Ford Transit Connect Forum

ContiproContact Tire. Any Good?

HeRodeCBR

Hello;   I have been waiting to buy new tires. Looks like now is the time. This was on the front of  my 2.5L 2015 Cargo door LWB XLT. It was also hidden under the van as a spare for a while. I would like to replace them with the alternative size 235/65 R16 in the same Continental brand. Are they considered a good tire? I use my Van in Florida, daily to work , light load. Occasional heavy load weekend runs with motorcycles and gear, highway use.

Van Transit Tire.jpg

Bought a set of 5 yes (5) Firestone Transforce CV tires from my good Tires Plus Dealer here in Safety Harbor Florida. Told him I had just come from a competitor of theirs and was hoping to buy from Tires Plus if possible. I was very happy with the final price and service. I will check tire pressure tomorrow to see what they filled to. On the way home the van felt more responsive than the old worn mismatched mess I had when the vehicle was purchased from my auto broker. I wanted a tire good in the rain being here in Florida and it rained while the tires were being installed. Thus the new rubber was properly "Baptised" on my way home. Traction seems about the same as the Contipros. I will report back as I get more miles on these skins.

Seem to get solid reviews .

"  Absolute TRASH. After 22k miles of mostly highway use these tires are completely bald. Rotated at 12k, but even the tread wear markers are worn off now. They started throwing big chunks of rubber at 10k miles"

Without question the worst tire I've ever had on a truck. The tread is completely gone at 12K miles. I wouldn't put these tires on a car going to the junk yard"

"  16500 miles and they have been rotated twice. Two of the four on the ground have less than 50%. The other two 50%. Gravel roads eat 'em up. Some of the worst tires I have owned"

" Worst tires I've ever used. These tires border on unsafe for their complete lack of traction. They should not be allowed to be sold"

" They are not a comfortable riding tire. Very bumpy. My biggest complaint is the tread wear or lack of it. I'm around 23,000 miles and my mechanic told me I'll need new tires in a few thousand miles. Rotated tires every oil change and kept them properly inflated. Very disappointed! We should file a class action lawsuit"

" Garbage. Worst tires ever. Worn out after 25K. DO NOT BUY. EVER!"

" Worst tires ever installed on my 2012 Ram truck. These tires shake terribly, and they can't be balanced correctly. Also caused my ball joints to wear prematurely"

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Firestone/Transforce+AT?px=1

16 hours ago, herb said:

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Firestone/Transforce+AT?px=1

That is a different tire, and if you go to another retailer Simple Tire there are many more reviews and they paint a different picture.

I cannot speak for the "Transforce At tire, I have had two sets of Transforce HT's on a 3500 Duel wheel Chev cutaway van .  The Registered Weight is 12000 and it runs that weight 100%  of the time.  The tires last 35000 miles and are retired . If the Transforce CV give the same service you will be happy.

Please link me to the "Simple Tire" site that rates the CV tires because when i checked there are no reviews anywhere .   The OP asked the below question:

Are they considered a good tire?"

I found a single site that offered some reviews and it said 2.5 stars out of 5 stars which is what the OP was asking about ,   no need to act defensive about it,  i'm sure some had better luck as the above posts indicate but are they a good tire ,  i would say no especially at the listed prices i see on the web .  It's a " To each their own"  as usual .

The Transforce CV must be relatively new I checked 5 or 6 sites and you are correct  no reviews. The 1010 tires site reviews you referenced  were for the Transforce -AT  tire  .  The simple tire reviews I referenced were also for the Transforce-AT tire.. My  experience with Transforce  tires is limited to the Transforce HT model and has been good. 

Edited by G B L

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I was not able to find any one here to upsize my tires at all. "Too many issues with speedometer and traction control, they will rub....etc etc." Still have not checked the pressure they were filled to. I will check them after work tomorrow, promise. Vehicle was in the body shop for a rear end collision. No real damage to my Van at all. My trailer hitch basically ate his 2016 Jaguar xf's front end up. He dove under as he drove me into the wide grassy center  median.I aimed for when I realized he was not stopping. They replaced my rear bumper mount and the bumper itself. Also they threw in an actual Ford OEM hitch saying it was required as the dealer can only install OEM under Insurance repairs. 

Traction in the rain still seems as good or better than the Conti's.

Good info, thanks for the update.  Good to know the bumper hitch held up well.  Read something today about unibody hitches causing buckling in the body if in a rear end collision with a hitch in the receiver.  Sounds like that is not the case with the TC.

I see you are HeRodeCBR, I had a 2012 CBR600RR that I sold cheap when I bought the van.  At the time I had a 2014 ZX6R636 ABS but currently ride a BMW F800GT, really miss the I4 600s, BMW is better on a long trip though.  BMW stands for Bring My Wallet  :-)

Yepp Sure Did Ed. Has anyone upsized? Any issues with tire rubbing or traction control? I could deal with any speedo changes...perhaps a mile per hour or two presumably. Could mathematically figure it out pretty easily. Tire pressure from Tires Plus Installers was very close. They went with 41 all the way around it looks like. I went back to the door jamb stickers suggestion of 41 front 43 rear. 

Yeah PhotoAl.

You got me standing up on the pegs. My CBR was a 1992 1000. It was my ex boss's son's. He took it all apart in the cafeteria of our shop and bought every top dollar part available for it. From wheels and "Upside down" swingarm to stage 2 cams and WiseCo1040 high compression piston kit. Then he landed in jail with the bike still torn apart back in the corner of our cafeteria.

I got a phone call late one night from his dad, asking me if I wanted to bail the kid out of jail. This was in 1995. Bail was $1350.00. Took me about four months to put that wicked beeahhh  all together. Called her my "RD on steroids". Cams were so hot that it loped like an RD gurgling just before coming on the pipes. What fun. Never built a 4 stroke before. Won the area's horse power shootout just trying to see if any timing adjustments were needed. Apparently not.

Tire Rack .com has a wealth of information for comparing tires. I have two ContiproContacts in 215/55R16 that will need replacing before the end of summer. I've been considering the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. It's a grand touring so it has a good blend of handling, wet/dry traction, reasonable tread life and hopefully a lot quieter than the Contis. I had considered switching to a 215/60R16 but couldn't find the correct load rating. The thought was to gain a little more cushion with that profile but that may not be necessary if the Goodyears are all they are cracked up to be.

5 hours ago, Sampa said:

Tire Rack .com has a wealth of information for comparing tires. I have two ContiproContacts in 215/55R16 that will need replacing before the end of summer. I've been considering the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. It's a grand touring so it has a good blend of handling, wet/dry traction, reasonable tread life and hopefully a lot quieter than the Contis. I had considered switching to a 215/60R16 but couldn't find the correct load rating. The thought was to gain a little more cushion with that profile but that may not be necessary if the Goodyears are all they are cracked up to be.

Sampa - another poster (tcconvert) posted in the thread link below about Pirelli Cinturato Strada AS's (a model exclusive to Discount Tires). Discount Tire is also called America's Tire in some western states. That might be an option for your replacement with the same size and ratings as the OEM Conti's.

I have a set of these on the TC . Closing in on 16000 miles and they have run very well .  215-60 16, XL load range  and relatively quiet.

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (H- or V-Speed Rated)
(200)

| Reviews (181)

Compare

SUMITOMO
HTR A/S P02 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
High Performance All-Season
  • Size: 215/60R16 99V XL
  • Load Range: XL
  • Serv. Desc: 99V
  • UTQG: 600 A A
  • Qty:
    Per Tire: