Ford Transit Connect Forum

Temporarily converted our Transit Connect into a camper

Temporarily converted our Transit Connect into a camper for Memorial Day on the super cheap, bought 4 47"x24" microfleece blankets and hung them up using magnets+adhesive tape, did the same to put a TV panel on the giant sun visors, and scissor cut a queen cheap memory foam folding bed to fit perfectly (exact width needed is 46.5"), which we folded up to act a couch in the daytime. Best car camping we've ever had, made us love the Transit Connect. Anyone have other cheap camping mods to share?

IMG_6777.JPG

IMG_6753.JPG

Makes sense.  Throw a mattress in the back, hang some blankets for insulation and privacy.  Same effect.  You sleep.  

I still use a little folding mat.  Some blankets.  A sleeping bag.  Or whatever you want.  You could move out of your apartment, sleep in your van, and save rent money.

Great to see this topic added

We all have at times done the quick camp thing....lots of fun without breaking the bank. As a matter of fact probably just as much fun as the $$$$$ conversions when you get to your favorite camping/swimming/fishing spot. Kudos. As conversion progresses I break down to quick camp mode every time l get the opportunity for a trip and the next phase of my convert is not quite complete.

Edited by Bill Jackson
Typos

12 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Sleeping in a van, is better than sleeping in a tent.

And a lot more secure given the abundance of crazy people who have no problem with violence to get what they want for today. If I push the passenger seat all the way forward I can get 7 feet of sleeping length out of my Gen 1 van.

Great temporary conversion.  I really like using the magnets to hold the curtains in place.  I've looked a lot on Amazon at three section foam mattresses.  My TC camping will probably be at a racetrack.  I carry my scooter to get around the track so bedding would have to fold up out of the way.  However my only camping trip has been on my motorcycle. Last summer I had reservations at several KOAs for tent camping sites but wound up upgrading to a cabin instead.  At the end of a 530 mile 93 degree F day on a motorcycle the thought of sleeping in front of an AC unit is very powerful.  I did camp three nights in my tent which was very nice.  Since I was in Dubois Wyoming I didn't worry about violence from people.

On my LWB Wagon I have found that a 9 ft "knotted end" hammock with the ends closed in the front passenger door and driver side rear door works perfectly.  I can even leave the driver's side 3rd row seat up with no interference.  Much more comfortable than any roll up or blow up mat I've slept on, plus it takes up a lot less room.  I keep my hammock rolled up and stowed in the passenger side overhead for lunch hour naps and impromptu camping trips.  

A lunch hour nap is an impromptu camping trip.

Ever oversleep the lunch hour?  I've done it.  Woke up, and it was 3 o'clock.  Can't make that too comfortable, or you'll drift off into a deeper sleep and not wake up on time.

I've got a 10ft hammock hung 100% inside my van, but I pulled out the front headliner (cargo van, so no rear headliner); hangs passenger front corner to driver rear corner. A 9ft would be a lot better, but I wasn't about to buy a 4th hammock just to use in the van, lol. I use rubber straps to hold up the front part of it while driving, since I don't have headliners in the way. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:06 PM, Fifty150 said:

Where are you camping?  Compton?

No, how about just outside of St. Louis. But all is well, just be sure of those camping around you and take care of one another. Otherwise you may want to be part of the guns for gifts program. No, seriously once I'm asleep and non-observant of any activity around me I'd rather be inside a van than just out in the open blindly trusting that the whole world is full of good, good, really good people.