Ford Transit Connect Forum

TOWING

Drfeelgood

Is that the empty weight of the travel trailer?  Or is that the weight of the trailer, and everything inside of it?

You should be able to hitch it up, and get moving.  Perhaps a bit of a strain going uphill, and at highway speeds.  The extra strain on your engine and transmission should be considered.

The hard part will be stopping.  

It is never a good idea to tow beyond the recommended weight.  It just isn't safe.  

I would not do it.  You're better off renting a truck.

• 2 months later...

So, this is a hot topic with me.  I plan to be towing.  I've looked for everything I could possibly find on the topic and I find two ares of discussion: Can I, and Should I.

Can I...

Yes. Your Duratec 2.5 engine is capable.  Consider rear suspension help, tongue weight and trailer packing. Some people add an extra transmission cooler.  If your trailer doesn't have brakes, add them. Trailer brakes and a brake controller are kinda non-negotiable.

Should I...

This is the harder question.  There is history behind the 2000 lb tow rating.  Where does that number come from?  It seems awfully round and convenient as a number. Why not 1850 lbs or 2387 lbs?  2000 lbs is just the established standard for a class 1 hitch.  The factory hitch is a class 1 hitch despite it's 2 inch receiver.  The factory hitch is just bolted to the bumper and not the frame.  You can get an aftermarket class three hitch that attaches to the frame.  The problem then becomes a legal question.  If anything were to happen, could we be held liable for operating outside the manufacturer's published spec?  This is going to be a state by state question.  I've gotten answers in both directions.  Largely though, this is more an issue with commercial towing.  It's a VERY serious issue with commercial haulers with stiff fines for being over weight.

In my reading, I've come across some interesting pieces of info:  The TC was originally rated as not suitable for towing. It then became 2000 lbs. The speculation seems to be that this issue has more to do with EPA and lawyers than it has with engineering.  Search this site for an old thread entitled "Towing with the Transit Connect" from 2009. It was interesting.

My bottom line...

I haven't tried it yet, but if the new 2.0 liter engine will pull my trailer, I'm gonna do it.  (yes, I have trailer brakes)

Brett.

• 2 months later...

I've towed a 1400 pound trailer about a thousand miles  -  I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier than that, unless it was just going across town.  The van will do it, but it works awfully hard doing so, especially if you're anywhere that has hills of any size.  My trailer was small and didn't present a lot of wind resistance.  I certainly wouldn't want to mess with a 2,000 pound travel trailer!  IMO, 1,500 would have been a better absolute upper limit than 2,000, as that would take away the temptation to tow most any travel trailer.  Our 6F35 transmissions are not known to last long when subjected to abuse and towing a travel trailer is about as abusive as you could possibly get

Don

Edited by Beta Don

No problem starting off the line.  Van is capable beyond recommended specifications.  Stopping is harder. As already mentioned, trailer brake will help.  Hardest part may be handling.  

Besides the obvious, that you are doing something advised against, you already know what the risks are.  Injury and death.  

I say do it.  It's a lease.  Do whatever you want to do.  Blow out the transmission, and you don't own it.  

I have 3 trailers I tow with mine they all run between 1500 and 2000 loaded.  Once you get use the engine using the RPM range  the TC pulls very nicely.  Vermont is not the Rockies , but it has serious hills.  If  you stay with in the 2000 lbs  the braking is completely adequate.