Ford Transit Connect Forum

Engine temperature sensor 2010 2.0L

My van's check engine light came on and at the same time the engine temp read cold after being on the highway 15 minutes. 

Parts store said it was a temperature sensor error, which stands to reason given the evidence. So, I bought a new one.

Now my questions are where does it go? And is there a separate engine head temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor or are they the same? 

It looks like the one I have goes in the head between the two middle spark plugs, is that correct? 

Edited by ArtCFartC

So far, we're good. Changing the sensor is actually super easy if you can find a 19mm or 3/4 socket long enough, you don't have to remove the valve cover. I watched this video to start the process of removing the valve cover then realized that it wasn't needed. Had to ride my bike to the pawn shop to get a long enough socket, but I didn't have to remove the valve cover.

*Including this video only to show sensor seal removal.

• 1 year later...

Update:  Most of you likely know this, but ONLY USE FORD SENSORS!!!  The O'Reilly's sensor failed after a little over a year.  Instead of failing like the original where it didn't send any info, it failed by sending the wrong info.  I looked down and suddenly my van was overheating.  Luckily I had a laser thermometer with me that told me it was lying.