Ford Transit Connect Forum

Sofa Bed

Hello:  I am about ready to sell my jeep and get a FTC that I can use for camping.  In my head I am trying to design a folding bed, but came across a site for a bench seat that folds into a bed.  I do not know the exact inside width dimensions in the cargo area, but I think one would fit.  Are the seat bolt locations already in the cargo area, or would they need to be added - of course it must be safe and with seat belts.  Some of the widths I have seen are 48" and 52".  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't camped in my TC yet but have looked at beds a lot.  Mine is the wagon version and for camping would probably take out all the seats.  Ive looked at the 3 section foam mattress on Amazon.  At night a bed but can be stacked as a sofa if desired - probably not a great one but with a little ingenuity could probably figure a way to make it better.  I haul my scooter in the back of the van so would need a bed that could be folded up and out of the way.  Scooter can be good local transportation without having to drive the van.  

Great recommendation from fifty150. I should have seen his recommendation before I did all the work I have done. I built out an L shaped couch/bed system that is removable piece by piece. All of the cushions are hand made and backed with 1/4" ply for support. The frames/supports keep everything 1 foot of the floor so that there is plenty of storage. I will post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

My solution for camping in my LWB is a 9 foot tied end hammock.  I close one end in the left rear cargo door and the other end in the front passenger door.  I didn't even have to lay down the front seat.  This is probably not the best thing in the world for the rubber door seals so proceed at your own risk.  

I did this on a 3 night trip last fall and slept way better than my buddy who slept on the ground in a very expensive tent.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, Hooty said:

My solution for camping in my LWB is a 9 foot tied end hammock.  I close one end in the left rear cargo door and the other end in the front passenger door.  I didn't even have to lay down the front seat.  This is probably not the best thing in the world for the rubber door seals so proceed at your own risk.  

I did this on a 3 night trip last fall and slept way better than my buddy who slept on the ground in a very expensive tent.

If you're in a cargo van, anchor inside instead of through the doors. I have a 10ft double hung in mine and wish it was a 9ft, lol. But, I pulled the front headliner/storage shelf out, so I'm hooked onto the steel ceiling directly, front & back. At some point, I'll be putting in insulation, so removing the headliner for now is multi-purpose. 

• 4 months later...

If you went to the site, you'll see that this guy doesn't cut the roof structure ie the transverse bracing, he just cuts out some of the sheet metal between the rear-most brace and the back door, creating a sliding hatch to get up into the bed. Thus it isn't a pop top in the normal sense that removes and raises the roof, it's more like a second story. Can't speak to leaks but there's always caulk. Thousands of vanagans can't be wrong. In Europe, you can get a roof-raising pop top installed in a day on a Connect and the cost is of course half what you pay for pop tops here, like on the Metris, and this one. You can have one shipped here, too but then customer support is a little far away and your local top guy probably won't guarantee his work since it isn't his top. That's why this installer in San Diego or Portland has more appeal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you’re looking for the most customizable option, maybe Ashley Furniture Signature Design Zeb Contemporary Sleeper Sofa is a good choice. It comes with the choice between three different mattress sizes and four different colors. The included mattress also consists of memory foam. This feature means the level of comfort you’d expect from a regular bed would now come from your sofa bed as well. The sofa consists of lovely looking polyester/nylon upholstery, which is both soft and durable.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:05 AM, Fifty150 said:

This has worked in a Jeep, pickup truck, Honda.......because i'm lazy, and not trying very hard to make things work.  

If you are lazy, like me:

71NwzU4lWrL._SL1500_.jpg

I use one of these...very comfortable and easily stored.