Ford Transit Connect Forum

voice command not "hearing" me

I read all of the topics and I'm not seeing any that are related to my issue.

I have a 2016 TC with the basic Sync (no touchscreen, no navigation)

The voice commands stop functioning, it just stops hearing me when I speak. This has happened A LOT. My service advisor says its common, and a master reset will fix it. Of course it will...... I really don't feel like I should have to do a master reset as often as I do. I'm starting a log to keep better track how often it happens, but I would guess that I have to reset about once a month on average. Sometimes I even have to master reset several times in a row (3-6 times) before it will work properly.

Does anyone else have this happen? Is it actually common or am I being jerked around because they don't want to bother figuring out what is actually wrong?

Thanks!

I have a 2017 TC with the same sync and have never had a single issue like you have described. But then again I don't use it often and only for an occasional phone call. One thing I do not like is on my XLT they stuck the microphone (if that's what this is) down at the bottom of the dash beside the console. Seems like a great place if my knees could talk but since not I have to talk loudly. Looks like an add on and not from the factory..........is your's the same?  P1040160.thumb.JPG.9a440d6305129303393e95fe36b86dce.JPG

Have you checked for Sync updates? My 2016 with SYNC 1 has been updated once since I purchased it. Update using a USB drive. Google SYNC updates to find the website.

I never have to reset the system. Voice commands work mostly.

Thank you both for your insight so far. I use my voice commands a lot, mostly for listening to the music downloaded on my phone/Spotify etc. That is the only way I can find to switch between the "bluetooth audio" function and say, just being set at "line in" or the calling functions.

desert_connect

I do not have this type of microphone, mine is in the overhead console with a small hole/opening that is molded into the plastic. I agree that yours looks to me some sort of after the fact device.

Don Ridley

I have checked previously for an update with the Ford website saying I was up to date. I just checked again and it is up to date, with the "last confirmed install of an update" being the day I had it at the dealership for them to look at the problem. It happened to fail the same morning I was taking it in for another issue so I had them do that as well. My repair order only says that they performed a master reset, but they obviously performed an update as well. That was on April 10, 2019 and it just failed again today May 13, 2019. 

It's confusing because it says " We are pleased to deliver a new SNYC software update - available for immediate download " but when you click on update it says the below .

Despite all this i never had any issue with voice commands , every once in a blue moon when  i decide to use it no problems but it's exceptionally rare that i use it . I do not have that microphone thing like Desert Connect showed in his above post either . 

Capture.GIF

Edited by herb

Looks like it's a very cheap dealer installed alarm system. Seems to be for salesman convenience.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/never-buy-car-alarm-dealership/

If I ever see a piece of junk that poorly installed on a new vehicle from a dealer I'm pitching a fit. I may choose to do something like that after it's mine, but I'm an amateur working on my own stuff. A supposed expert dealer doing it so poorly to every brand new vehicle like the article mentions would make me run as fast as I could to a different dealer. Reading how they are used I would be wondering if it's still set up with the equivalvent of a master key. After all, if the dealer didn't remember to explain what it was then did he remember to change it from the master dealer module to the individual customer module.

Edited by DonShockley

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 9:22 AM, thebergmans3 said:

I read all of the topics and I'm not seeing any that are related to my issue.

I have a 2016 TC with the basic Sync (no touchscreen, no navigation)

The voice commands stop functioning, it just stops hearing me when I speak. This has happened A LOT. My service advisor says its common, and a master reset will fix it. Of course it will...... I really don't feel like I should have to do a master reset as often as I do. I'm starting a log to keep better track how often it happens, but I would guess that I have to reset about once a month on average. Sometimes I even have to master reset several times in a row (3-6 times) before it will work properly.

Does anyone else have this happen? Is it actually common or am I being jerked around because they don't want to bother figuring out what is actually wrong?

Thanks!

I have the same year/model as you, and this happens to me ALL. THE. TIME.  And it drives me insane.  Sync will just decide it's done - the downtime can last for a few minutes, until the next time the car has been off for a day or two, or DAYS at a time.  There are variations: sometimes it acts like it's working perfectly but just can't hear me even though it shows "listening" on the display.  Other times it just stops responding entirely and refuses to show me display updates or allow me to use the menu for anything other than the radio.  As of two days ago, a new wrinkle - the clock refuses to change.  I can go into the clock display menu, manually change to the correct time, press ok, and... nothing.  It just won't take the change.

I swear, I love the car overall, but Sync is enough to have me consider changing it out for something other than a Ford.  I'll probably never get a Ford again anyway after my experiences with their dealerships.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar problem with the SYNCH 3 system not responding to voice commands, and the so-called "master reset" was no help in correcting the problem. I took it back to the Ford dealer and insisted that they perform a full diagnosis of the system, and, lo and behold, the APIM was faulty! It took them a week to get the correct APIM installed (the first one Ford sent was also defective). At least they provided a service loaner vehicle while they had it for all that time (and it was a Ford EcoSport -- very tiny and anemic with its 3 cylinder engine). So far the problem appears to be fixed.