Ford Transit Connect Forum

Exhaust Diameter Question

Hey Gang,

I've searched here, other forums, facebook groups, parts sites, pretty much everywhere but my own vehicle. 

I've got the 2.5 Duratec in my '16 LWB cargo, and trying to figure out the diameter of the exhaust pipe. My gut leads me to 2.25". 

Any help from you all would be great. 

IMG_5877.JPG.c5ffbf1cb2a7a66105488f23584525e5.JPG

RallyVan for your time.

Yep, Fifty150 is correct:

20190720_170011.thumb.jpg.087229003173591dace2b4c0bdd7c782.jpg

Are you trying to find an aftermarket muffler? The stock muffler is a goofy same side in-out design:

20190720_170059.thumb.jpg.53d2b736ccc344939b494474f88e28e3.jpg

You might be able to find something like a straight-thru style muffler and have a few small bends. Here is a shot from the tailpipe back to the muffler. You can see how close the pipes are:

20190720_170128.thumb.jpg.6ab7f336b04275f460bbd75c539841d1.jpg

I'm looking at that diagram.  Part 6 & 8 could be deleted.  Replace it with a straight pipe.  No muffler.  A turn down tip, just like the OEM design, would direct the noise at the ground, so that you bother people with a lot of noise.  If you did not have the spare tire, you could install a glass pack to make the exhaust note sound nice.  

Thanks for all the help! I took an angle grinder to the section circled below. So I already got rid of that gigantic muffler. The sound is ok, but it sounds more accidental than intentional. Meaning it sounds like the muffler's gone bad. I was going to remove the giant resonator (1) and see how it sounds. If I don't like it, I've researched aftermarket mufflers that make 4 cylinders sound decent. I know not all 4 bangers are the same, so I made sure to listen to a few different kinds to get an idea what might come out. I narrowed it down to a Borla Pro XS. I heard samples of this installed on a corolla, Mazda 3, cavalier, and a subaru. All sounding pretty good in their own ways. The Mazda was a 2.3L 4cyl which I am confident is from the same engine family as the 2.5 duratec my van has. So I am optimistic on the outcome. I'll replace the resonator with straight piping, and attach the Borla to the end with a turndown. Now I just need the weather to drop back into the double digits before I start working outside.

1306941650_TCexhaust.JPG.d6ecb296a8e4a85fad7b85764d31149e.thumb.jpg.7bfed95a4f0c50203d387b6cd1a326c0.jpg

This is something I have thought about as well. The stock exhaust is nearly silent. Some sound would be OK. I wonder how much the tone would change if you cut out the resonator (#1 on the diagram) and replaced with straight pipe? I'm looking for just a little bit of growl. Aftermarket mufflers are pretty much nonexistent in the stock configuration. 

On an unrelated note, after I bought my TC, I was curious if it was allowed to rallycross. That's when I found your post on Oppo. That looked like a ton of fun, even if it wasn't competitive. Did you have any problems bottoming out? I was looking for a skidplate (under engine cover?) and discovered that the 12-14 Focus uses the same plastic cover. There are quite a few aftermarket companies that make aluminum skid plates for the Focus ST. From my research, those should fit the TC. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but its on the list (along with about a million other things).

Get it custom made.  Go to a metal shop.  Give them the piece off the bottom of your van.  Today, they could use AutoCAD to produce a piece in exact dimensions.  I don'[t know if it will be worth the cost.  But you'll have what you want.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:41 PM, stanger_missle said:

Are you trying to find an aftermarket muffler? The stock muffler is a goofy same side in-out design:

20190720_170059.thumb.jpg.53d2b736ccc344939b494474f88e28e3.jpg

The tailpipe is 2.25", but that inlet pipe looks more like 1.75" or so. A reducer/enlarger may be needed to make changes work right. 

16 hours ago, stanger_missle said:

Did you have any problems bottoming out? I was looking for a skidplate (under engine cover?) and discovered that the 12-14 Focus uses the same plastic cover.

No issues bottoming out. Most Rallycross courses are designed to avoid bumps, jumps, and other potentially dangerous features. A skid plate will never hurt, I've been talking to a guy who specializes in focus skid plates, and he agrees the similarity between the TC and the focus is almost identical. I loved racing the TC, and everyone got a kick out of it thinking it was a tow vehicle for another car.

As for the exhaust, I am waiting for it to stop raining so I can get underneath and take off the pipe from the catalytic converter back and see how it sounds. If it's too much, I'll pick up the Borla Pro XS I mentioned earlier and put that on. 

12 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Get it custom made.  Go to a metal shop.  Give them the piece off the bottom of your van.  Today, they could use AutoCAD to produce a piece in exact dimensions.  I don'[t know if it will be worth the cost.  But you'll have what you want.

I don't see the cost benefits of a custom job for this vehicle. For starters, the only major bends or turns in the pipe is towards the rear near the  left rear tire. other than that, it's a straight direction from the catalytic converter on. For something I can assemble with a few parts and a mig welder for $100, the shop would want no less than $300. ($300 is what they wanted for the wife's Chrysler 200 exhaust work: axleback muffler and piping)

You can buy pipes, elbows, and bends from Summit Racing.  Then either use clamp on couplings or weld.  Custom exhaust can be DIY.  

That is a really big muffler, which also appears to restrict the exhaust flow.  Deleting the muffler will just sound bad.   Maybe replacing the resonator with a glasspack unit may sound okay.  I just don't think there's much to gain, performance wise, from exhaust work on this car.  

But it would still be fun to try something out.  

How about removing everything from the catalytic converter back?  2 bolts will disconnect the flange in front of the resonator.  Then you could use a glass pack, and turn down.  Maybe even use a Y-Pipe,  route the exhaust out the sides, in front of the rear wheel.

wlk-41726_ml.jpgCherryBomb_GlassPack_web.pngRelated image

From the best of my recollection, MagnaFlow is a responsive company.  Try contacting them.  Maybe send that OEM exhaust diagram, and see if they have any recommendations.

Got bored and cut the entire exhaust from after the catalytic converter on. The two bolts you see in the video wouldn’t cooperate. Sound is raw, but adds a lot of vibration in the cabin. I kept the exhaust, and plan on replacing the resonator with straight piping, and adding a Borla Pro XS muffler on the end of it. For the next few days, though, I’ll deal with the noise and vibration. It’s a Rallyvan anyways right?!

2 hours ago, Double Nickels said:

Only concern is cabin noise without a resonator.  You could always turn the radio up.

It being a cargo van, there's little to no insulation. Gonna need to add some dynamat or cheaper alternative to help that. Also, I'll still route it out the back of the van, so that will help with noise. Right now its directly underneath me and you can hear AND feel it.