Ford Transit Connect Forum

Just checking in

Hello everyone;

I have had my 2015 long wheelbase Cargo Door window van for a little over a year now.

I get about 29 on the highway using mid-grade fuel here in Florida driving @ around 67mph. in town I get maybe 22 lots of long stoplights here in Pinellas county. My only real problem still has to do with the silly rear windshield wipers. The dealer says that they are "fixed" but they still do not operate reliably. Once switched on, the do not like to turn off. Makes no matter what mode they are in, one shot squirt and wipe, intermittent, or regular. Most time have to switch off the vehicle , remove the key and open the door to get them to turn off. Really.!! The best part is that they work better at turning off when the weather is cold. I suspect a bad ground somewhere on either the actual CPU of my Van or just the wiper circuit or connectors in the door. Cold weather could help the current carrying capacity of the suspect connection? I don't know? With what little training I have in digital logic a low signaling "Off" to the intended device needs to have a good enough ground to pull it all the way "Down".

Other wise a great Van. I have been using it for many purposes. I retrofitted a Dodge Maxivan's bench seat to allow me to accommodate a total of five people now. I still retained the quick release latch system as well. Quite a lot of work to do so but well worth the strength and durability not to mention ease of install and removal.

I have yet to post some photos of the seat actually installed. Here are the stock mounting plates in the planning stages. I know I have more photos SOMEWHERE...Sorry.

VanToolbox.jpg

KIMG0038.JPG

VanTransitOEMmount.jpg

Welcome.

The wipers are controlled by the main ECU, the Body Control Module. The dealer should be able to troubleshoot this. There may be DTCs identifying the possible cause. As with all electronics and programming, issues, some auto repair technicians suck.

There are many pages of troubleshooting steps  in the service manual just for the wipers.

Thanks Don;

That probably explains why they had a difficult time finding the problem. I have not really tried to solve it myself as I still had about six moths and six-thousand miles left on the factory bumper to bumper warranty. I bought the vehicle for a really great price from an out of town auto-broker. Now since that part of the warranty has expired I may poke around and try to solve it. I do not have any paper documentation other than user guides and owner's manual provided when I bought it. I did subscribe to the online "All Data" service for some technical background on it.

According to my 2016 schematics, power for the rear wipers is supposed to turn off when the key is not in the start or run position. Maybe yours is different? There is a relay in the engine compartment that operates the wipers and this may be the item that is temperature sensitive.  Let me know if you want to look into this and I can post the schematics.

No it sounds the same Don. The rear wipers do shut off when I turn off the key. Unless I remove it  (the key) and open the door any door to actually shut off all the accesories it (the rear wipers) will resume. Hehaha.  Schematics would be awesome. Let me know if you rather Email them to me than post here publicly.

Here are a few more pictures of my Dodge Maxivan to Transit Connect Seat conversion:

Van mount in.JPG

Van Seat Bot.JPG

van seat gussets.jpg

van seat material.jpg

van seat Pos.jpg

Van Seat Reloc.jpg

Here are the rear wiper schematics.

The rear wiper relay is in the battery junction box (BJB). The rear wiper operation: The BCM sends a signal to the wiper motor (blue wire). The motors turns and trips the internal switch that provides constant power to the motor independent of the BCM signal. As the wiper returns to the "park" position the switch opens and if the BCM does not send another "on" signal the wipers stop in the "park" position.

So, if your wipers continue to run either the BCM is sending a constant "on" signal (by pulling the relay to GND) or the wiper relay is stuck in the "on" position. Or, as you suspect there could be a grounding problem somewhere. Worst case, you need to replace the BCM ($$$$).

Good Luck!

wiper barn doors.pdf

wiper main.pdf

bjb.pdf