Ford Transit Connect Forum

Looking at 2014s - Question about doors! Can I swap types?

Hello all! I'm planning to buy a 2014+ Connect this summer. I have gotten to the point where I'm about 95% sure I want to stick with the 60/40 door and not the lift-gate. 

The issue I'm having is that this decision is seriously limiting my used buying options, and it's hard to find the add-ons I want with the split door. I've looked at both and it doesn't look super simple, but I assume it would be doable to swap door types. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone done it

Appreciate any help, might buy a connect tomorrow if I'm confident I can swap the doors! (The one I've IDed with a lift gate that I like is white... so i figure finding a junkyard candidate for a door swap or someone willing to trade is fairly likely with that color. 

My other option is a blue with the split doors already in it, but a few more miles, a little worse shape, and the used car dealer I'm negotiating with is sleazy, so I'm hesitant to seal the deal.

Thanks again, looking forward to joining this forum for real soon as a TC owner!

I looked at my rear lift gate and don't think it would be a simple thing to do.  Didn't see where the hinges would mount on the sides.  The hinges for the lift gate are on top and each has a large rivet holding it in place.  

If you really want the doors I recommend getting a van with them.  When looking for my van I used Car Gurus a lot.  Most folks who are looking for the wagon version probably refer the lift gate.  I did see a 2017 with the rear doors that I would have bought otherwise, I prefer the lift gate.  It was very handy recently on a trip to Costco with the grandkids.  They sat in the buggy with a large umbrella over them.  I rolled them under the opened lift gate and they were able to climb thru to their carseats - of course with a few stops along the way as 5 year olds are prone to do.  

Thanks much for checking! I had checked the 60/40 doors and it was hard to tell, but I had a feeling that the lift gate was pretty hard fixed. What a shame! I have a tough choice to make :)

My plan was to affix a vertical bike rack to one or both of the 60/40 doors so I could have the hitch free and be able to swing the bikes out if the way when I need to get to the back. That of course relies on finding a rack system I can attach to the rear doors... But I think I can figure it out. 

The swing doors on the TC are 50-50,  the  Promaster City and the Nissan have 60-40 doors. 

The refit is would be more complex than it looks because of the wiring and wiper washer hardware hookups .  davidparker is correct that a good option for the bike rack is the swing out, hitch mounted rack.  I have an XLT with swing doors and it has all the options that i need.  Keep looking and you will find the right one.  You might have to take a ride to get it.