat or over the phone. They are nice people and will really try to answer your questions without being pushy.

Weird that they couldn't tell you.  I used their website and it had options for use with 4.2 screen.  This is what it looks like now.

IMG_20190905_074006972.thumb.jpg.efe93a8f36eecfc36d5a9ead931124ea.jpg

Still working out a couple kinks (will start a separate topic) but the radio and the rear camera work.

I compared the options the website gave me for with and without steering controls and they appear near identical except that if you don't want steering wheel controls, you just leave off the 46 buck steering control module. 

The aftermarket kits which give you steering wheel controls for the audio on your aftermarket radio *almost always* require you to give up the little screen and your back-up camera  -  They use the cable off that screen to tap into the CanBus signals.  I have the Pioneer NEX-6100 nav radio installed, but kept the screen and my OEM back-up camera.  Not sure Fords camera is compatible with your aftermarket radio, even if you knew which wires to tap into.  It's a CanBus device too and I don't think aftermarket stereos are know what to do with those signals . . . . they're looking for a plain old video signal

Anyway, good luck with your install and let us know if you find anything promising.  The cheapest solution since you weren't looking for a nav stereo would have been to buy a used radio just like the one that came in your TC  on eBay  -  Lots of those kicking around for $40 or $50

Don

1 hour ago, Beta Don said:

The aftermarket kits which give you steering wheel controls for the audio on your aftermarket radio *almost always* require you to give up the little screen and your back-up camera  -  They use the cable off that screen to tap into the CanBus signals.  I have the Pioneer NEX-6100 nav radio installed, but kept the screen and my OEM back-up camera.  Not sure Fords camera is compatible with your aftermarket radio, even if you knew which wires to tap into.  It's a CanBus device too and I don't think aftermarket stereos are know what to do with those signals . . . . they're looking for a plain old video signal

Good to know.

I'm reading over the directions and it tells me which wires to splice so I think I'll be OK, but I'll let you all know.

Here's the instructions I'll be following.

https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_254.pdf

If it doesn't work I'll return the SWC kit to Crutchfield as they sold it as being compatible with the 4.2" Screen option.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it works, with a twist.  You need to have the 4.2 screen plugged in, in order to have the aftermarket radio turn on.  At least with the harness i bought.  BUT, you can hide the 4.2 screen in the giant cavity that houses the radio :)

Antenna Adapter $5.98

Axxess XSVI-5524-NAV  $35

Spiral Audio dash kit $59.99

Air Bag Switch - Ford (BK2Z-10A936-B)  $6.52 at local dealership

------------------------------------------------------

Kenwood DMX7706s $285 eBay    (i dont actually recommend this deck and will be selling it)

------------------------------------------------------

1.jpg

IMAG1161.jpg

IMAG1162.jpg

IMAG1189.jpg

IMAG1193.jpg

IMAG1196.jpg

IMAG1197.jpg

IMAG1198.jpg

My last new vehicle prior to buying my 2016 TC was a 2011 Nissan Frontier. I got a serious reality check when I got the TC home and discovered there was no easy way to even install a Sirius radio Rx! Don't know if it's the same with other brands these days, but now I know that if I buy another Ford I'd better be sure it comes off the lot with everything I want on it cause it's difficult/impossible to add aftermarket products. I'm at an age where I don't want to do this stuff anymore either - which doesn't help. I don't even do my own oil changes now. Didn't want to have to buy and store ramps just to get into the engine compartment. In the 1960's it was a no-brainer to get to almost anything on a vehicle. It's so difficult now that I've pretty much accepted my shade-tree-mechanic days are over. The only thing I've added to my TC is a hitch.

2 hours ago, tcconvert said:

My last new vehicle prior to buying my 2016 TC was a 2011 Nissan Frontier. I got a serious reality check when I got the TC home and discovered there was no easy way to even install a Sirius radio Rx! Don't know if it's the same with other brands these days, but now I know that if I buy another Ford I'd better be sure it comes off the lot with everything I want on it cause it's difficult/impossible to add aftermarket products. I'm at an age where I don't want to do this stuff anymore either - which doesn't help. I don't even do my own oil changes now. Didn't want to have to buy and store ramps just to get into the engine compartment. In the 1960's it was a no-brainer to get to almost anything on a vehicle. It's so difficult now that I've pretty much accepted my shade-tree-mechanic days are over. The only thing I've added to my TC is a hitch.

That's actually totally wrong.  Almost every aftermarket radio comes with Sirius Radio as an option.  I bet you could get Sirius and a much better sounding aftermarket stereo with dash kit and wiring harness for $300 

Just give Crutchfield a ring on your rotary dial telephone and they'll tell you exactly what you need.  Just tell them what you drive, what you want (Sirius), and the price you want to pay, and there experts will tell you what to buy.  Their experts are super knowledgeable and extremely helpful...  much easier than trying to figure it out on your own

Edited by dirt huffer

5 hours ago, tcconvert said:

I added a Curt hitch, myself. Took about 20 minutes alone, including getting the car on the ramps in back, lol. My van didn't have cruise control, base XL, so I added factory cruise control for about $125 for the steering wheel and 5 minutes of my time on the laptop enabling CC feature. No aftermarket kits or wire splicing required. 

My 2015 XL van with AM/FM/Aux base stereo has (obviously) an Aux port, down in the center console below my elbow. I "bought" a free Sirius XM radio kit during a Christmas sale in 2015, plugged it in & been good ever since. No extra parts or real work needed since the radio sits in the cupholder, aside from running the antenna wire up the B-pillar and onto the roof.