Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ramp

Harbor Freight ramp did not work out. Could not slide up to the front tire. Front air dam under bumper is too low.  I bought a set around Christmas.  Returned it without hassle.   

Edited by Fifty150

Do you have the 12,000 lb or 16,000 lb model?  I wonder if I can drive the Transit Connect onto the 16,000 lb model.  I would rather buy the heavier rated model, in case i want to use it for something larger and heavier.

Confirmed.  Does not fit.  Store manager brought it out to the parking lot.  It could not slide up to the front tire.  She was hesitant at first.  Until I pointed out that I could buy it, and if it doesn't fit, return it; which would be a bigger hassle for her.  "Are you going to buy it if it does work?". Of course.  That's why I drove here with a coupon in hand.  The plastic Harbor Freight ramp looks just like the Flotool.  Probably the same.   I will consider price, and warranty before I buy.  

18 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Do you have the 12,000 lb or 16,000 lb model?  I wonder if I can drive the Transit Connect onto the 16,000 lb model.  I would rather buy the heavier rated model, in case i want to use it for something larger and heavier.

Mine are the 12K version

I honestly can't think of anything that would fit on them that would harm them, weightwise.  Dually tires are too wide and what can you think of that has more than 6 tons of weight on one axle??  Maybe a back-hoe or a Caterpillar Bulldozer??

Don

From my understanding, the weight rating is for 2 pairs.  So in theory, if you have four ramps, 1 under each tire, you can support up to the weight rating of 12,000 or 16,000 pounds.  Each ramp, by itself, is suppose to be good for 3,000 or 4,000 lbs.  

What I'm thinking is with larger trucks and SUVs, it would be handier to have to ramps with higher weight rating.  I would rather have the heavier rated ramps, than to find myself wishing I did.  The total weight of a truck is a little bit more once you have it loaded, or you have your tools onboard.  Trucks tend to have most the weight in the front end.  Maybe I'm just overthinking or being too cautious.

I like the Rhino Ramps,  but I see many negative reviews about them collapsing under the weight of a vehicle. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence unless jack stands are used as a secondary backup, which isn't a bad idea.

1 hour ago, zalienz said:

I like the Rhino Ramps,  but I see many negative reviews about them collapsing under the weight of a vehicle. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence unless jack stands are used as a secondary backup, which isn't a bad idea.

You see all the photos and negative reviews on Amazon.   Usually, it's the way the person drives up onto the ramp.  Road surface, a little too much throttle, a little slippage......  If the ramps aren't perfectly straight and in alignment, then you will have problems.  If the car goes up, then to the edge, and you go just a little too much, you will have problems.  I think that all the failures are user error, and happens when you drive up on the ramp.  Once you have the car on the ramp correctly, those ramps are not going to collapse.  Although your idea of using jack stands does provide an additional measure of safety, and it couldn't hurt.  

22 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

From my understanding, the weight rating is for 2 pairs.  So in theory, if you have four ramps, 1 under each tire, you can support up to the weight rating of 12,000 or 16,000 pounds.  Each ramp, by itself, is suppose to be good for 3,000 or 4,000 lbs.  

Please quote a source for your 'understanding'

Why would something sold only in pairs have an actual weight rating of only half what's stamped on the product?  It's my 'understanding' that each ramp will safely support 6,000 pounds, 12,000 for the pair because . . . . that's what's stamped on them

Don

Thanks for posting, Fifty.  It does look like their version of 12,000 pound capacity is . . . . one end of a 12,000 pound vehicle.  Pretty loose interpretation of the English language, IMO

At any rate, whatcha got that weighs in at more than 12K?

Don

Sorry.  My mistake.  I actually did read it wrong.  Fuzzy brainwerks.  I'm punch drunk.  In my mind, I figured that with a 6,000 lb limit, I wouldn't be able to use it on the pickup truck.  Although, with reading and re-reading, I think that the physical difference between the 12,000 lb & 16,000 lb rating, is that one has a wider ramp.  Both appear to be the same height, and the same length, with the same climb angle.  

I have the RhinoRamps 12K from Walmart. I've used them on the back of the van to install my hitch, but I can't remember if I've used them on the front at all. But I can say that the 12K has no problem with my 7.3L Powerstroke F350 4x2 trucks on concrete or gravel. Even left one of the trucks on the ramps in gravel for a couple days last fall.