Ford Transit Connect Forum

With no glass in pass side sliding door,I have been sick and and tired of parking lot idiots honking as I try to slowly back out of a parking space.Can't always back in,pull through or park in the back 40.

When I got a cracked windshield a few weeks ago,I inquired about adding a glass panel in the side door.

The owner had never done one before but looked into it a said it didn't look like a problem.I told him under $200 you have a deal.

So for $190 I can see much better on my blind side.  Dark tint,you can barely see in.

You may not get the same price unless they are doing an insurance claim but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Why did I wait 2 1/2 yrs?

A Wizard Auto Glass    Enfield CT

0727191924.jpg

0727191918.jpg

That's even better than my wagon since it doesn't have the fixed/roll down split in the middle. I'm definitely adding the 2nd row window options when I do my custom order on a TC van in the next couple years.

A few weeks back a coworker was riding in my TC for the first time as we went to lunch. A little ways down the road he suddenly starts looking all around then comments on how great the visibility was and it's like there's nothing but windows. Personally, I really like the huge rear window in the liftgate. When using the rear view mirror it's like there's nothing there at all since I've removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats so absolutely no obstructions in the way.

Edited by DonShockley

19 hours ago, DonShockley said:

Personally, I really like the huge rear window in the liftgate. When using the rear view mirror it's like there's nothing there at all since I've removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats so absolutely no obstructions in the way.

Me too!  The first TC we ever drove was a cargo van and I never got used to the blank spot right in the center when using the inside mirror  -  I had to check 2 or 3 times to make sure things were clear.  Carolyn liked it even less than I did, so we decided then and there that whatever we bought, it would have the liftgate

We've just been spoiled by driving cars with excellent visibility all around.  I know there are guys who make a living driving panel vans with no side or rear windows and they never give it a second thought  -  I'm sure they see all they need to with just the side mirrors, but for me, that just isn't comfortable at all

Don

With the cargo vans, you force yourself to trust the mirrors.  No choice. You learn to use more reference points.  You learn to look for lines painted on the ground as a guide to back up straight.  You also learn to take you time slowly backing into parking spaces, so that you don't have to back out blind.  A lot easier to back into a parking space once you learn to pull up next to it, turn away from it so that your rear is lined up at a better angle, then back in using the lines on the floor and the vehicles on either side as reference points.

The new vehicles with back up cameras are so much nicer.  I even added a backup camera to my pickup truck.  

When I started looking for a FTC, I wanted a van with no side windows and the solid barn doors in the rear. My plan was to install sliding horse trailer style windows in the blank panels. I found a 2015 XLT van for less than I was expecting but it had windows in the sliding doors and rear barn doors. I wasn't too sure I'd be willing to compromise having the windows but after driving it, I'm glad that they are there.

I can always install a sliding, screened horse trailer style window in the rear side panels if I want opening rear windows.

That install looks good JackGrimshaw! And for a good price as well!

On 7/29/2019 at 3:46 PM, Beta Don said:

I know there are guys who make a living driving panel vans with no side or rear windows and they never give it a second thought  -  I'm sure they see all they need to with just the side mirrors, but for me, that just isn't comfortable at all

Don

I don't make a living off my cargo van, just a personal vehicle, but I don't give no-windows a second thought, either. The only upgrade I want to do is the 'large' mirrors to replace the 'small' ones, for the better blind-spot mirror. I've gotten by just fine for over 4 years now with the small ones, but the extra view would be a nice thing to have. But dang are those large mirrors pretty expensive, even from wrecking yards & Car-Part - and a lot of these Car-Part wrecking yards don't know the difference, I'm seeing a lot of small mirrors listed as large... Some day, haha.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:15 PM, Fifty150 said:

You also learn to take you time slowly backing into parking spaces, so that you don't have to back out blind.  A lot easier to back into a parking space once you learn to pull up next to it, turn away from it so that your rear is lined up at a better angle, then back in using the lines on the floor and the vehicles on either side as reference points. 

Backing *into* a parking slot has never made a lick of sense to me . . . . and most of the people who do it never seem to get centered in their own space, so when I park next to them, there's hardly room for me to open my door  -  I wish back in parking could be outlawed

Pulling in front, it's easy to get centered in the slot and then backing out, you just hold the steering wheel fixed and you'll back out in the same track you pulled in with  -  No danger of hitting the car on either side of you like there is when you back in.  My Chevy Volt has radar sensors in the back end which alert me to any cross traffic and the screen in the dash shows me which direction it's coming from and when I see the car pass on the screen, it's safe to start backing again

Around here, when we see a car sloppily backed in to a space (it's actually pretty rare to see anybody who has backed into a parking space) we just say (under our breath) "California Driver!"  ?

Don

47 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

Backing *into* a parking slot has never made a lick of sense to me . . . . and most of the people who do it never seem to get centered in their own space, so when I park next to them, there's hardly room for me to open my door  -  I wish back in parking could be outlawed

Pulling in front, it's easy to get centered in the slot and then backing out, you just hold the steering wheel fixed and you'll back out in the same track you pulled in with  -  No danger of hitting the car on either side of you like there is when you back in.  My Chevy Volt has radar sensors in the back end which alert me to any cross traffic and the screen in the dash shows me which direction it's coming from and when I see the car pass on the screen, it's safe to start backing again

Around here, when we see a car sloppily backed in to a space (it's actually pretty rare to see anybody who has backed into a parking space) we just say (under our breath) "California Driver!"  ?

Don

LOL.....yes, the crooked backing parkers are the ones that do not know how to use mirrors. The positive side of backing into any situation at time of arrival is the driver has the most control of and a birds eye view of the whole situation before doing so. Whereas backing afterwards the driver is somewhat blind of whats around them with less control of the situation and with todays high speed drivers a situation can change less than a second. Backing at arrival is in all "defensive driving and truck/equipment driving safety classes". If it were up to me ALL drivers would have to watch a defensive driving video to get their drivers license renewed primarily for on road etiquette and safety........something that seems to have been lost and traded for saving time in todays go fast world.      

I pretty much always back up to the parking spot. There's a very good reason for it - I have a good overview of the surroundings when arriving, not so much when backing out of the parking spot. Nothing actually.

2 hours ago, desert_connect said:

Backing at arrival is in all "defensive driving and truck/equipment driving safety classes".

Sure. Imagine pulling in cab first, up to a dock.  

New motorcycle riders park with the front tire up to the curb.  Most people I see riding, back into the curb.  

But it's all perspective.  For somebody who has never had to back out, without being able to see, and lots of oncoming traffic......as opposed to someone who seen those collisions happen.....same way we all view the world through a different filter.  

What I don't understand is parking 2' - 3' from the curb.  Don't they know that the car is encroaching upon a live lane of traffic?

Or criminals.  Crooks strategically park so that they can make a fast getaway.

Worst parking plan has to be in San Francisco.  Pedestrians on curb.  Then a bike lane.  Cars are parked in what should be a live lane of traffic.  

We also have those famous streets with no parking curbside.  Traffic lanes are painted red, as a red zone you can't drive in, just like a red zone you can't park in.  Unless you are Municipal Railway Train, Taxi, or Commercial Vehicle.  Bikes are allowed in bike lanes.  Great if you have commercial plates.  Not like other places where the signs don't allow trucks.  During rush hour, when everyone is sitting in gridlock, you have your own VIP lane.  An entire VIP street.  

8th at clementina.jpg

8th overhead.jpg

market street.jpg

powell street.jpg