Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello from Oakland!

ryancallowayart

Hey folks, looking forward to joining the community. I recently bought a no frills 2012 FTC (96k mi), and am looking for ideas and suggestions as far as how to make it more functional, comfortable, and just overall badass ?

It's primary uses:

Hauling gear: I'm a working musician so I'll be hauling some light gear in it pretty regularly (small piano, drum kit, PA, other various instruments, etc).

Hauling materials: I'll need it for picking up lumber for woodworking projects; things like, a handful of 4'x8' plywood sheets (at most), various sizes/lengths of boards, and materials for a variety of projects and possibly home repair stuff.

Travel: I would like to have the option to take road trips and sleep in it comfortably, but don't want to turn the entire cargo space into a tiny home...it's tempting, but not as functional for me.

Misc:

• I'm often parking in areas where theft is an issue, so I'd like to keep a low profile (ahem, yes, I know it's bright red...).
  • At some point I might replace the back doors with ones that have windows, or just instal windows. I also might instal windows on the sliding doors.
  • I currently live in Oakland, CA where the weather is (usually) moderate, but will be spending some time in parts of the country with actual winters, so I'm worried about the fact that it's currently just a metal box with an engine + wheels.

Looking for suggestions on:*

• Back up camera
  • Stereo - I really would like something with bluetooth (like, good functioning, where the connecting process doesn't suck), or at very least, AUX, to play music through my phone.
  • Front floor coverage - Thinking I'll buy some carpet to lay down in the front, under the driver/passenger seats. You'll see currently there is none. Do these come pre-cut, or should I just get remnants and cut them to size? Or, is there a floor mat that would suffice? I'd like to have complete coverage up there for warmth.
  • Cargo floor coverage - thinking insulation + plywood floor cut to form fit to the cargo space. Goals here would be to insulate for warmth when using it to sleep in, but also have a sturdy floor (not carpet) that can be wiped/swept, when loading/unloading materials and gear.
  • ...what am I not thinking of?!

*Feel free to drop ideas, names or links to products; no such thing as a bad idea!

Some of these could be their own threads, I'm sure the floor alone could be done in many different ways. Thanks in advance for any guidance and time/thought put in here. I'll gladly be sharing progress and contribute once I start to get my hands dirty ?

Ryan

00C0C_hssTvpuFRbG_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_35Mt96icNgu_600x450.jpg

00N0N_iFGkhUnlSLb_1200x900.jpg

IMG_2256.jpeg

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

11 hours ago, ryancallowayart said:

Hauling materials: I'll need it for picking up lumber for woodworking projects; things like, a handful of 4'x8' plywood sheets (at most), various sizes/lengths of boards, and materials for a variety of projects and possibly home repair stuff.

4X8 plywood will be a challenge.  Lengths of lumber will be a challenge.  The van's interior isn't really that big.

• Back up camera

Just about any low cost camera on Amazon or eBay will work.  All of them require you to tap into the reverse lamp wires for power & ground, and they should come with a wire run for you to bring the signal to the front.  If you replace your stereo for something with a screen, those units will usually have the correct RCA & power connection to your camera.

• Stereo - I really would like something with bluetooth (like, good functioning, where the connecting process doesn't suck), or at very least, AUX, to play music through my phone.

Crutchfield dot com.  You will get everything you need for your installation in 1 place.  You can pick up the wiring harness connector which is specific to your vehicle, and antenna adapter if needed, and a dash trim kit if applicable.  Maybe not the cheapest.  But it's a good place to start, to figure out everything that you will need.  Look for something with a screen so that you can wire in the backup camera, BlueTooth for your phone, SD card and/or USB for your music & media, and maybe even GPS navigation.  

• Front floor coverage - Thinking I'll buy some carpet to lay down in the front, under the driver/passenger seats. You'll see currently there is none. Do these come pre-cut, or should I just get remnants and cut them to size? Or, is there a floor mat that would suffice? I'd like to have complete coverage up there for warmth.

Carpet scraps are a good way to go.  I did that for years with my Jeeps & trucks.  Even door mats from a dollar store or thrift shop.  You get them dirty, muddy, spill food & beverage.....throw it out and get new ones.  See if you can get leftover pieces from a flooring store.  Then you can cut to fit.  Unless you spend a lot of money for rubber mats like WeatherTech.

• Cargo floor coverage - thinking insulation + plywood floor cut to form fit to the cargo space. Goals here would be to insulate for warmth when using it to sleep in, but also have a sturdy floor (not carpet) that can be wiped/swept, when loading/unloading materials and gear.

My 1st concern with the bare floor, since you bought the van used, is how much of the paint has already been scratched & worn off, leaving exposed metal to eventually suffer corrosion. Most cargo vans, after years of use, will have damaged paint, exposed metal, corrosion, and rust.   You have several options.  The cheapest & easiest is a couple of spray cans of primer.  It could look good if you do a good job.  The key is to spend the time and do a good job.  Wash it out real well.  Prep surface correctly.  Et cetera.  Truck bed liner would be great for your application.  People with Jeeps love using truck bed liner on the inside of their Jeeps.  There are a lot of reviews and articles online about choosing different materials and brands, and how to do it yourself.  Or you can pay a professional $XXX.  The leading brands are Line-X & Rhino Linings.  My pickup truck bed was applied at a Line-X franchise in San Leandro, around the corner from The Ford Store.  12 years later, with lots of use & abuse, It's still like new.  

A piece of plywood cut to size.  Liquid Nails will work great for carpet scraps.  Even better if the carpet scraps are all mismatched, to give you some "artistic cred".  Home improvement centers sell a product known as "carpet tile"; which is exactly as it sounds.  Little squares of carpet.  Get different colors and designs, and checkerboard them.  You can load your equipment and the carpeting will provide some padding.  You have tie down anchors.  Use those with ratchet straps for your larger, heavier items like amps.  This carpeted plywood will also be a great base for a futon pad & sleeping bag.  Since you have an Ikea in Emeryville, you can probably pickup inexpensive bedding and some sort of cushioned mattress pad.  

You can go all out with a crazy build.  Being an artist, you can let you mind wander, dream, and create.  Plenty of roof vents and fans for that model year.  You could also look into a roof rack.  OEM windows or aftermarket window can be installed.  LED strip lights like the inside of a limousine.  

My opinion is that it's a 2012, and you don't know what you have mechanically yet.  Your first consideration is maintenance and wear items.  You don't want to build out a mobile glory hole, or whatever, and then it doesn't run.  Do more than you think you need to do.  Flush out the cooling system, install new belts & hose, and replace the water pump & thermostat.  Exchange the transmission fluid and motor oil.  Run some Techron through the fuel system.  Replace all the filters.  Spark plugs & coils should be on your list.  Plan on new brakes, bleed the lines, replace the old brake fluid.  Maybe upgrade with better rotors & pads.  There were issues with the wheel bearings on that generation.  There may be other known issues that you can address.  Try your best to begin your ownership with as many new parts as possible, so that you will be secure in knowing what works.  Do everything possible mechanically, before you invest in other projects.  No point getting the van exactly the way you want it, and then it stops running.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Fifty150

This is really helpful, thank you so much. Also, “mobile glory hole”, thanks for that too, what a great idea. As if having a van that I sometimes sleep in doesn’t make me weird enough ? 

I hear what you’re saying about the plywood, I guess I was envisioning strapping it to a roof rack and loading the cargo with smaller pieces. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hadn’t thought about priming the floor, but that seems like a really smart thing to do. It hasn’t shown any signs of rust, and I’d like to keep it that way.

Super excited to pick it up in a couple of weeks and get cracking on things. Mechanical updates are certainly on the list, however, my list was quite a bit less thorough than yours so it’s good to get your perspective and I’ll probably end up doing more than I was originally planning on based on your advice.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. I’ll post updates as I make them and will probably have some more questions ?

Welcome

For sleeping I'd recommend a three section foam mattress that can be folded up into sort of a sofa when not a bed.  Ive looked into several on Amazon.  I was going to recommend a roof rack for 4x8 plywood.  I have a very small trailer that was originally intended to haul my motorcycle but has actually been used for hauling lumber.  Its an old Holtzclaw dirt bike trailer that I made a 42"x6' wood deck for.