Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hood Pull Broke

zeb

Zeb,

I think most of us are stumped. Did the cable break somewhere under the hood? If not, you may be able to pull it with pliers. Any chance of access from under the vehicle (I have the 1.6l and it's impossible with this engine)?

Do you need a photo of the latch to see what to pry on during the surgery from the front grill?

Zeb - Your van should still be under warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles), yes?

I realize you can't drive it over to the dealer to have them fix it with a dead battery, but perhaps you can consult with the dealer on how to fix it or remedy the situation under warranty work.

You can ask if your new vehicle Ford tow coverage would cover the costs to transport to the dealer or if you have AAA or insurance coverage for towing.

Just things to think of before you start busting into the van causing collateral damage. Good luck!

1 hour ago, windguy said:

You can ask if your new vehicle Ford tow coverage would cover the costs to transport to the dealer

In The USA, there is a roadside assistance program which is a part of your warranty.

1994564375_fordroadside.thumb.jpg.4bb6ff7d2998db8a6fb3913f3d36d047.jpg

5 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

I think most of us are stumped. Did the cable break somewhere under the hood? If not, you may be able to pull it with pliers. Any chance of access from under the vehicle

In most cars, the only thing connecting the pull handle and the underhood latch, is a cable.  Usually, the break is on the attachment at one end or the other.  Almost impossible to sever the cable somewhere in the middle.  If the cable broke loose from the handle, that's pretty easy.  Just pull it with a pair of pliers.  If the cable broke off the connection point at the latch, that creates quite the problem.  You may be able to pop off enough of the plastic retainers to pull away parts of the wheel well, or grille & front fascia, to get to the hood latch to manually release it.  There must be a better solution than just breaking pieces off.  Otherwise, you end up forcing it with a pry bar until it breaks, then you' won't be able to close it after you get the car started.

Before I broke the grille to open the hood, I would look for a place tpo hook a battery charger and see if you can't charge the battery and then drive it to the dealer

Don't we have a 12 volt outlet which is always hot?  A 6 or 10 amp battery charger connected there overnight should get it going again

Don

The 12 volt cigarette lighter style power outlet between the front seats is always hot on my Gen2.  Over the years, I've seen a lot of odd things in truck stops.  Not just Lot Lizards, but things you might actually want to buy.  I recall seeing devices which allowed you to plug into a cigarette lighter, which allowed for boosting the battery and/or jump starting the car.  I also recall seeing car-to-car cigarette lighter booster cables.

Read the reviews on that piece of junk  -  33% of them are 1 star.  It claims is puts 5 amps into the dead battery, which is just shy of what a typical 6 amp battery charger does.  I kinda doubt all 5 of those amps actually get there, considering the tiny wire gauge and the length of the wire

Don

You're probably right.  I don't own one.  I just recall seeing those in truck stops as I traveled.  But there are probably similar devices.  I also recall that some of those lithium battery jump start packs have attachments which are suppose to feed power into the car via the cigarette lighter port.  I wonder how well those work.

I looked at my 2016 with the 2.5 engine.  It would be pretty tough but with some patience it might be possible to get to the latch from underneath with a a coat hanger.  One of those flexible cameras would help.  It might be possible to get to it from the grill but there wasn't an easy obvious way.

Love the way the drivers door has to be open to release the hood.

yes that's what I figured.  I park on the right side of the garage and walk around the van to get in.  At least twice I've opened the passenger door and leaned across the seat to open the hood but couldn't because of the safety feature.  A minor aggravation.  This is the first vehicle I've had that has had something like that.