Ford Transit Connect Forum

Sometimes my 2010 has a coolant / antifreeze smell, but the coolant level has not gone down in 5,000 miles.  The coolant level was slightly low when I purchased her, but after topping it off, hasn't been low since.  I know this smell from previous vehicles that have had leaks.  Any idea where to begin looking?  Info: 2010 2.0L gas engine, only 47,000 miles.

Heater core, maybe.  Hoses  deliver coolant to the heater core and return the radiator fluid back to the cooling system.  A fan blows that heat into your passenger cabin.  That is one way the odor of antifreeze can enter your cabin.  

My 2012 TC had that issue. I inspected everything....I mean everything and found nothing. Then one day as I looked through the engine compartment from an unusual angle to the back side of the radiator I saw a little orange discoloration on the radiator fins. Van had 72,000  miles on it and some of the fins were leaking at the seams/creases. The van had spent most of its life as a port security vehicle at the Port of Norfolk. I can only guess/assume that at some point those fins may have been bumped, gouged, scratched by a mechanic or a curious person looking under the hood. The salt air may have done its work to the damaged fins. Just my guess. I had the radiator issue remediated and the smell is gradually going away. Who knows how much residue may be on assorted parts of the engine/body from the long standing process of decay. I may be opening a can or worms but here we go.....make sure you have the system filled with the Ford branded Orange fluid or a product that you have verified to be an absolute equivalent. I had some challenges with an abundance of conflicting opinions about that. I finally went to the dealer and gave up a few dollars....tired of hearing yet more, more, more than I wanted to hear about types of radiator fluid.

Forgot to specify, the smell is outside the cabin.  I'm going to go with the theory that it's a tiny leak, or nothing, for now and keep an eye on the engine temp.  I'll look around the radiator and check for crust on the hoses.  Thanks everyone.

Mr. Jackson, you are correct.  In modern vehicles, you should use the manufacturer specified fluid type.  Not a multi-vehicle coolant or antifreeze.  

On 3/24/2019 at 10:49 AM, Bill Jackson said:

. I may be opening a can or worms but here we go.....make sure you have the system filled with the Ford branded Orange fluid or a product that you have verified to be an absolute equivalent.