Ford Transit Connect Forum

Upgrade instrument cluster 2016

Don Ridley

• 2 weeks later...

Search junkyards on the internet using the cluster part number. Use different search engines, Google, Bing, Yahoo etc LKQ is a nationwide company and may have one. Keep looking, a TC will end up in salvage yard sooner or later.

I just got the upgraded instrument cluster & i'm going to hook it up to make sure everything works. If this cluster is installed as is will it show the mileage of the vehicle it came out of ?. If it was left that way would it show somewhere the original miles of my van if hooked up to fordscan ?. The reason I ask is because the cluster I got is only 1100 miles different than the miles on my van & it would be nice to save the $90 on reprogramming the odometer. Or could I just leave it as is, Write down the mileage at the time of the cluster switch & if I ever decide to sell my van have the cluster odometer changed to reflect the difference before I sell it ?.  

Yes, the new cluster will show the mileage from the donor vehicle. The general consensus is the mileage is stored in the cluster and somewhere else  (like the PCM). But Nobody in the Forscan community knows for sure. Forscan only shows the IPC (cluster) mileage. Since the mileage is close, I would not spend the money to change it. Just make sure you note the difference when you sell the vehicle so you don't get accused of fraud.

Remember, to remove the panel above the cluster you have to pull straight back....NOT up. It will pop as the clips release.

Enjoy your new cluster!

1 hour ago, dawcio79 said:

Zarticus.I understand your new instrument cluster has lower mileage than old. If so I have forscan version with working "odometer write" function for 14-18 connects.

I did not see the odometer write function in the latest Forscan version, 2.3.33. Where is this function located (which module?). Can you please show a screenshot of it?

I do have 2.3.34 test version. Function is located under IPC module, below is the download link.

http://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.34.test20200521.exe

Important notes:

1. Please note this function can increase mileage, not decrease it. So if you enter wrong number that is bigger than have to be, you will not be able to return it back. So please be very careful.

2. Before run the change, please make sure FORScan show correct *current* mileage (it shows it when asks to enter new mileage).

Edited by dawcio79

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, Don Ridley said:

Don,

This upgrade is likely a plug and play on your TC. Mechanically, it is 4 screws and an electrical connector.

If you want to try it, I can look at your existing IPC configuration and see if you need to make any changes. You would only need the Forscan app on a smartphone and the elm327 adapter to reset DTCs (if any). I am sure I could have simply installed the new cluster and everything would have worked and the only issue would have been the odometer.

This was one of the best mods I have done.

Don D

adding a couple of colors?

• 1 month later...

TO OTHER IPC UPGRADERS

Have you noticed a difference between the digital and analog speedo after doing this upgrade?

Maybe you're like me and never looked.

I just noticed this after having done the upgrade in July 2019.

I've been really happy with the new IPC since I primarily use the larger digital speedo and never look at the analog speedo.

On a trip recently I by chance glanced at the analog speedo and noticed the difference: ANALOG = 69, DIGITAL = 65.

Really? Which one is right? Hope it's the digital.

I know the cruise control uses the digital value.

TO OTHERS THAT HAVEN'T UPGRADES

How close does your analog speedo match your digital?

Please share your numbers. Thanks!

Edited by windguy

Yes. Speed is calculated from tire size and number of revolutions. This data bit is sent to the IPC on the MS CAN and displayed. There is no resolution loss or calibration needed. Any calibration is done in the tire size data field.

I did some research and also took apart the original IPC. The only adjustment you can make on the analog speedo is to change the starting point of the pointer. This is very tedious and requires disassembling the unit. Basically you carefully note the current ) mph position and determine how far it needs to move. Pry off the needle without changing it's position and reinstall in the new location. The shaft on the needle is not keyed. The IPC will reset the needle to the 0 mph position every key cycle. If your speed error increases with speed I have not found any way to fix or adjust this.

Edited by Don Ridley
add calib info

Since my van is an XL, it doesn't have a digital speed display, aside from the cruise control setting (I even had to add the CC, dealer-ordered van with just power locks/windows only). But, I have a ScanGuage II hooked up and the analog speedometer matches the SGII pretty well 99% of the time, sometimes they'll be off by 1MPH from each other but even that is pretty rare. 

@don r - thanks for the additional input. Interesting. As long as the digital speedo is accurate I don't really care about the analog since I'm like you and never look at it anymore.

@jrm223 - didn't realize the XL trim doesn't have a digital speedo on the IPC. Time to upgrade (if you can). You won't regret it.

2 hours ago, williaty said:

So there was great advice in this thread about how to find the correct IPC on lkqonline. Anyone know how to find a 2014 steering wheel with the audio controls on the right side spoke? It's like lkqonline doesn't think steering wheels exist.

I'd give them a call. I checked to see the parts listing and I see the steering column but not just the steering wheel.

If you find a vehicle that has a picture of the steering wheel style you're after, call them for a quote for just the steering wheel. Example links below.

If you currently have cruise control then make sure this steering wheel also has CC. I think all XLT and Titanium trims come with CC but XL trim doesn't unless ordered as an option.

My trim is black but it looks like one in the linked listing and pictured below is beige (could just be the sun) so perhaps there are a few color trims. Something to make sure before buying.

I'd also try to source it from a vehicle with low mileage if possible so it's less beat-up. Check that out under the tab SOURCE VEHICLE.

Also noticed that LKQ now offers warranty options. That's new since I bought my IPC. Good luck!

https://www.lkqonline.com/2015-Ford-Transit-Connect-Steering-Column/-hS3mOPnc3Pm

https://www.lkqonline.com/2015-FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-Steering-Column/-hS3mOPnc3Pm/-i~249152420

1161479711_Screenshot2020-12-13195147.png.9c6dfaae414ef9e36bfcf2ebc2232c33.png

Edited by windguy

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
14 hours ago, gossipninja said:

what additional information does the color screen have?

Looks like it may have light and door open status on the right side car avatar.
Is there anything else?

I tried to load images using the regular attachment option but it keeps timing out. Low res pics too. Not sure why?

Instead, I loaded them to my Gallery. Use link below to view or they should be visible on the Forum's main page under IMAGES.

The carrot for me making this mod was getting a larger digital speedo, which is well worth it. Many thanks to pioneer Don R.

Edited by windguy

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone...!

I have a 2014 TC , XL

With no Cruise control, steering wheel has no buttons either, and the speedometer has the tiny screen.

I want to change the speedometer with the big screen to have Trip 1 and Trip 2 also the big digital speedometer...!

Also I know I will need the steering wheel with buttons to control the speedometer screen... 

My question is....

If I swap the steering wheel with the one with buttons, 

this would be plug and play..? 

What else I will need to complete this swap.. 

I want to find one steering wheel with buttons in both sides because I want to upgrade the radio with a touch screen android unit or may be one sync 3

Also I have the forscan already installed in my computer and know how to use it..

SmartSelect_20211005-205326_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Jseda
Adding a picture