Ford Transit Connect Forum

Citroën Berlingo

mrtn

My colleague is looking to get the new Citroën Berlingo (5-seater). We have had a Berlingo panel van years ago (two generations back) and it was a shitshow. Going to see if the new one is any better. It’s significantly cheaper than the TC, about the same size. Costs about €24K fully loaded, incl. 20% VAT.

It looks a bit like Honda Element and Pontiac Aztek had a baby.

https://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/citroen-range/new-citroen-berlingo

New-Berlingo-Sable-Personnalisation.2868

Looks interesting, i suspect Citroen has let the hypo pneumatic suspension go.  If is does not have swing back doors I am out.  

Keep us posted if you get a test drive.

Edited by G B L

Ordered one today. The barn doors are only available in the lowest trim level. I picked the middle one (no glass roof, HUD, backup camera, roof storage compartments). Other than that there’s pretty much everything including lane departure correction, adaptive cruise control incl. the speed limit camera, start-stop, Android Auto/Apple Carplay etc.

Drives very nice, feels bigger than the TC even tho it’s about the same size. My only real concern is the weird gear selector. Come on, a regular shifter is just fine. 

19.jpg FFS:

33 minutes ago, mrtn said:

Oh yeah, forgot, fuel economy in the brochure:

57 mpg hwy, 51 mpg urban.

Wow!  I didn't read the brochure, I presume that's a nice little turbodiesel and imperial gallons?  Hard to see how you could push a big box thru the air on that little fuel.

No I converted the liter figures to US gal. PSA and BMW are the forerunners in diesel technology. Real life figures will probably somewhat lower but we’ll see. The car will arrive in a few days. It’s a 1.5 liter engine and an 8 speed box.

130 hp, 221 torques at 1750 rpm. Can be remapped to 160+ hp easily.

1322 lbs trailer w/o brakes, 2866 lbs trailer w/brakes. The cargo van is a bit different in numbers.

I can't see myself buying one for myself today, but if it turns out to be great and I could get a loaded one with barn doors then why not. 

Petrol engines available — 2018 International Engine of the Year, 1.2L PureTech S&S 110 hp or 130 hp EAT8 (auto) 

Diesel engines available — BlueHDi range 1.5L BlueHDi S&S 75 hp, 100 hp or 130 hp BVM6 (6-speed manual) or EAT8 (auto)

21 hours ago, mrtn said:

I can't see myself buying one for myself today, but if it turns out to be great and I could get a loaded one with barn doors then why not. 

I think that is reasonable.  If you get the LWB does the slide door get longer like the TC or is it the same size as the SWB?

It will be interesting to see how it plays.  Chrysler tried to sell the push button shifter for a number  years here. I Still want a  Steering column lock with a Key .

I hope it is well put together . If you ever get it up on a lift Take some pictures.

I had a Pugeot minivan in Italy on vacation a number of years ago.  The shift lever for the manual transmission protruded from the dash.  It was nice to drive, wife lost the key and we had to get a car - keys were in the Hertz office in Paris!  I actually argued about letting her take the key as I would be going to the car in a a couple of minutes - didn't dare say "told you not to".  LOL

That would have resulted in a very long ride to Paris .Life is not always the way you planed it,   I am  not a fan of the potential gas station drive off .  Another benefit is that you are sure to get it into park before you step out.

I saw a Citroen in Seattle yesterday.  It was an old DS.  It's the first Citroen I have seen in decades!  If a Citroen like that one ever gets imported to the US, I would be interested in seeing what it's all about.  But, what are the chances?

The first 1500 miles on a freeway (tavelling in Germany at the moment) say that its a good purchase. Drives really nice at 90 mph (kills the fuel economy numbers tho), very stable and plenty of torque for such a tiny engine. Transmission shifts lightning fast with the paddles. Cabin space seems much bigger then in the TC. Seating position is good, the flat floor with no center console allows moving around in the cabin. The CC stalk is a bit weird to operate. TC CC tilt key is better. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mrtn said:

as we’re going to get another one, this time with swing doors

Does that mean the LPG Tc going away? 

Do you think the smaller side door will be a minus or not really important.