Ford Transit Connect Forum

New AdVANturer!

tp_connectic

Hello all,

Bought a used 2014 Connect XLT LWB the other day and looking forward to being a part of the community! 

Promptly after bringing the car home I ordered some Rhino Rack RTS535 racks to install. Like your average engineer I thought I could do it better... So I've created a hybrid install that doesn't use rivets (not a fan). We will see if that's the right decision!

Right now the inside is torn apart and the roof has all sorts of water intrusion opportunities. I've test fit up the first rail and things look promising... Pics and some details when it's complete!

If anyone has questions about rack install or removing headliners and such let me know, it's all fresh at the moment. Will try to post some level of instruction when I get a chance.

Trailer hitch going on soon as well... Have it in the basement, just sounded too easy and I didn't start with it! Haha

Also realized I have a work bearing or something that needs diagnosing. The car has a strong vibration under acceleration up above 70 mph. Any input is welcome, have not yet ventured into diagnostics but that's on the list.

IMG_20190425_085439.jpg

2 hours ago, tp_connectic said:

If anyone has questions about rack install or removing headliners and such let me know, it's all fresh at the moment. Will try to post some level of instruction when I get a chance.

Walk us through, step by step.  What to remove 1st.  Any tips and tricks?  Special tools?  Anything hidden or tricky to watch for?

On 4/27/2019 at 1:39 AM, Fifty150 said:

Walk us through, step by step.  What to remove 1st.  Any tips and tricks?  Special tools?  Anything hidden or tricky to watch for?

Finished the install today, came out beautifully actually! Will do a write up here soon, took lots of pics. 

... Definitely a lot more work doing a custom job instead of just popping holes and dropping inrivets :)

If you watch the video, it looks like it should take you maybe a few minutes more than the actual length of the video to perform :)

It's a shame the wiring kits are so expensive... Anyone recommend a specific kit? I bought a hitch but no wires yet!