Ford Transit Connect Forum

2019 TC Wagon Backup assist Fault

bdmridgeback

Hi Guys!  Just signed up for the Forum after doing a search for this very issue.

My problem was noted at test drive and  thought it was just where the dealer plates had been hung close to the bumper sensor. That was early March 2019. Unfortunately it
happened on my way home after taking delivery and happens almost every time reverse is selected.

Each time the vehicle has been serviced, inspected I raise this issue and to date this has been looked at 5 to 6 times by 2 dealers over 10 months. In  In October the Parking
Aid Module was replaced under warranty and this did not cure the problem.

I am now harassing the salesman that sold me the vehicle who has been helpful and has tried to resolve the issue within the dealership.

2 weeks ago I called Ford and was given a case number and advised to call my Service Manager. Today I called again and received a second case number and was told to expect contact from Fords local Area Manager within 24 hour.

My Ford Dealer has been great, but as I see it they are stuck between a 'rock and a hard place'.

They acknowledge and can replicate the problem, they have implemented what Ford has instructed them to do. And the latest I was told is that the problem is with Ford Engineering.

They belive the problem is in the wiring harness, but it could take hours to find and repair and probably days to replace.  My dealer will not expend time if Ford are not going to pay!

Meantime, we have this issue that frankly 'Pisses me OFF!" every time I select reverse gear.  I think i'll text the sales guy every time this happens, Piss him off too!

I suppose next step would be to get the detector system replaced. Seems to me, that's a separate module mounted up behind the rear bumper cover? I know it was an option on the earlier models that could be added after delivery if you decided you couldn't live without it, and it 's a fairly simple procedure until the bolts seize with age.

Then again, could be some way to adjust the sensitivity of the detector array once they get in there. 

Then again, could be your mechanics haven't bothered to read the book and doesn't know to apply some super secret code in the TC's brain ... 

Luck wit it. Worse comes to worse, just disconnect the thing - my grand daddy got er done with mirrors and hand signals, eh.  ;-}

Edited by sKiZo

Hello, everyone! I think the problem has been solved…

My local Ford dealer said that a TSB had been published stating that the vehicle required reprogramming on the PAM module. The service was performed, and I have not had an issue since.

Any word from anyone else?

About what I figured though ... stoopid computers!

Be interesting to find out when that bulletin was published. If it's been a while, shame on the dealer who's supposed to keep up with that stuff. If it's something they finally just came up with due to customer complaints, well ... way to go, team! Score one for the squeaky wheels of the world!

22 hours ago, sKiZo said:

About what I figured though ... stoopid computers!

I think it is not the  computer but the programer or algorithm.  I think more of the  people who write the algorithm's should actually drive the cars.

Taking mine in this coming Monday for the TSB. I noticed that it was originally posted in November 2019? I had not heard from the dealer and/or Ford. We'll see..

UPDATE: Went in for service yesterday. Reprogramming complete in about 1.5 hours, no charge. No issues so far.

Edited by BlackManta2020
Update: Reprogramming complete

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My 2016 LWB wagon (95000-Km) just started to give the same problem. Wonder if its loose wires/connectors in the bumper? Otherwise the back-up camera works aok. BUT the "P" switch does NOT work - it stays lit [as when turned off manually].

Edited by Gideon