Ford Transit Connect Forum

Debating between a 2014+ Transit Connect and Promaster City..

KevinRollin

Hello!  

New here, researching vans before I make a purchase.  Lots of great information here!  

Planning on a weekender/road tripper/camper small van and the leading contenders are the Transit Connect and Ram Promaster City.  

Anyone pick the Transit Connect over the PMC after driving both?  Any particular dealbreakers?  

Thanks!  

Kevin

You should be able to negotiate better pricing with Dodge or Chevrolet.  Chevrolet and Nissan also sell small vans. Overall, Ford Transit Connect beats those vans for driveability, build quality, engineering.  Mercedes is the best.  Just way more expensive.  

For function, reliability, durability......I would not buy the Dodge.  Dodge small vehicles are not reliable.  I would recommend a Ram truck with diesel.  Jeep Wrangler is a great off-road vehicle.  But most small Chrysler products are not very good.  I suppose if ProMaster was a good van, you would see them everywhere.  But you don't.  Not do you see Chevrolet.  You see Ford, Mercedes, and Nissan.  Check out what Dodge van owners have to say.  Walk through the service bay, ask Dodge techs what they think.  That's how I decided not to buy an Explorer.  Dozens of police cars with the transmission out.  

Thanks everyone for the advice.   

I’m looking at used more than new, and the prices for Ford compact cargo vans are comparable to the Dodge/Ram PMCs, I imagine because there are more of the former on the road.  I think the sales statistics I saw were 35k Transit Connects sold, versus 15k each for PMC and NV200. 

Buying used, you will be able to negotiate a much lower price.  With a good mechanic inspecting the vehicle, your used car inspection should be an eye opener.  This is where some of the wear items will be prominent.  Your budget will determine what you end up with.  

At this point, I would consider the 1st generation for lower pricing.  But the 2nd generation may be better mechanically.  And in the used car world, 1st generations will have more mileage, wear, and tear.

With the 2nd generation, 2014 - present, it does not appear as if owners have had wheel bearing issues.  The transmissions have been a concern in regards to longevity.  I'm not so impressed by the cooling line only going to a small oil-to-water heat exchanger on top of the transmission case, but thus far, it has been effective in regulating temperature.  Some of the forum members have adapted to a more frequent automatic transmission service interval as a solution.  Engines have been okay to date.  No overheating from failed water pumps, thermostats stuck closed, radiators blowing up, hoses bursting.  Tune-up parts (spark plugs & coil over plug) appear to be holding up to over 60,000 miles.  Of course with ignition parts, some people willfully replace the items as part of their 60,000 or 75,000 mile tune-up; and others just wait until they have misfires, the plugs are seriously fouled, and they have no choice.  No brake or suspension failures being reported.  There are aftermarket brake parts which should stop better.  

Have had mine about a year and a half.  Started looking for used, hoping to get a 6 passenger wagon with 15 to 20 thousand miles.  Reason for buying was to haul my scooter to the racetrack, haul stuff, haul grandkids, haul 90 year old inlaws pull a small trailer and occasionally camp in.  So far have done everything but camp in it - have taken two motorcycle camping trips instead.  I was looking for a 6 passenger configuration LWB and hoped to get roof racks and a towing package.  In the fall of 2017 they were hard to find in my area - new or used.  Wound up driving 300 miles and bought a new 2016 in the fall of 2017.  The difference in price was not that much more than one a new one particularly if factoring in the value of warranty and wear and tear on the vehicle and tires.  

I'm no expert but seems like in this market, a lightly used vehicle is more expensive than a new one if the new models are discounted.

I looked a small amount at the Nissan and Chevy but didn't really consider as they are more competitors to the work van.  There is really not a direct competitor to the LWB wagon version.  

I've owned both, replaced 15 PMC with 14 FTC titanium and haven't looked back.

PMC-

Pros-huge cargo area, side open rear doors, tigershark engine had awesome acceleration up grades, one of the best fwd cars I've driven in snow, car is set up for easy maintenance (ports for headlights, a/c compressor and belt drive accessible).

Cons- no 3rd row, 2nd row windows don't roll down, 9 speed transmission is in class action lawsuit last I checked, loud road noise, 2nd row a/c was terrible, replaced front and rear shocks, brakes, rotors, windshield washer motor, both headlights at 38k miles, poor turn radius.

We ran away from this PMC, but it has more functional build space than the FTC. 

On 7/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, Fifty150 said:

Buying used, you will be able to negotiate a much lower price.  With a good mechanic inspecting the vehicle, your used car inspection should be an eye opener.  This is where some of the wear items will be prominent.  Your budget will determine what you end up with.  

At this point, I would consider the 1st generation for lower pricing.  But the 2nd generation may be better mechanically.  And in the used car world, 1st generations will have more mileage, wear, and tear.

With the 2nd generation, 2014 - present, it does not appear as if owners have had wheel bearing issues.  The transmissions have been a concern in regards to longevity.  I'm not so impressed by the cooling line only going to a small oil-to-water heat exchanger on top of the transmission case, but thus far, it has been effective in regulating temperature.  Some of the forum members have adapted to a more frequent automatic transmission service interval as a solution.  Engines have been okay to date.  No overheating from failed water pumps, thermostats stuck closed, radiators blowing up, hoses bursting.  Tune-up parts (spark plugs & coil over plug) appear to be holding up to over 60,000 miles.  Of course with ignition parts, some people willfully replace the items as part of their 60,000 or 75,000 mile tune-up; and others just wait until they have misfires, the plugs are seriously fouled, and they have no choice.  No brake or suspension failures being reported.  There are aftermarket brake parts which should stop better.  

Thanks, 5150. You’re not that crazy.  ?  Good info on the 2014 reliability and issues to date.  

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Have had mine about a year and a half.  Started looking for used, hoping to get a 6 passenger wagon with 15 to 20 thousand miles.  Reason for buying was to haul my scooter to the racetrack, haul stuff, haul grandkids, haul 90 year old inlaws pull a small trailer and occasionally camp in.  So far have done everything but camp in it - have taken two motorcycle camping trips instead.  I was looking for a 6 passenger configuration LWB and hoped to get roof racks and a towing package.  In the fall of 2017 they were hard to find in my area - new or used.  Wound up driving 300 miles and bought a new 2016 in the fall of 2017.  The difference in price was not that much more than one a new one particularly if factoring in the value of warranty and wear and tear on the vehicle and tires.  

I'm no expert but seems like in this market, a lightly used vehicle is more expensive than a new one if the new models are discounted.

I looked a small amount at the Nissan and Chevy but didn't really consider as they are more competitors to the work van.  There is really not a direct competitor to the LWB wagon version.  

I’m running into the same thing with 3-4 year old used, versus new.  

1 hour ago, tmhamm09 said:

PMC-

Pros-huge cargo area, side open rear doors, tigershark engine had awesome acceleration up grades, one of the best fwd cars I've driven in snow, car is set up for easy maintenance (ports for headlights, a/c compressor and belt drive accessible).

Cons- no 3rd row, 2nd row windows don't roll down, 9 speed transmission is in class action lawsuit last I checked, loud road noise, 2nd row a/c was terrible, replaced front and rear shocks, brakes, rotors, windshield washer motor, both headlights at 38k miles, poor turn radius.

Great insight, thanks.  I’m looking almost exclusively at cargo variants of both platforms.  I’d take a wagon if I got a great deal on one, but nearly all of the passenger equipment would come out.  I can count on one hand how many times I’ve carried more than one passenger in the last three years.  That front passenger seat would stay flat most of the time!  

On 7/8/2019 at 7:32 PM, tmhamm09 said:

PMC-

Interesting to hear.  I was considering a PMC when I bought my first gen TC.  The cargo area was the draw for a PMC.  I was concerned about the TC's transmission, but it sounds like the PMC transmission is even weaker.  A lousy turn radius would be a problem, too.  It sounds like a PMC wears out in a hurry, too.