Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cruise Control

19transit

So, today I received a new 2019 Transit connect. Has, wifi, wireless charging, remote start, and so on. Why the hell would a vehicle manufacture build a vehicle without cruise control?!? Wondering if a dealer can put in a factory cruise control. Makes no sense for it to come without it. Not too fond of the idea of installing aftermarket.

The only question is does the car have the right wiring harness, if so then a good dealer could do it.  Unfortunately the best time to find out about adding cruise control was before you finalized the purchase.

Yep, do it yourself for about $30 (the OBD hook-up), a laptop with Forscan, plus a steering wheel from Ebay. I added factory cruise to my van and it took me less than half-hour. Much better than cutting/soldering/splicing wires under the dash and drilling holes for the aftermarket cruise control.

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, jrm223 said:

Yep, do it yourself for about $30 (the OBD hook-up), a laptop with Forscan, plus a steering wheel from Ebay. I added factory cruise to my van and it took me less than half-hour. Much better than cutting/soldering/splicing wires under the dash and drilling holes for the aftermarket cruise control.

Hi can you tell what you done to get it working.

tony

Below procedure copied from this thread on the forum

On 10/23/2018 at 6:57 PM, donuts said:

Cruise Control is working! This was done with a 2017 TC XL LWB Van + steering wheel from a 2015 XLT Wagon.

Step 1 add steering wheel with cruise control switches. I used one that was definitely from a Transit Connect. I have no idea what other Ford model steering wheels will fit. I used my original airbag. Swapping the steering wheel is simple and no wheel puller was needed - mine practically fell off in my lap.

Step 2 purchase OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter and pair it with Windows laptop. My laptop has bluetooth built in.

Step 3 Windows Laptop with Forscan installed. I used Windows 10 with Forscan version 2.3.18 beta with extended license installed.

Step 4 Make changes using Forscan. This is a little scary at first, but it's easy:

a. Connect to car - there are many tutorials on this.

b. Go to configuration "tab" on left, the icon looks like a computer chip.

c. Go to each of the modules that have "as built" in their names, start the service procedure, and use the "Save all" button to save your original configs. Do each module one by one and save each one with a different DESCRIPTIVE name just in case you need to go back to your original config.

d. Go to the BCM (Body Control Module) that includes Central Configuration in the name and start the service procedure - you need to be connected to the internet for this. It will pop up a warning box about downloading and installing a secondary boot loader to do this and it's not safe. THIS IS WHY YOU SPEND EXTRA $ ON THE OBDLink MX. Go ahead and follow the prompts including turning off the ignition as it tells you.

e. Once all of that is done, you will see all of the parameters in the Central Config for your vehicle. SOME MAY BE WRONG - mine said I have diesel engine and then the next line fuel type is listed as Petrol. Scroll down and find Cruise Control, click the edit item button, pull down and choose "With cruise control".

f. Click the write button.

g. Follow the prompts and cycle the ignition as requested.

Voila you now have working cruise control.

Now, for Step 2, I personally did not buy OBDLink MX because I generally strongly prefer hardlines over wireless, so I bought this OHP ELM327 USB adapter from Amazon and I've had no problems with it. The other difference with my vehicle is that for step 'e.' above, I had to turn on "Cruise Control" and either "Adjustable Speed Control" or "Adaptive Speed Control" (it's been awhile, so I don't recall the A word exactly, but only one of those will be shown). I had only turned on CC first and it did not work for my 2015 XL van, but after I went back in with Forscan and found the ASC further down the menu list and enabled it, I was then able to use CC. YMMV, but just a tip of what I had to do so y'all don't go crazy if you enable CC and it still doesn't work - in that case, enable ASC, lol. Or do it right off the bat, it won't hurt anything. All told, it cost me $120 for a steering wheel on Ebay and then about $30 for the USB/ELM327 adapter; Forscan is free and I'm a computer tech, so I have a few laptops and one of them still has Windows on it (W10 Home, specifically).