Ford Transit Connect Forum

Operation Adventure Transit

Mission 1- Operation Transit Freedom.

I was able to rescue my Transit from a lifetime of point A-B trips and imprisonment as a business cargo mule.

December

6462962313_c6320122ca.jpg

January

6701975341_b09457fe9a_z.jpg

February

6945864541_c97e053383_z.jpg

My short term goals:

Lifted Transit Connect

Transit Connect Light Bar

Transit Connect with All-Terrain Tires.

Trailer Hitch

Upgraded sound system

Upgraded exhaust

Storage to turn the back into a bed for camping

Storage for Surfboards

Storage for Bikes

I'll keep this forum updated on the progress of Operation: Adventure Transit.

Edited by Bikesnbreakdowns

• 5 weeks later...

Mission 2- Operation Rolling Thunder.

Driving through Palm Springs on the way to Joshua Tree I noticed that having two speakers wasn't ideal for road tripping.

The aftermarket system that was installed in the car was terrible, so an upgrade was in order.

I took my transit over to Best Buy before Christmas break to have my friend install a system and make a custom box that wouldn't

compromise the utility of my new toy.

6631760281_077d841753.jpg

Kicker DX500 AMP Installed where the 3rd row windows would be.

6631779261_29ae198146.jpg

6631769087_66b27dcb4b.jpg

Kicker COMP 10" subwoofer Tucked out of the way in a custom sub-box.

6631772801_ed21135e4e.jpg

Kicker KS693 Speakers Mounted in the back doors.

6631775903_b1215cddd8.jpg

Pioneer Headunit

6631782543_98ddb2574d.jpg

Finished

6631766433_a5bc1eb5aa.jpg

Mission 3- Operation Road Less Traveled.

My battle with creating a Lifted Ford Transit.

When I purchased the van I knew lifting the Transit would be difficult. Many people lower their Transit, which looks great, but I've been down that road before; I decided to take the road less traveled. I previously had a Subaru that was lowered, making it difficult to go on road trips and off road. The Transit only has and inch less ground clearance then a Ranger See Transit vs. Ranger. So I figured a 1inch lift wouldn't be too extreme. I decided to start with the front to see if I could level out the front and rear end of the vehicle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were three options that could work.

1) Strut spacers, AKA Saggy Butt spacers in the Subaru community.

A spacer is placed on top of the strut tophat raising the vehicle

2) Spring Spacers

A spacer is placed on top of the spring raising the vehicle

3) Coilovers or Coilover Sleeves

Such as Ground Control

May explore an à la carte kit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before shots:

(Front)

7" clearance on front bumper

3.5" of fender / wheel gap

6676524391_5f9fc45d62_z.jpg

6676516065_ac7653d79c_z.jpg

6752219017_d58d65d08c_z.jpg

After shots:

(Tires)

8" clearance on front bumper ( +1")

2.75" of fender / wheel gap (-.5")

6759131415_f47ed6ef5d_z.jpg

6759132149_ac9a7405c6_z.jpg

First Transit Connect with All Terrians?

205 / 70 R15 Yokohama Geolander A /T installed on the Transit Connect

6752221591_d6a070a769_z.jpg

Mission 4- Operation Infinite Horizon.

Aires Light bar installed with lighting attachment 5TABB

(Special thanks to 103west43rd for this )

6798029699_de0b579757_z.jpg

So many wires!

6845685171_68bcaf13bd_z.jpg

Hella 700FF driving lights installed

6797734511_32d304f228_z.jpg

Hella 500FF fog lights installed

6845682975_5190ca8597_z.jpg

More pictures coming soon! :bandance:

Mission 2- Operation Rolling Thunder.

Driving through Palm Springs on the way to Joshua Tree I noticed that having two speakers wasn't ideal for road tripping.

The aftermarket system that was installed in the car was terrible, so an upgrade was in order.

I took my transit over to Best Buy before Christmas break to have my friend install a system and make a custom box that wouldn't

compromise the utility of my new toy.

6631760281_077d841753.jpg

Kicker DX500 AMP Installed where the 3rd row windows would be.

6631779261_29ae198146.jpg

6631769087_66b27dcb4b.jpg

Kicker COMP 10" subwoofer Tucked out of the way in a custom sub-box.

6631772801_ed21135e4e.jpg

Kicker KS693 Speakers Mounted in the back doors.

6631775903_b1215cddd8.jpg

Pioneer Headunit

6631782543_98ddb2574d.jpg

Finished

6631766433_a5bc1eb5aa.jpg

Looking forward to your further adventures!

I am sure you checked, but if you have not, here is some info on light bars posted in the Forum.....

I added a commercial version push bar from Aires and have a picture posted in the Photo Gallery.

NCRANCHERO posted the Setina website for the conventional version of a push bar.

ONTHEROAD added a light bar that mounts behind the license plate.

Good luck!

Looking forward to your further adventures!

I am sure you checked, but if you have not, here is some info on light bars posted in the Forum.....

I added a commercial version push bar from Aires and have a picture posted in the Photo Gallery.

NCRANCHERO posted the Setina website for the conventional version of a push bar.

ONTHEROAD added a light bar that mounts behind the license plate.

Good luck!

Thanks for adding the Aires bumper. It looks good and mounts to all the factory points (Perfect). However, It doesn't look like there are any mounting points for driving lights. Have you added lights to yours? This seems like the only solution for mounting lights on the Aires bar: 1254704180-22.jpg

Thanks for adding the Aires bumper. It looks good and mounts to all the factory points (Perfect). However, It doesn't look like there are any mounting points for driving lights. Have you added lights to yours? This seems like the only solution for mounting lights on the Aires bar: 1254704180-22.jpg

Aires offers mounts that fit anywhere along the top tubular bar. Look at the photo of my installation in the Gallery. My top lights are Driving and the two lights on the right side are fog. The fog lamps are mounted in existing holes that are used for an attachment for carrying cones I do not use. Hope that helps.

Aires offers mounts that fit anywhere along the top tubular bar. Look at the photo of my installation in the Gallery. My top lights are Driving and the two lights on the right side are fog. The fog lamps are mounted in existing holes that are used for an attachment for carrying cones I do not use. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help!

I have these on order (Part number 5TABB)

http://www.svcustoms.com/i-6233118-aries-offroad-5tabb-aluminum-light-mounting-tab.html

M31072575.jpg

As well as the stubby Aries pushbar.

http://www.svcustoms.com/i-6303880-aries-offroad-1113001-push-bar.html

M30851050.jpg

Now just need to decide on some lights....

Thanks for your help!

I have these on order (Part number 5TABB)

http://www.svcustoms...unting-tab.html

M31072575.jpg

As well as the stubby Aries pushbar.

http://www.svcustoms...1-push-bar.html

M30851050.jpg

Now just need to decide on some lights....

Perfect! One more suggestion if you do not mind. Check out Susquehanna MotorSports, www.rallylights.com. They carry the complete Hella line of lighting. Their website is a wealth of info. Very nice people to deal with. And no, I do not work for them! I went with the Hella Micro FF for a few reasons. They are rectangular to match the headlamps/the driving lights do not block too much of the grill/the two fog lamps fit in the existing holes for the cone carrier.

Attempting Option 1

Strut Spacer

I purchased a sheet of 1" HDPE

Made a template

387234_10150405424880764_539730763_8792259_1343289374_n.jpg

and shaped the HDPE with a router, jigsaw and drill.

6670952041_72de6193e1_z.jpg

Problem #1

Strut tophat bolts are too short, and are unable to be removed.

So the spacer would need to be designed like this:

6670953805_6129b5e1ee_z.jpg

Problem #2

Even if the spacer was designed as above, the strut would be too long to go back into the spindle.

Edit:

May revisit this using a Focus Camber Plate. (Solves Problem #1)

spcfocuscamber.gif

Attempting Option 2

Coilspring spacer:

daystar.png

I purchased some 20mm Ford Focus spring spacers fromTH Motorsports made by ST Suspension.

Let's see if they fit....

Looks like these are for a 2.5in coilover set up.

It did however, give me an opportunity to take some measurements:

6676533845_5f24c2fc0d_z.jpg

Perfect! One more suggestion if you do not mind. Check out Susquehanna MotorSports, www.rallylights.com. They carry the complete Hella line of lighting. Their website is a wealth of info. Very nice people to deal with. And no, I do not work for them! I went with the Hella Micro FF for a few reasons. They are rectangular to match the headlamps/the driving lights do not block too much of the grill/the two fog lamps fit in the existing holes for the cone carrier.

I purchased my Hella 1000FF kit from Susquehanna MotorSports for my Subaru. They are awesome! I have some Urethane Mudflaps I purchased from them that may need to go onto the Transit as well. AND they are a Team Dynamics Dealer. 15" 5x108 custom rally wheels would look amazing & be indestructible on the vehicle.

prorally1silver.jpg

So, it's ok I don't work for them and I'm an evangelist too!

This is a very interesting thread. I am going to retire later this year and I'm looking for a way to travel on the cheap to preserve my paltry savings. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Transit and try to live in it, say, 4 nights out of 5. I am a landscape photographer so some of the places I want to go are going to be sketchy for a one wheel drive low slung vehicle. I have thought of hauling a Honda Ruckus around but that is going to complicate things. No way this is ever going to be a competent off road vehicle, but I don't want a "spit on the pavement and get stuck driving over it" vehicle either.

Have you thought of using a separate battery/inverter setup?

I will be following your progress. Thanks for sharing.

This is a very interesting thread. I am going to retire later this year and I'm looking for a way to travel on the cheap to preserve my paltry savings. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Transit and try to live in it, say, 4 nights out of 5. I am a landscape photographer so some of the places I want to go are going to be sketchy for a one wheel drive low slung vehicle. I have thought of hauling a Honda Ruckus around but that is going to complicate things. No way this is ever going to be a competent off road vehicle, but I don't want a "spit on the pavement and get stuck driving over it" vehicle either.

Have you thought of using a separate battery/inverter setup?

I will be following your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Mike,

I plan on using the Transit for an escape from Suburbia vehicle also. Is it going to be a do anything go anywhere vehicle? No. But, it does have tons of room & gets great mileage. Exactly what you need to get away on the cheap. I was tired of going on a Surf trip, and missing a great Mountain Biking spot only because I didn't have room for all the equipment. Just want it to get me where I need to go and if it gets too rough, I can always walk or ride my bike from there.

As for the battery and inverter, I'm more of a minimalist and being that I'm also far from being retired from my 9-5, don't see my self traveling in this thing for more then 5 nights at a time. The transit has been amazing but if your planning in spending an extended time on the road and off the road (I know I would if I was retired) and still want the amenities of home, you can't go wrong with a sportsmobile. I'd definitely consider buying one if I had a daily driver to through in the mix.

Sportsmobile%20Front%20Left.jpg

PM me your website, I'd love to check out your shots.

Thanks for following my progress, it's going to be interesting to see how this thing will turn out!

WEEKEND PROJECT!

This weekend I spray painted my steelies black. OOOhhhhh shiny!

BEFORE

6701972097_e8e9d747bf_z.jpg

AFTER

6701968951_9a8f01d352_z.jpg

I have also decided to go with the steel wheels minus the factory wheel covers. I have ordered the center hub caps (comes only in black) from a UK Ford dealer that has supplied some of us on this forum with UK only parts. I will post a picture when they arrive, should be this week. The hub caps I ordered cover only the exposed hub, not the lug nuts. The UK also has hub caps (comes only in silver) that cover the lug nuts.

Speaking of lug nuts, it looks like you do not have the original factory lug nuts. The originals are very expensive from Ford. There is a posting on the forum about why.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to get out of the office last weekend for a little camp trip down to South Carlsbad State Beach. It's nice to finally have a car with space! 2 surfboards 2 bikes and all my camp equiptment and firewood fit in no problem! I was even able to set up my hammock off one of the upper tow hooks and attach it to a tree for a nice relaxing sunset!

6845680711_bd001d02b3_z.jpg

6845681063_e412b55291_z.jpg

6845681293_91c29f7c06_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have also decided to go with the steel wheels minus the factory wheel covers. I have ordered the center hub caps (comes only in black) from a UK Ford dealer that has supplied some of us on this forum with UK only parts. I will post a picture when they arrive, should be this week. The hub caps I ordered cover only the exposed hub, not the lug nuts. The UK also has hub caps (comes only in silver) that cover the lug nuts.

Speaking of lug nuts, it looks like you do not have the original factory lug nuts. The originals are very expensive from Ford. There is a posting on the forum about why.

My center hub caps finally arrived. I posted a picture in My Gallery.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man,

I couldn't believe when I first saw this. I myself just picked up a transit last week to replace my lowered wrx so I could fit more surfboards/bikes/cameras in as well. Basically I think I will be following what you have done almost exactly except I am insulating it along with adding a bed & lots of storage.

Good luck with the build!

-Will

Hey man,

I couldn't believe when I first saw this. I myself just picked up a transit last week to replace my lowered wrx so I could fit more surfboards/bikes/cameras in as well. Basically I think I will be following what you have done almost exactly except I am insulating it along with adding a bed & lots of storage.

Good luck with the build!

-Will

Will,

Your a gentlemen and a scholar. Make sure you post your build on here, I'm looking forward to see what a former Subie owner can do to transform one of these things!