Ford Transit Connect Forum

Picked up my new Transit Connect yesterday.  When I got it home and attempted to put the rear seats down, one folded just fine.  The red strap on the rear of the other one wouldn't budge, then it let go.   

I've called 4 local dealerships (Seattle area... Renton where I bought it, Kirkland, Issaquah, and Snohomish).  The only service desk to actually put a person on the phone with me was Snohomish, but there is no availability until August 8th.

First off, has anyone else had this happen?   Secondly, how hard would it be to fix it myself?     Since I didn't hear anything snap, I'm assuming the tab must have slipped off something inside. 

Thx!

IMG_9825.JPG

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-seat-frame-dt1z1760032a?origin=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDG5Kkmgfb7LjDt-zSD7ToiajnRooIEDi4tqbNT_x32chr-Hm3WIQXRoClYAQAvD_BwE

I think I could have figured it out, but the new TC, did I say NEW?? ... as in less than 24 hours in my paws, started blowing smoke on deceleration and I got the blue screen of death on the display (Carplay) console.       

My last few cars were Hondas or Subarus and I never had such a hard time getting service.... or anything break immediately.     May get to test Washington state's lemon law at this rate. 

IMG_9838.JPG

It sounds like you got problems.  More than just a little red strap failure.  

I'll say it.  Honda Acura has great service.  At least my local dealership has great service.  All cars have issues unique to certain models.  But overall, Subaru & Honda make pretty good small cars.  I would buy a Honda Civic or Accord.  Subaru would be my first choice if I wanted something smaller, nimble, with AWD for inclement weather.  I wouldn't buy a Honda pickup truck or tow a boat with a Honda Pilot.  Nor would I rock crawl with a Subaru.  Same way that you don't put stickers on a Civic, and race a Mustang.  

I hope your local dealership fixes up the van to work correctly.  When operating properly, Transit Connects fill a certain niche that other cars can't.  

Sound Ford in Renton, WA has been beyond horrible.    They've had the car since Tuesday.  They left one voicemail on Wednesday stating that a new audio power integrated module was needed, and they'd call me back on Thursday to follow up on the other issues (seat strap and smoke).    Guess what.  NO CALL BACK.   Even more disappointing is that I get disconnected 50% of the time I try to reach Service.  Most other times no one answers. The only way I seem to be getting through is to call the sales person and have them route me.   

Today is Sunday, a week to the day I picked up my TC.    I really wanted this vehicle for small jobs around town and weekend camping out on the coast.     

At this point, I want absolutely nothing to do with Ford.   Even if the vehicle problems can be fixed, I  don't know what is going to break next (they had to put a new battery in it prior to me buying it).   Given the poor customer service response, why would I want to deal with that, especially since the Subaru and Honda repair shops around here are exceptional.   

I reached out to the sales person again yesterday and asked that they unravel the entire deal.   Of course there was nothing they could do being Saturday and all and "no manager was available on a weekend to help."   Legally, I don't think they have to. There are lemon laws to be followed.   However,  more bad publicity is not something Ford needs.    They need to take care of their customers. 

Edited by Rileuy
typos

On 7/23/2019 at 11:22 PM, Rileuy said:

....     May get to test Washington state's lemon law at this rate. 

Not a lawyer, but here's a link to the Washington State lemon law section:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=19.118.041

(1) Looks like they get 40 days once you send a letter to MANUFACTURER requesting they replace or repurchase

(2) Looks like they get 2 tries for a serious safety defect, 4 tries for a "nonconformity", or it's been out of service for 30 days or more.

(3) Talks about coverage for motor homes

(4) Manufacturer is liable, not the dealer

Again, that's just my reading as a layman. I have absolutely no real legal knowledge.

Not a fun experience!  My TC has had no problems and has not been back to a Ford dealer once.  On the other hand my mother-in-law recently bought a Lincoln MKC (which I think is based on the Focus platform like the TC.  The sales person at the local Lincoln dealer was nice and helpful but didn't have the exterior and interior color combination we were looking for.  Dealer was only interested in finding the color combination with several thousand more in options.  I already knew there was one in Montgomery which is about 100 miles away. Finally talked to those folks and got an out the door price.  Called back the next day and said we would purchase it and would be down in 3 hours to pick it up.  When we arrived had to hunt up a sales person, they had not touched the vehicle, turned out it had a dead battery so they swapped batteries and brought it around for MIL to see.  Wife immediately found a deep scratch on the door (this is a new vehicle), we drove it and looked at it, MIL bought it after they said they would fix scratch and deliver to her.  It arrived and I looked at the door and all was well, brother-in-law was sitting in it and checking it so I didn't.  4 days later he was driving her somewhere and notice the traction control light was on and a warning.  I checked and yes there was a fault in the traction control system so it was off.  I pulled the codes with the ForScan.  Took it to the local dealer the next day - Thursday before Memorial day so they couldn't look at it.  A tech came out and glanced at it.  ade an appointment for the next Thursday.  The service advisor said in a very oh by the way manner, the traction control is off but its safe to drive and the ABS doesn't work either!!!  Called Lincoln national and got a very nice lady, explained our predicament and asked about returning for another.  She authorized a rental car and checked on swapping.  Showed up at the appointment and leave it, rode the shuttle home.  Shuttle driver gave us the name of the service manager in case we had problems.  By the time we got to MIL house the Service advisor was already wanting to put it off until Monday!  MIL call the number and he lit a fire under some!!!  It was fixed later that but they kept it overnight to check.  And oh they had to do so much work, reset the system and charge the battery, kept it overnight to verify problem didn't reoccur. I am very suspicious that the dealer we bought it from did not properly reset the systems after replacing or charging the battery.  As for the dealer, found out from a friend that the closer Ford dealer is much better than the Lincoln dealer.  Can take a Lincoln to any Ford dealer for warranty and service work.  i never cease to be amazed at how inept service folks can be.  I think part of the problem is the pay, good folks can make more money doing something else.  I love cars and motorcycles and it would have been fun to work with or on them but I could make more money as an engineer working on other stuff.  

@Rileuy - Sorry to hear about your woes. Understandable why you're upset.

I wouldn't give up on the TC so quickly. You obviously selected this van for reasons that are still valid.

You're just going to need to fight a little bit to get things sorted out. It shouldn't have to be that way but sometimes things don't always go as planned.

The seat strap issues seems minor to me. Same for the audio problem. Those aren't show stoppers.

Keep in mind the 2019 has some new features that Ford mechanics might not be up on how to service them. Your van might be the first time they experience a few of those problems.

The smoke coming out the tailpipe sounds like more of a serious issue to me and needs to be diagnosed ASAP. If it's constantly doing that, then that would be cause for concern on a new engine. If you're not getting adequate responses from certain low level people at the dealership then you need to go up the ladder to get some traction. Don't be afraid to seek out the general manager of the dealership and raise a little rockus if you think you're not getting the service you deserve.

Best of luck - please keep us posted on what happens.

In case you decide to call Ford, let us know how that works out.  I've always been able to get warranty issues resolved at the dealership level.  But I also know that you can go above the dealership level.  Just never needed to.

Ford United States

+1-800-392-3673 

Monday-Friday, 8:00AM-11:00PM EST

Saturday, 8:00AM-8:00PM EST

The car is back from the dealer. Audio and seat are fixed. The strap was never routed correctly. The audio needed a new part.    No idea on the smoke as I need to have some one drive around behind me (or borrow a go-pro and video it).  The Service folks have assured me that all sorts of stuff has been known to blow out the back of new cars during the break-in period... "who knows what protective coating is on the components."   

The service manager and sales team apologized. The GM for the dealership gave me his extension (note that not even the sales people here have their own extensions.. it's a "low budget" operation).   I did read up on the lemon laws and understand the 30 days, 4 attempts to fix, etc..,  The dealer's response is that the law is in place to protect them from people who change their mind (the new car obviously depreciated the second I drove it off the lot, so they aren't interested in taking it back). TC's in good used condition are a bit tough to find around.   I figured having a new car would protect me from used car hassles.  

I have asked for the dealership to reach out to Ford to provide an extended warranty if they truly stand behind this car.     I don' t have high hopes, but maybe Ford will do the right thing.   Sure would be nice.  

Looks like they did come thru for you which is very good, my MIL did get an enhanced warranty from Lincoln.  I don't remember exactly what it covers but it is the extra cost option that covers more stuff longer.  She is 91 and doesn't drive many miles so she will not run over the mileage limit.