Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ground Clearance

I'm a potential Gen2 Transit Connect owner, definitely in the market. Would definitely be doing a modifiable camper conversion for climbing trips.

Hope I'm not too far off topic, but wanted to bring back the ground clearance topic. I am not interested in taking the transit connect offroading, but I do spend a lot of driving time on forest roads and getting to fairly remote areas. My only concern that has me hesitating to pull the trigger on the transit connect is the ground clearance. Would any connect owners who regularly get out on high mountain/forest roads that can be bad to rutted out be willing to weigh in on their experiences? Have you ever felt limited or had to turn around because the road became too poor for the connect to handle? 

Thanks for any input, greatly appreciated.

Edited by Scrappy_TC
spelling

1 hour ago, Scrappy_TC said:

I'm a potential Gen2 Transit Connect owner, definitely in the market. Would definitely be doing a modifiable camper conversion for climbing trips.

Hope I'm not too far off topic, but wanted to bring back the ground clearance topic. I am not interested in taking the transit connect offroading, but I do spend a lot of driving time on forest roads and getting to fairly remote areas. My only concern that has me hesitating to pull the trigger on the transit connect is the ground clearance. Would any connect owners who regularly get out on high mountain/forest roads that can be bad to rutted out be willing to weigh in on their experiences? Have you ever felt limited or had to turn around because the road became too poor for the connect to handle? 

Thanks for any input, greatly appreciated.

I too would like more ground clearance primarily for getting in and out of camping spots. I drove through Monument Valley without a scratch where as many other small cars were scraping and bumping bottom along the very eroded rocky road. It seems like to me the most difficult part of a small spacer lift is getting the camber back into alignment. The TC does not have any camber adjustment. There are some parts out there for a Focus like spacers and camber realignment plates that might fit okay, some even say they fit a TC. Seems like a lot of trouble for so little gain. I am going to install the next larger tire size 55-60 series but that is only a .4" gain. Just like anything else until someone works their way through a small lift there are some unknowns. Sometime when I have nothing else to do I may venture into it!    

If there were more interest, aftermarket parts suppliers would consider development of Transit Connect specific parts.  Not that it can't be done.  A lot of things can be done.  But nobody to date is investing in research & development for this car.  Not enough private owners, voicing their desires.  Nobody is going to spend R&D money for a van, unless enough van owners ask for it.  Same way you're not finding bolt on exhaust kits, cold air intakes, et cetera.  

20 hours ago, desert_connect said:

I too would like more ground clearance primarily for getting in and out of camping spots.

Same, mainly want to be able to get the van into camping spots and down rough roads to more off the beaten path trailheads. All too aware of the connect's clearance, would maybe consider throwing some larger tires on for a minimal gain. As is(without any lifts/mods), any issues getting down rough roads and into more interesting camping spots?

Altering the tire sizes by any appreciable amount screws up so many things and the gain is so small, it's just not worth it.  The transmission shift points are computer generated and depend on the tires being the OEM size.  You can make minor programming changes for other size tires, but only for a few sizes very close to the factory size tires

Considering the low ground clearance of the factory air dam, if I was looking to buy a vehicle for off-road camping, I would be looking at something else  -  Maybe a Transit instead of a Transit connect.  Modifying the suspension of a TRansit for added ground clearance would be much easier than with a TC

Don

3 hours ago, Scrappy_TC said:

Same, mainly want to be able to get the van into camping spots and down rough roads to more off the beaten path trailheads. All too aware of the connect's clearance, would maybe consider throwing some larger tires on for a minimal gain. As is(without any lifts/mods), any issues getting down rough roads and into more interesting camping spots?

I camp mostly on public BLM land and have never had an issue with bottoming out so far. But with that said I do choose my path carefully and pass on camp turnouts that look too rough. Because of the TC's small size it is easier to maneuver around obstacles. I will still be bumping up to 60 series tires (Sumitomo HTR, 215/60R16 99V XL), same as GBL has done with no ill effects. Agreed that .4" of height gain is minimal but it is still much better than none. I will not go to any larger tire size than this for many reasons like Beta Don described above.   

Transit & Sprinter have all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive models.  Higher off the ground.  Longer wheel base.  Pricing is a little bit more.  Depending on your needs, it may be more cost efficient to rent when you need it.  With Transit Connect, I can drive it every day, and use it like a normal car.  With a Transit or Sprinter, not that you can't drive it every day, but it consumes more fuel and is harder to park.  

21 hours ago, Beta Don said:

Altering the tire sizes by any appreciable amount screws up so many things and the gain is so small, it's just not worth it.  The transmission shift points are computer generated and depend on the tires being the OEM size.  You can make minor programming changes for other size tires, but only for a few sizes very close to the factory size tires

Considering the low ground clearance of the factory air dam, if I was looking to buy a vehicle for off-road camping, I would be looking at something else  -  Maybe a Transit instead of a Transit connect.  Modifying the suspension of a TRansit for added ground clearance would be much easier than with a TC

Don't know if I want/can go full size transit. Bigger than I'd like, out of my price range, and seat options for any of the larger class vans are terrible. Not to mention the mileage/creature comforts that I would get with a transit connect.

Mostly want to know how much of a limitation others have felt with the transit connect. Never been limited by clearance in other vehicles.

Edited by Scrappy_TC

• 2 weeks later...

You might be able to install a small spacer kit to gain some ground clearance. Since the TC shares a lot of suspension with the Focus/C-Max/Escape, something like this might work:

Tema4x4 Complete lift kit 30mm for Ford FOCUS 3rd gen, C-MAX 2012-2018

30mm = 1.18 inches

Its not a lot but it might make the CV axles unhappy due to the angle change.