Ford Transit Connect Forum

Upgrade instrument cluster 2016

Don Ridley

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

FWIW, of the 20+ modifications and upgrades, this is top 5. The screen looks better and contains more info. Plus, you look at this every time you drive so you are constantly reminded of your handiwork.

Good point. Like I said early and BetaDon mentioned too, I only use the digital speedo cause the other one is partially blocked from my viewing angle. All the more reason to upgrade. It's pretty ingenious of you to even think of making this mod yet alone figuring out how with minimal detours.

Curious, what does this mean?  "If you want to try it, I can look at your existing IPC configuration and see if you need to make any changes. "

Is the IPC Configuration a file that you can check out using Forscan?

Edited by windguy

Each module has a bunch of hexadecimal numbers (0 to F)  that define the configuration. You can see and edit this in Forscan. Ford has a website that stores the configuration of each module as it was shipped from the factory. This site will show the configuration based on the VIN. 

Below is an example of the IPC configuration. You can pull your as built configuration and compare if you wanted to see the differences. I only had to change one number on the new IPC. 

I know it looks complicated, but it is not bad once you study it for a while.

ipc example.docx

Edited by Don Ridley

24 minutes ago, Don Ridley said:

Each module has a bunch of hexadecimal numbers (0 to F)  that define the configuration. You can see and edit this in Forscan. Ford has a website that stores the configuration of each module as it was shipped from the factory. This site will show the configuration based on the VIN. 

Below is an example of the IPC configuration. You can pull your as built configuration and compare if you wanted to see the differences. I only had to change one number on the new IPC. 

I know it looks complicated, but it is not bad once you study it for a while.

ipc example.docx

Thanks Don. You're help is getting me closer. To show how green I am, I wasn't sure what IPC meant. Slightly above dolt status.

IPC = Instrument Panel Cluster

I had saved my read out from Ford ETIS a while ago when checking on the BCM for the dark mode situation.

I see IPC and recognize the DT1T-10849-SD Assembly Part Number. Copy attached.

I checked the cluster part number for each model year for Gen 2 and 2014 and 2015 both start with DT1T. Years 2016, 2017 and 2018 all share the same part number and start with FT1T, the cluster that you used.

591589510_FordEtisSoftwareSummary12-07-17.thumb.jpg.d940ad5eba45118bf7f582322d77c3e5.jpg

Edited by windguy

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, Don Ridley said:

I am trying to upgrade the instrument cluster on my 2016 TC XLT. Most 2014-2017 TCs have a monochrome center display between the speedo and tach. Titanium trim vehicles usually have a larger, color LCD display. I thought I could use color LCD  Focus cluster and had limited success. The cluster worked, but it did not fit exactly. The bezels around the speedo and tach on the TC are very deep and this makes the Focus and Escape cluster incompatible. Too bad because these clusters are readily available at salvage yards for about $50.

Attached are photos of my Focus experiment and an actual 2016 Titanium trim TC cluster (from a vehicle on Autotrader).

So, I need to find a used cluster from a 2016 TC Titanium. I will work the internet and salvage company sites. If anyone has a lead on this very rare part, please let me know. Buying it from a dealer is not an option because it costs around $450 with a $300 core charge (another case where Ford does not want you to upgrade your vehicle).

I think the part number I am looking for is FT1Z-10849-F.

Plus, I am not 100% sure I can get the configuration file (IPC As Built) to work properly so I don't want to spend a fortune on something that won't work.

IMG_20190413_144412758_HDR.jpg

2016 IPC photo 3.jpg

what was different about the Focus item? researching this currently along with a few other related items.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, Don Ridley said:

FWIW, of the 20+ modifications and upgrades, this is top 5. The screen looks better and contains more info. Plus, you look at this every time you drive so you are constantly reminded of your handiwork.

Well, I haven't quite done 20 mods yet, but this one is easily the very best thing I've done so far!  The new color digital screen is about twice as large as the old one if you measure it  -  It's lots wider and taller too, and MUCH more readable.  As Don mentioned, it shows data that I didn't know was available before, but the BIG difference  (for me) is how much easier it is to read your speed . . . . and like he said, I'll pat myself on the back every time I drive it from now on

Kudos to Don for all the work he's done on this mod and all the other cool things he's done with his van and posted here too  -  I did the inverter installation using his tips too.  I really didn't think I'd be capable of doing this one by myself, what with reprogramming with Forescan and all, but this is truly a 'plug and play' mod  -  Remove the old IPC, plug in the new one and everything works!  -  No programming needed at all

Big thank you to Don!

Don

2 hours ago, Beta Don said:

Well, I haven't quite done 20 mods yet, but this one is easily the very best thing I've done so far!  The new color digital screen is about twice as large as the old one if you measure it  -  It's lots wider and taller too, and MUCH more readable.  As Don mentioned, it shows data that I didn't know was available before, but the BIG difference  (for me) is how much easier it is to read your speed . . . . and like he said, I'll pat myself on the back every time I drive it from now on

Kudos to Don for all the work he's done on this mod and all the other cool things he's done with his van and posted here too  -  I did the inverter installation using his tips too.  I really didn't think I'd be capable of doing this one by myself, what with reprogramming with Forescan and all, but this is truly a 'plug and play' mod  -  Remove the old IPC, plug in the new one and everything works!  -  No programming needed at all

Big thank you to Don!

Don

That's very cool Don - I'm jealous.

Yeah, I second that Don R is a rock star with his mod work and helpful write-ups.

What year is your TC?

What part number IPC did you get and where'd you source it?

My TC is a 2014.  The correct part number for both 2014 and 2015 is DT-1T-10849-Uxx  -  The characters after the 'U' can be any letter.  Mine was UCC.  For a 2016, the 'D' at the beginning will be an 'F'.  There are dozens of Gen 2 IPC's for sale all over the place, but the one you want is fairly scarce.  That said, if you keep searching, you'll find one and good chance the seller won't know it's anything special.  I paid $75 with free shipping while many on eBay are asking $50 more for the one with the tiny green screen

Actually, Don found this one for me on eBay after I searched unsuccessfully  -  The seller had misspelled Transit Connect, so it didn't show in my search.  I ordered another one earlier based solely on the part number from LKQ, but when it arrived, the tag on it had a correct part number, but the IPC itself was the same one already in my van.  Look at the photos when you're shopping!  You can see the chrome trim on the unit and also the larger screen clearly in any photo.  The LKQ one I ordered showed only a generic IPC photo, which wasn't from a TC at all

Good luck!  -  Well worth the time and trouble, IMO

Don

@Beta Don - thanks for the info. That part number info is consistent with what has posted earlier. Helpful to know.

I've looked for that same part number a few times and came up empty but didn't push very hard. Will keep your search pointers in mind to make sure I get what I need.

Search tips:

Use full and partial part numbers

Use multiple search engines

Look at all Transit connect clusters on eBay

Search for Titanium trim salvage TCs

Offer lower price if list price is more than $100. Market price is $100 or less.

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

Search tips:

Use full and partial part numbers

Use multiple search engines

Look at all Transit connect clusters on eBay

Search for Titanium trim salvage TCs

Offer lower price if list price is more than $100. Market price is $100 or less.

Thanks Don. Useful info.

I had used some of those techniques earlier today and came up empty. Sure did find a lot of regular IPC's out there.

Also saw a lot of pics of bashed in TC's, both generations. That's kind of interesting to see.

I need to share a potentially scam situation.

I stumbled on a website called USEDSPEEDOMETERS.COM

https://www.usedspeedometers.com/

Seemed legit as they listed many of the familiar part numbers for different IPC configurations.

I then used their search tool to get a quote entering phone number, zip code and email.

I get two phone calls a few minutes later and this woman left a voice message in very hard to understand, garbled, heavily accented English asking me to call her back to discuss the details and that she has the part I need. I checked out the number she left and the caller ID number, different, and it appears that this "company" is fishing for personal info under the guise of offering used auto parts as others have reported. 312-509-4975 and 888-824-3048. The phone number offered on the website is for AAA Parts in San Diego per BBB. That same 800 number comes up under a lot of different used parts website just like the one above. The whole thing was very strange in what appeared to be a promising lead.

I'll keep searching when I'm inspired. I do wonder if the FT1T part would work in a 2014/15 model or at least what the differences are to the DT1T part.  

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone wanting to do this upgrade, there are a couple IPC's on eBay right now you might want to check out

To give you some idea of just how rare these upgraded ones are, for 2014/15 there are about 100 IPC's listed, but only one which is the one you want and as usual, the seller has no idea it's any different from any other, as he has 3 or 4 listed for sale, all for $170 and all but one of them are the 'ordinary' ones you can buy for $50 or less.  The one we're interested in is Item #192803763664

There's also one 2016 unit, Item # 192933882407 and it's priced at $96.  All of the upgraded ones have  a chrome strip around the speedo and tach, so they're pretty easy to spot, but double check to make sure the part number suffix is -Uxx

Don

WOW, just checked out that ebay listing Beta Don mentioned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer-Cluster-MPH-ID-DT1T-10849-UCC-Fits-14-TRANSIT-CONNECT-1128974/192803763664?hash=item2ce3fff5d0:g:AJsAAOSwa1hcS4g9

Check out the photos of the wrecked TC. That front end is mashed in good. Looks like they engineered the crumple zone really well.

Gap to the front door still looks good even though the front end is crushed in to roughly 2/3 the original size, maybe close to 1/2.

Anyone with a 2014 or '15 who wants to do the Instrument Cluster Upgrade, I've found what may be a real bargain

Check out eBay auction #183875395861.  This is a Titanium TC which should have the upgraded IPC (Don R ran the VIN & says it *should be* correct) . . . . but they don't have a picture of the cluster, nor the part number for it in the auction.  They say it only has 15,000 miles on it and the price is $79 OBO with free shipping, so maybe they'd take $65 or so for it.  I would contact the seller first and see if they will send you a picture of it and/or the part number from the back of the IPC.  If the part number ends in -Uxx, it's the correct one and if the picture shows the larger screen and the chrome trim around the speedo and tach, it's also the correct one.  Good luck . . . . this is a super price for a very hard to find part.  Hope someone on the forum gets it!!

Don

On 7/14/2019 at 9:24 PM, Beta Don said:

Anyone with a 2014 or '15 who wants to do the Instrument Cluster Upgrade, I've found what may be a real bargain

Check out eBay auction #183875395861.  This is a Titanium TC which should have the upgraded IPC (Don R ran the VIN & says it *should be* correct) . . . . but they don't have a picture of the cluster, nor the part number for it in the auction.  They say it only has 15,000 miles on it and the price is $79 OBO with free shipping, so maybe they'd take $65 or so for it.  I would contact the seller first and see if they will send you a picture of it and/or the part number from the back of the IPC.  If the part number ends in -Uxx, it's the correct one and if the picture shows the larger screen and the chrome trim around the speedo and tach, it's also the correct one.  Good luck . . . . this is a super price for a very hard to find part.  Hope someone on the forum gets it!!

Don

I ordered this cluster, thanks Don! Now I will have to find time to replace it.  I already have the buttons on the steering wheel from a cruise control upgrade

Congrats!!  It's not a time consuming swap  -  Most of us do it twice.  Once to make sure the used IPC works correctly before you send it off to have the odometer mileage corrected to your TC's actual mileage and then again when you get it back.  The install only takes half an hour or so

Don

You will need a Torx T-15 screwdriver to remove the four screws holding the IPC to the dash.  The top two screws will be obvious when the top cover is removed.  The bottom two are hidden behind a removable cover that clips to the dash and the steering column with a bit of vinyl in between  -  That one can be a bit tricky to get disconnected from the steering column.  Use extreme care not to drop either of the bottom screws into the bowels of the dash, where they might never be found again!

Don

I upgrade my IPC recently and want to add some notes to the ones above from Beta Don and Don R.

Both Don's were very helpful in guiding me through the process and Don R gets all the credit for pioneering this mod. Big Mahalos!

I really like having the oversized MPH display and for that reason alone I would recommend making this upgrade.

FINDING A DONOR IPC

I think the best place to find one is searching LKQ's database of salvaged parts. I got mine this way after Don R giving me some search tips.

I received exactly what I ordered and shipping was included in the price. Kind of interesting to see all the bashed in TCs. Some look perfect so I assume they got flooded out.

https://www.lkqonline.com/

My van is a 2015 so I searched under 2014 and 2015 to open up the selection. See the screen shots below. My donor IPC was listed under 2014, P/N: DT1T-10849-UCC

As mentioned in other posts, you need to find a cluster that ends with a -UXX. Prefix is DT1T for 2014 and 2015, FT1T for 2016 and newer.

Your safest bet is to find a van that is a Titanium. Verify by seeing the upper reflector in the rear taillights. Under the "Source Vehicle" tab, some descriptions will say Titanium, others might not. If you can see a pic of the IPC, then it's a sure thing you've got the right one. You can also run the VIN in Ford ETIS to see if it's a Titanium. Not all salvaged vans will show a specific pic of the IPC. Mine did and it was turned on so I knew it was the upgraded version. My cost was $68 with shipping plus tax.

INSTALL NOTES

All tips provided by the Dons are spot on. That top panel was hard to get to budge. I was getting frustrated but eventually it broke loose. I used jar opener grippies to help pull it when levering it with the same plastic tool Don R is showing. Before removing the lower trim piece, lower the steering wheel as much as possible. The lower trim pops out pretty easily with a light tug and it's attached to the steering column with some flexible vinyl gasket. I wouldn't remove this part but just leave it pulled forward and resting on the steering column. The IPC connector as Don R shows has a release lever, but you have to push a small button down first to get the lever to shift to the right to release. I couldn't figure this out on my own and consulted with Don R for help. Lastly, be careful with the lower two screws as Beta Don pointed out.

For getting the odometer reprogrammed, I used the place Don R recommended, odo-pro.com. $89 with return shipping and the turnaround was fast. It cost me $13 something to ship it USPS from CA to Odo-pro in CO.  http://odo-pro.com/index.html

So for around $175 you can get an upgraded IPC for your van. It's a low risk upgrade and well worth the effort.

LKQ 01.jpg

LKQ 02.jpg

LKQ 03.jpg

LKQ 04.jpg

New IPC MPH lr.JPG

Edited by windguy

It looks like I wont be replacing this cluster yet, the ebay seller sent me this today;

I went to pull your speedometer, and unfortunately mine was damaged and no longer usable. I checked to see if we had any replacements, but to no avail. I do apologize for the inconvenience, and will refund you promptly. If you need anything else in the future, I would be happy to help, as well as give you 10% off your next purchase with us.
Thank you,
Liz

I think that means they couldnt figure out how to remove and and ended up breaking it

• 7 months later...

This thread inspired me to do the swap too. 

Here's my swap.

Original:

IMG_1382.thumb.jpg.4b3a678e70e2b7c6ce5fee70f9445c17.jpg

Dumped the 24C32F EEPROM from my original cluster and transferred mileage details (0xF54 to 0xF67) to the new one.

IMG_1372.thumb.jpg.cb9d6ee808aa7d750d17c66a4ff4ca5d.jpg

Original monochrome cluster's EEPROM is right on the back. Easy access.

IMG_1370.thumb.jpg.23bdd2965856c1241b570a46f3b9a005.jpg

Color LCD display's EEPROM was on the other side so complete disassembly of cluster including gauges required for access.

IMG_1376.thumb.jpg.c09cf7d163bad1defa5c115e9bf68cc6.jpg

Done!

IMG_1379.thumb.jpg.3c5cd73af1df362962e0233652357f10.jpg

Pretty fun and straight forward mod!

Edited by kdkool

On 3/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, kdkool said:

This thread inspired me to do the swap too. 

Here's my swap.

Original:

Dumped the 24C32F EEPROM from my original cluster and transferred mileage details (0xF54 to 0xF67) to the new one.

Original monochrome cluster's EEPROM is right on the back. Easy access.

Color LCD display's EEPROM was on the other side so complete disassembly of cluster including gauges required for access.

Done!

Pretty fun and straight forward mod!

I suspect that you'll be receiving requests from members to do this as a service, haha.