Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fuel Mileage

WillMartin

Got home from the long road trip last Thursday and tallied up my fuel and miles info.

Total miles: 6879

Total fuel: 285 gallons

Overall fuel economy: 24.14 MPG

Best tank: 27 MPG

Worst tank: 21.5 MPG

Avg price of fuel: $2.55/gal

Lowest price of fuel: $2.159 (outside Tulsa OK)

Highest price of fuel: $3.199 (Van Horn TX)

Calculations were on actual usage - miles on trip ODO / gallons of fuel put in tank

Overall performance of the van was excellent.

Was able to carry a lot of stuff in good comfort with ZERO issues.

Both the trip headed east and heading back west were very high temperatures ranging from 93 to 102 degrees.

Next time I take a long trip like this in the van I'll likely remove my roof rack cross bars to see if they have much impact on fuel economy.

Joe

PS: Best decision ever: adding factory cruise control (steering wheel with CC buttons + Forscan)

Edited by donuts

As they say, everything impacts overall performance and fuel consumption.  It's usually a combination of factors.  Any 1 thing will have very little effect.  And it would probably be negated by other factors.  If I get a phone call, and pull over to conference, that idle time impacts my tank mileage.  15 minutes idling on the side of the road, could burn more fuel than you save by removing those bars.

Glad you had a good trip, and returned home safe.  Your fuel mileage appears to be within the EPA estimate on the new car sticker, and is within an acceptable range.  I'm jealous that I can't get that kind of mileage.  But I already know why my mileage is poor.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Geez your Petrol / Gas powered Transit Connect do terrible Gas Mileage,  My Euro 6 diesel model gets more than double what your getting,

Over here mine is called the Ford Grand Tourneo Connect, Titainium which is the long wheelbase model It only has a 1.5L  4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel that puts out 120hp but it also has 199.14 ftlb of Torque or 270nm which is bit more then the US  Gas version puts out,

It has a 60L Tank which is 15 US Gallons or 13.17 Imp gallons, which is 4.55 litres, I normally get between 54 to 67mpg, @ 67mpg that is equal to 58.9mpg in US Gallons But at 54mph (Imp) it is equal to 47.47mpg US Gallons,  the average mpg varies between 54 to 62/63 on the highway but in the book it claims 64.2mpg and in the latest version the hand book says up to 74mpg

It seems quite boring at 50 to 60mph but when you plant your foot at around 60mph 80mph comes up pretty fast for a Diesel, Driven carefully 840 miles per tank is possible.

If you scroll down in the PDF down to the specs mine is the 2nd one from the bottom of the list which is the 7 seat 6 Speed Manual version.

FORD GRAND Tourneo Connect brochure AND SPECS.pdf

Edited by Vanpire

21 hours ago, Vanpire said:

My Euro 6 diesel model gets more than double what your getting,

Nice but we do not have a choice here so we can"t even be angry.   If you want the TC here that's what it is.

Edited by G B L

4 minutes ago, G B L said:

Nice but we do not have a choice here so we can"t even be angry.   If you want the TC here that what it is.

Yeah it seems crazy when you think about it because you have some of the longest roads in the world which is the perfect place for such a vehicle,  The Co2 levels for this engine is Government rated at 119gkm or 0.001g/km or 0.001g/per Kwh.

All that aside I think regardless of what type of engine they have they all are great to drive on a long run, I have set mine up so I can pull over when I'm tired I have a place to rest up.  ?

15 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

A lot of politics behind the configuration of cars in The USA.  

Yeah it's crazy, With the high fuel prices over here without these types of diesel vehicle people would not be able to afford to go any where, the worst I have got from it so far os around 50mpg (Imp) or 43.95mpg US Gallons.

I would love to do a Coast to Coast run with it in the US, I think it would be a real eye opener.

Environmental groups and energy companies spend a fortune to influence laws governing automobile performance and emissions.  It's a "no win" for the consumer. Cars using gasoline got better mileage before the current emissions standard.  I'm not an expert.  Is it better to use less fuel? Or use more fuel with with less tailpipe pollution?  And then there was the fuel additive which was supposed to burn cleaner, but actually became a pollutant.  More oil is consumed and sold. Increased demand for fuel benefits oil companies. Politicians are wealthier. Is the environment better off?  

12 minutes ago, Double Nickels said:

Environmental groups and energy companies spend a fortune to influence laws governing automobile performance and emissions.  It's a "no win" for the consumer. Cars using gasoline got better mileage before the current emissions standard.  I'm not an expert.  Is it better to use less fuel? Or use more fuel with with less tailpipe pollution?  And then there was the fuel additive which was supposed to burn cleaner, but actually became a pollutant.  More oil is consumed and sold. Increased demand for fuel benefits oil companies. Politicians are wealthier. Is the environment better off?  

Well mine runs on the Smell of an Oily Rag ecconomy wise and the polution levels are extremely Low, To get them any lower I would need a Hybrid setup, I can get there just as fast as the next guy without putting my Wallet in Rehab,  On the Highway 64.2mpg is no stranger,  It seems stupid not to allow a 1.5L TDI on the road yet a 7.3 powerstoke gets the Go Ahead,  Don't get me wrong I love V8's and I would have one in a heartbeat,

I think your right about the energy companies having a hand in this,  My 1.5L TDI puts out as much HP as a 1980's V8 yet I get 4X the MPG+,

The whole system is Nut's.

16 hours ago, Vanpire said:

The whole system is Nut's.

Not to the politicians.  They benefit from the political lobbying.  They get the junkets, meals, and other alleged unreported and not proveable paper sacks of unmarked bills in small denominations.

• 1 year later...

After 20k miles, I find I get from 25 to 30+ mpg. How the van is driven makes a huge difference, as does what’s up top, and season.

I’m driving a ‘21, LWB cargo Connect. I’ve verified the stats displayed by the onboard system and feel they are accurate.

At speeds beyond 70mph, mileage plummets. Winter mileage is worse than summer mileage, which is not unique to the TC. A boat on the roof costs me 2 - 4mpg. 

Last December I took a 1900-mile drive, sticking to 70mph, no boat or rack, and averaged 30.4. A month later, made a very similar drive with my wife, who has a lead foot and poor depth perception, so she is usually on the gas or on the brakes, and we got 26.5. Also, it was a lot colder, which I think made a difference.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

11 minutes ago, Chip said:

After 20k miles, I find I get from 25 to 30+ mpg. How the van is driven makes a huge difference, as does what’s up top, and season.

I’m driving a ‘21, LWB cargo Connect. I’ve verified the stats displayed by the onboard system and feel they are accurate.

At speeds beyond 70mph, mileage plummets. Winter mileage is worse than summer mileage, which is not unique to the TC. A boat on the roof costs me 2 - 4mpg. 

Last December I took a 1900-mile drive, sticking to 70mph, no boat or rack, and averaged 30.4. A month later, made a very similar drive with my wife, who has a lead foot and poor depth perception, so she is usually on the gas or on the brakes, and we got 26.5. Also, it was a lot colder, which I think made a difference.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

At 70mph mine still does about 56mpg to 63.997mpg per Imperial gallon which is equal to 46.769mpg to 53.448mpg per US Gallons, This past month I still averaged 51.625mpg with just City driving, And at 60+ mph it gets to 85+ really fast,

Edited by Vanpire

Funny! I had to reread the thread—thought TDI must have been some model of VW Sedan and couldn’t figure out why Vanpire was posting about it here. Now I got it and it’s impressive, I want one!

Just now, Chip said:

Funny! I had to reread the thread—thought TDI must have been some model of VW Sedan and couldn’t figure out why Vanpire was posting about it here. Now I got it and it’s impressive, I want one!

LOL, It does get confussing,

My Ford has the 1.5L Duratorq TDCI Engine is the correct name.   

57 minutes ago, G B L said:

As impressive as it is I am not holding my breath.  Ford does not really want to sell the TC .  After 2023 the whole van will be a VW and my level of interest in it will be much reduced!

Well even though they are not making Diesel vehicles after 2030 over here I won't be selling mine because at my pressent rate of annual mileage It should only have around 45500 miles on the clock which is barely even Run In for a Diesel.

Mine was first registered in December 2017 and Sold by the Dealers in early 2018, After that they bought out the model with the Grill Change in mid 2018 So mine is one of the last of these models,

Our Campers 1 BU.jpg

Edited by Vanpire

37 minutes ago, G B L said:

Nice If you are putting that few miles on then the fuel mileage would not even be a concern.

Finding a safe place to park would be higher on the list.

Yeah I like it, most of my trips are 300 to 1200 miles when I go off,

My Driveway has a 4ft barrier and then I have to do an 8 point turn to get it where I park it and then It is parked up with CCTV cameras within 6 feet of it,

What you can't see is the Camper conversion I bought where I even have shore power hookup and a slide out Kitchen and well as a Lithium power system for lighting which is not connected to the vehicles electronics and it has a double Bed and a Dinning Table and I have a choice of 4 4x4 fridge freezers varying in size so I can use the one that suits the length of the trip, The Curtains are 1/4" thick felt with reflectic Bubble wrap between the windows and the curtains and I have a double layer under the sunroof to keep out the heat and the cold, I also have multiple SoGens and folding Solar Panels, and there is at leased a months worth of food in there,

I also have a Tailgate awning that adds another room thats about 2 meters square for a Day room or another sleeping area and with all that I can still seat 5 adults, It is way more than it looks.

Edited by Vanpire

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 4:51 AM, Phil0110 said:

Of course tires and inflation make a difference, I wish I understand it earlier. 

I always set my pressure when its cool outside to 36psi front and 39 rear and I always keep a either the ARB Twin Portable Compressor on board which is overkill for these size Tyres because it will fill them from Zero ( dead flat ) to 40 psi in about 23 - 25 seconds,  But to keep the weight down I also have the ARB Portable High Power Single Compressor with all the matching calibrated Gauges etc Although the Twin compressor is massively impressive the single version ain't no slouch and It's just nicer to lug around and it too will inflate the Tyres from 0 to 40psi in 53 seconds which is more than fast enough,

Edited by Vanpire

On 9/13/2022 at 11:27 AM, Vanpire said:

I always set my pressure when its cool outside to 36psi front and 39 rear and I always keep a eithe the ARB Twin Portable Compressor on board which is overkill for these size Tyres because it will fill them from Zero ( dead flat ) to 40 psi in about 23 - 25 seconds,  But to keep the weight down I also have the ARB Portable High Power Single Compressor with all the matching calibrated Gauges etc Although the Twin compressor is massively impressive the single version ain't no slouch and It's just nicer to lug around and it too will inflate the Tyres from 0 tp 14 in 53 seconds which is more than fast enough,

Thanks for sharing!