Ford Transit Connect Forum

Removing Factory Roof Rails?

Hi, 

Does anyone know how to remove the factory roof rails? 

It looks like the back has a 3-4" section on the end that comes off, but I don't want to break it in the process. Likewise the front has a much longer section that looks like it comes off too. I pulled up on it and actually broke a clip. But, it still isn't coming off. Help please!

Thanks

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

• 1 year later...

Transit by the Bay, did you ever get an answer on how to remove the roof rails? Help! From your photos I see I have the same thing.

Just got a used 2016 TC xlt wagon (passenger version with 3 rows of seats) and need to remove the factory roof rails to replace with something more substantial. Finding zero information on how to remove. Plenty of ideas about what to replace it with, but nothing about how to take it off. Or how to remove interior portions if that's necessary. 

Thanks to anyone that can help!

I have a 2016 very similar.  Sorry don't have the complete answer but dropping the headliner is tedious with lots of hidden clips and then there are the airbags.  I did it on a 2008 VW Rabbit to redo the headliner.  If I did it about 10 times would get good at it but just one time was a pain.  I think some of the parts diagrams show the locations of the clips.

When I first got the van really wanted to put stuff on top but then fixed my tiny trailer up and now haul stuff on that.  I have a pair of crossbars that have never been installed but have the factory roof rails.  

As already mentioned, drop both parts of the headliner, since you have a passenger wagon. I'm one of the cargo guys, so I can't really help with what's needed for removing the back headliner. Each rail has 5 screws under the ceiling/roof to hold it on, I've marked their positions in red on the passenger side in this pic and left the Ford markings on the driver side: 

60578782_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0613-16-29.png.050301b71fe88f6e0db803c21975acf1.png

After you get the headliners down, you'll be able to see and remove the screws. There will be openings left behind in the roof, so you'll need to decide how you want to make sure they won't be leaking after you change to whatever other rails you may choose. And you don't have to do anything at all with the side curtain airbags, at least on the front seats. Again, my van is a cargo model, so I can't say what you'll find in regards to side curtain airbags in the second and/or third-row seating of a passenger wagon... But the front ones are mounted far enough outboard from the rail channels that you'll have plenty of space to swing a ratchet, haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

On a wagon, you will have to drop both the Front and rear headliners.  Here's the steps in general (special tools required mostly panel poppers):

1. remove 3rd row if fitted

2. remove rear quarter panels, disconnect any courtesy lights if fitted, panels pull toward the centerline of the van

3. remove 3rd row seatbelts, and upper quarter covers

4. remove hooks from headliner (pry cover toward center, then rotate 90 degrees to remove)

5. drop front headliner (instructions in prior post)

6. remove trees from rear headliner, takes pretty hard pull, use panel tool carefully

7. remove dome light

8. Work headliner out from side and rear gaskets, try NOT to remove these, there is a very tenacious sealant that will get on everything if they are removed.

9. Drop headliner and pull out from van from rear.  Note harnesses must be disconnected from front section when that is removed.

Once removed, the rails have 5 nuts, the center ones you will need very small socket on long extension to reach them through the airbags.  You will also need to loosen the airbags brackets in the middle, flex it down and then you can reach another nut.

Generally, there are almost no screws holding the interior together, it all pops in/out BUT the trees and mounts are fragile and without a tool they are easily broken during removal.  A very bright shop light is helpful, the front area of the van has very deep gaps between the floor liner, seats etc and if a stray screw goes down there it's pretty much gone.  Keep in mind when removing the front shelf which has small screws deep in mounts....

• 1 year later...