Ford Transit Connect Forum

Series one tail lights

OK ... this one's got me baffled. Keeps up, I may just have to read the book!

(oh no ... say it ain't so!) <G>

Lower rear red lenses on a 2011 XLT - are they supposed to do anything? Can't say I ever noticed them on. Just had to replace a brake light bulb, and did some digging. Both sides are socketed, both are two wire, both have good bulbs, and no power on test no matter the light switch positions. Dual wire socket would indicate either an extra brake light, or an extra running light, but not both?

Hep me!

** I'm wondering if it's a multi-national thing where some locations allow yellow lenses and some not? Simple wire switch and they're covered. Or not.

Edited by sKiZo

It's easy to check. The Gen1 light switch can be pulled out by 3 mm and the light comes on. Also there's a notification light on the dash (the fog light with a horizontal beam like the bottom button on the Gen2 switch).

IOU One Cigar !!

rear-fogs.jpg

Only thing I'd add ... the switch will only pull out in the far right (headlights) position. You'd have to do this every time you want the extra lights on. Should be easier to just snip the wires to those from the harness and bridge in from the existing running (or brake!) light sockets.

Wish they would have put the euro FRONT fog lamps in on mine as well ...

Long as on the subject of front fogs ... I hear rumors that the harness already has a pigtail for those if I were to decide to add them?

On the 2nd generation, the XL model has no harness.  The bumper cover is also different.  Anyone without factory fog lamps can order the bumper cover with the holes cut out, and order the additional pieces for mounting the fog lamps.  You can then install OEM halogen style or aftermarket LED fog lamps.  But you will still need to wire it up yourself to some sort of switch.  Unless someone knows how to wire it into the Body Control Module and reprogram the Body Control Module.  

Look under the bumper cover.  See if you can find a harness.  See if the back of the bumper cover actually has mounting points for the nuts & bolts.  

5 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Only thing I'd add ... the switch will only pull out in the far right (headlights) position. You'd have to do this every time you want the extra lights on. Should be easier to just snip the wires to those from the harness and bridge in from the existing running (or brake!) light sockets.

Yeah, but you should only use them in thick fog not for fun. They are brighter than brake lights and blind the tailing driver easily.

23 minutes ago, sKiZo said:

... and if not, as usual, cobble something together. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the las ....  ZAP!!

I've found that LED light bars can be aimed lower, and work great in inclement weather.  I have been using the light bars which illuminate in amber and daylight colors.  For camping, off road, power outages, underground garages - the daylight color works great.  But it's the amber color that really impresses me.  In my area, we get heavy, thick fog, and rain is called an "atmospheric river".  Snow isn't that far away from The City either.  Amber lights have been great for visibility, and make a huge difference in fog, rain, and snow.  

On the other hand, you may want to keep your vehicle as close to OEM as possible.  I get that.  Some people don't want all kinds of bolt on accessories sticking out all over the place.  I think that instead of trying to cut out holes in the bumper, and fabricating mounts - it's a lot easier to order the correct bumper with the foglight.  

Keep us updated. Maybe start a new thread for the front fog light install.  

11 hours ago, mrtn said:

Yeah, but you should only use them in thick fog not for fun. They are brighter than brake lights and blind the tailing driver easily.

I noticed a different hue to the bulb, but didn't seem all that much brighter overall. Then again, it was just a quick test. 

Looks to be a standard base bulb, so should be easy enough to swap out. Maybe hook it up with a BackOff module - those can be programmed to give three quick flashes and then go steady for three seconds, then off. Even then, you'd probably want to be able to switch them off in stop and go traffic.

Couldn't be any worse than these gawdawful Cadillacs coming off the line nowadays - those suckers can burn retinas. Lincolns also have a full width line array that are probably just a little dimmer than a nuclear blast at ground zero ...

11 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Keep us updated. Maybe start a new thread for the front fog light install.  

Already got a nice set of round LED fogs left over from another project that will fit in. I've seen where some folk remove the fake bezels and cut those out for whatever lights they're using, then custom make brackets and a wiring harness. Something for a slow day, eh. I'm thinking I can split the lights I have and trap the bezel between the front and back of the fixture. That should take care of mounting as they're not all that heavy. Looks like they'd end up pointing down a bit, which would be perfect for that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, sKiZo said:

I noticed a different hue to the bulb, but didn't seem all that much brighter overall. Then again, it was just a quick test. 

Looks to be a standard base bulb, so should be easy enough to swap out. 

It's the standard 21W bulb but the reflector and lens create a more tightly focused beam straight backwards.

One new factiod I missed earlier. I get a foglight indicator on the dash when I turn those rear lights on. It just shows beams to the right instead of both sides like on the switch, so I figure I get a different light for front fogs if that's enabled, but I'd be tickled pink to find some active sockets up front when I start digging in there. I assUme pulling the switch out will turn on both front and rear fogs if installed, and maybe the computer is smart enough to change the indicator if both are on. With such "undocumented features", you don't know till you try.

Anyone else check to see if their rear fogs work? Might just be the early imports and it just took them a while to figure out how to turn them off for sales in the states. 2011 was only the second year for the TC imports here.

• 3 months later...

I just purchased my new to me 2012 TC earlier this month. All of this is shown in the owners manual. Mine is an XLT with fogs. On my headlight switch: Rotate right one position - parking lights on. Rotate right second position - headlights on. Pull out towards you one position - front fogs on. Pull out towards you second position - front & rear fogs on. You can turn the fogs on in either the parking or headlight position, but you cannot have the rear fogs on alone. The tach side of the instrument cluster shows the front fog icon and the speedo side shows the rear fog icon when activated.

8 hours ago, jdob said:

You can turn the fogs on in either the parking or headlight position, but you cannot have the rear fogs on alone. 

Yup, the rear fogs are meant for serious fog where the rear lights do not penetrate it for a safe gap.

Reading the book? That's cheating!! <G>

Anyway - just checked my 2011, and the switch only pulls out when in the headlight position and I get the fog indicator in the speedo. I suppose if I wanted to, I could swap switches (and update the brain probably)  if I add a set of front fogs, or ... just go with an outboard switch.