Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 LWB XLT - 38000 MILES!

MindMajick

Just bought a 2014 LWB Ford Transit connect with 38k miles on it. It's got the 2.5 and is a white wagon model. 

I've been looking for a gen2 for about 6 months and was about to drive 200 miles to look at newer one with many many more miles and wear and heavy wear.

This one showed up down the street.. had a clear Carfax (whatever that means lol) and was the right price for me.

I'll drop pictures when I have them, but was wondering how many (bi)cyclists are around here? Trying to figure the best way to fit non-road bikes internally without damage. So far moving blankets work ok but inelegant.

Completely in love with this vehicle. It is everything I expected but still praying I have no issues. Never owned a Ford and always heard bad stuff, but it truly feels like a baby truck to me.

(Also- if anyone sees this. The last owner put an awesome aftermarket stereo in.. and I have this second screen thing above it. Does ANYONE know how to fix the time on the second screen??? Driving me insane!) i

Hello everyone ?

Edited by MindMajick

@MindMajick - Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new van. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

As Don said above, there are a other cyclists on this forum sharing their bike mounting methods. Two more links below. I'm sure there are others if you search.

https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/6110-2016-tc-xlt-lwb-wagon-project-mtn-bikerdog-haulercamper/?tab=comments#comment-18879

https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/5796-vincent-vangoing-10/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-22296

Welcome!  My bicycle is a gravel road bike so probably not exactly what you have but Ive thought about carrying my bike inside.  I was going to use a MDF board with a front axel mount fastened to it.  would fit that between the two middle seats.  I did take it on vacation last summer but took the wheels off and set everything on top of the mountain of luggage in the back.  Put a heavy blanket over all that and had no problems.  I could still see out the back without any issues.  As mentioned above some good ideas on bike mounts in the threads above.  I have a hit mount bike carrier but haven't used it yet.

6 hours ago, MindMajick said:

Never owned a Ford and always heard bad stuff,

?

Fix Or Repair Daily

If it gets hit from behind, it blows up.  Pinto.  True.

They should have never even made this car.  Mustang II.  A sport Pinto.  I had one.  True.

100,000 mile spark plugs.  Spark plugs that shoot out of the engine.  Spark plugs that get stuck in the engine and break.  Lifetime Fluid Transmissions that last until the transmission fails; and that's the whole warranty - the fluid lasted the lifetime of the transmission!  Best selling full size sedan in America - all Crown Vic fleet sales to police agencies.  Best selling pickup truck in America - all fleet sales to government agencies, utilities, and construction companies.  Not to mention that if GM ever admitted that they fleece the public by selling the same exact truck under different brands, then those combined sales would probably be more than F-150.   Then all of the little things like failing switches and controls on the dash.  Dashboards that go blank.  Service indicator lights that activate, even though there isn't a repair needed.  Plastic door cable latches which aren't strong enough for the steel cable.  I ordered a ham & cheese, then got a cheese & ham.

I understand why there's so much bad stuff.  Same reason why Honda automatic transmissions are weak, but everybody thinks Honda is great.  I've got an Accord. My ex has the Acura clone. My brother in law has the Acura clone, and he just bought the Pilot.  My cousin has the Acura Pilot Clone MDX.  I could go down the line with how many people I know who own Honda.  And I'll be the first to tell you that Honda suspensions cannot support any weight, like a real truck.  So never, ever load more than 2 fat people into a Honda.   Honda started out as a motorcycle company, which made  the best and worst bike of all time - all in 1 bike.  That stupid Honda-matic motorcycle, with the automatic transmission, which Prince rode in Purple Rain.  Yet, every kid I knew in school, had a Fast & Furious Civic with lots of stickers and a loud muffler.  

Everybody loves the Prius, despite it being one of the deadliest late model cars with unintended acceleration and brakes that do not respond.  Ask tow truck operators how many Prius they tow.  And who wants to be the second owner of that car, with the bill for the replacement battery pack?  They just aren't that great in a collision either.  You've got to be a vegetarian to drive one those.  And I just can't look tough or cool enough in a Prius; as opposed to how I can be a Pimp in a Transit Connect.  I still can't get over the great engineering of putting an oil drain plug 1/4" up on the side of the pan, so that you can't ever drain all of the oil out completely without a suction pump tube.  Or how some of Toyota's engines have an oil filter upside down on the top of the engine.  And most people that I know think that Toyota took the wrong turn when they discontinued the Celica Supra cars, and focused on making the ever so boring Camry.

Truth is, no matter what you buy, every car will have a unique set of issues.  Some will manifest over time, like all the things that go wrong for the second owners of BMW X5.  First owners love them.  BMW will give you a loaner, fix everything for free under warranty, and then sell you on trading it in for another new one when the warranty is up.    Mercedes also failed with their Lifetime Fluid Transmission.  Completely sealed without a dipstick or any way to service it.  It didn't matter, because it never failed on the first owner within the warranty period.....just like Ford!

So now you're one of us.  You've got a car that is known for it's failures, and you're ready to be the one who fixes them.  You bought a City Van with a transmission, that even everyone who owns one, agrees that it is not very good.  A suspension which is exactly heavy duty for loads, or comfortable for passengers.  An anemic little motor, that somehow allows for a little wheelspin.  And the biggest sun visors I've ever seen!

Congrats on your new van.  We're all waiting to see the photos of what you do with it.

Wow. And I thought I bought the van for it's durability and versatility.

Sorry I asked ?

--

I don't think I mentioned that my last car was a 2008 Nissan Versa.. The engine and transmission in this vehicle feel downright superpowered in comparison.

Edited by MindMajick

I never felt like the 2.5 was underpowered , i knew i wasn't getting a speedster and it zips along like every other 4 cyl i have had in the past .  One of the biggest reasons i bought a 2018 with the 2.5 L engine is because i found out the 2019's were even less powerful .   The 2019's get better mileage but at the expense of less overall torque & horsepower.

I hate the change to the front end on the 2019's also especially the fog lamp design change and the front grille change , don't like the new dash design either lol.  The best looking TC's to me are all from 2013-2014 up to 2018 .

15 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Fix Or Repair Daily

If it gets hit from behind, it blows up.  Pinto.  True.

They should have never even made this car.  Mustang II.  A sport Pinto.  I had one.  True.

100,000 mile spark plugs.  Spark plugs that shoot out of the engine.  Spark plugs that get stuck in the engine and break.  Lifetime Fluid Transmissions that last until the transmission fails; and that's the whole warranty - the fluid lasted the lifetime of the transmission!  Best selling full size sedan in America - all Crown Vic fleet sales to police agencies.  Best selling pickup truck in America - all fleet sales to government agencies, utilities, and construction companies.  Not to mention that if GM ever admitted that they fleece the public by selling the same exact truck under different brands, then those combined sales would probably be more than F-150.   Then all of the little things like failing switches and controls on the dash.  Dashboards that go blank.  Service indicator lights that activate, even though there isn't a repair needed.  Plastic door cable latches which aren't strong enough for the steel cable.  I ordered a ham & cheese, then got a cheese & ham.

I understand why there's so much bad stuff.  Same reason why Honda automatic transmissions are weak, but everybody thinks Honda is great.  I've got an Accord. My ex has the Acura clone. My brother in law has the Acura clone, and he just bought the Pilot.  My cousin has the Acura Pilot Clone MDX.  I could go down the line with how many people I know who own Honda.  And I'll be the first to tell you that Honda suspensions cannot support any weight, like a real truck.  So never, ever load more than 2 fat people into a Honda.   Honda started out as a motorcycle company, which made  the best and worst bike of all time - all in 1 bike.  That stupid Honda-matic motorcycle, with the automatic transmission, which Prince rode in Purple Rain.  Yet, every kid I knew in school, had a Fast & Furious Civic with lots of stickers and a loud muffler.  

Everybody loves the Prius, despite it being one of the deadliest late model cars with unintended acceleration and brakes that do not respond.  Ask tow truck operators how many Prius they tow.  And who wants to be the second owner of that car, with the bill for the replacement battery pack?  They just aren't that great in a collision either.  You've got to be a vegetarian to drive one those.  And I just can't look tough or cool enough in a Prius; as opposed to how I can be a Pimp in a Transit Connect.  I still can't get over the great engineering of putting an oil drain plug 1/4" up on the side of the pan, so that you can't ever drain all of the oil out completely without a suction pump tube.  Or how some of Toyota's engines have an oil filter upside down on the top of the engine.  And most people that I know think that Toyota took the wrong turn when they discontinued the Celica Supra cars, and focused on making the ever so boring Camry.

Truth is, no matter what you buy, every car will have a unique set of issues.  Some will manifest over time, like all the things that go wrong for the second owners of BMW X5.  First owners love them.  BMW will give you a loaner, fix everything for free under warranty, and then sell you on trading it in for another new one when the warranty is up.    Mercedes also failed with their Lifetime Fluid Transmission.  Completely sealed without a dipstick or any way to service it.  It didn't matter, because it never failed on the first owner within the warranty period.....just like Ford!

So now you're one of us.  You've got a car that is known for it's failures, and you're ready to be the one who fixes them.  You bought a City Van with a transmission, that even everyone who owns one, agrees that it is not very good.  A suspension which is exactly heavy duty for loads, or comfortable for passengers.  An anemic little motor, that somehow allows for a little wheelspin.  And the biggest sun visors I've ever seen!

Congrats on your new van.  We're all waiting to see the photos of what you do with it.

Thats the funniest one ,  "Fix Or Repair Daily"  and "Found On Road Dead" .  Don't forget "First On Race Day" 

On 3/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, MindMajick said:

(Also- if anyone sees this. The last owner put an awesome aftermarket stereo in.. and I have this second screen thing above it. Does ANYONE know how to fix the time on the second screen??? Driving me insane!) ?

I have this same issue  -  I installed a Pioneer Nav receiver and kept the upper screen for the back up camera.  In order to set the date and time correctly on the upper screen, I had to keep the original radio faceplate and plug it back in, set the time and date and unplug it.  I don't bother to change it for Daylight Savings Time, but anytime the battery is disconnected, the date and time starts over at it's programmed beginning, so I grab that faceplate out of the glovebox, plug it in and reset it.  A bit of a pain, but the new stereo is worth it!

Don

With these newer cars, the entertainment head unit is very much integrated with other operations.  In some cases, it's only a minor annoyance; like not being able to use your steering wheel controls with the aftermarket tape deck.  The stereo's touch screen in cars of tomorrow will handle everything from the climate control, to the transmission shift.  In the very near future, the stereo screen will be tied into so many other features in the car, that you will not be able to upgrade......until a clever aftermarket manufacturer develops some sort of radio which will handle all of the car's controls.  Bring back the 8-track!

On 3/2/2019 at 5:09 PM, Beta Don said:

I have this same issue  -  I installed a Pioneer Nav receiver and kept the upper screen for the back up camera.  In order to set the date and time correctly on the upper screen, I had to keep the original radio faceplate and plug it back in, set the time and date and unplug it.  I don't bother to change it for Daylight Savings Time, but anytime the battery is disconnected, the date and time starts over at it's programmed beginning, so I grab that faceplate out of the glovebox, plug it in and reset it.  A bit of a pain, but the new stereo is worth it!

Don

Oh man. Might have to try to find one for sale somewhere! Thank you for the answer either way.

The back up camera was hooked up to the new system so that's good! In fact my other annoyance with the screen is that it complains I don't have a backup camera when I back up.. but I do lol. Maybe I can just disconnect the second screen? Is that a possibility without screwing something up? Should I be buying myself a service manual?

Thank you all! This is all new to me lol. I absolutely love the versatility of this vehicle but way more "modern" features than any other car I owned. 

Edit: REALLY hoping I'm not gonna have to put tape over it. Hoping for a more elegant (invisible) solution like turning it off. The ledge is useful for my nicotine vape too lol.

Edited by MindMajick

Pretty sure you can just disconnect it by unplugging one connector and not harm anything . . . . or easier yet, you could just cover it with a favorite photograph trimmed to fit  -  Maybe a pic of someone you'd like to spend a few extra years with when you finally get around to giving up your nicotine habit  ?

My wife had one lung removed late last year, which has changed our lives forever . . . . but the good news is, she's still with me and may well be for several more years  -  We hope!

Don

1 hour ago, Beta Don said:

My wife had one lung removed late last year, which has changed our lives forever . . . . but the good news is, she's still with me and may well be for several more years  -  We hope!

Don

Don, 

Best wishes.  Thoughts & prayers.

16 hours ago, Beta Don said:

Pretty sure you can just disconnect it by unplugging one connector and not harm anything . . . . or easier yet, you could just cover it with a favorite photograph trimmed to fit  -  Maybe a pic of someone you'd like to spend a few extra years with when you finally get around to giving up your nicotine habit  ?

Don

Ok cool. Sounds like I'll have to purchase a service manual as I'm not very knowledgeable about radios and vehicle stuff. Thank you all for being so awesome.

Totally agree about the nicotine habit. I'm 43 and smoked for 32 years. The vape is a step in the right direction and I will NEVER pick up another cig. My mother passed From lung cancer at 62. Also just had a friend staying with me that survived losing a lung.. but his wife left him during the illness. 

You are a good dude. Thank you. I might just put a picture of my wife there until I figure out how to disable.

Edited by MindMajick

The 4.2 inch display communicates on a network with other modules in the vehicle. The backup camera status is coming from another module. You can't selectively disable this with wires going to the display. The display (FCDIM) holds the date/time, language selection and internal configuration info. I doubt it can be unplugged without causing other problems.

You may be able to un-configure the backup camera using Forscan or IDS software. This is easy for those who have the software, but there is a learning curve. Maybe a dealership can do this but they are expensive and rarely have the desire or expertise to change configurations or programming.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:04 PM, Don Ridley said:

My 2016 TC shows this configuration option for the backup camera in Forscan. You should be able to turn off the backup camera.

rear camera options.docx

Hey Don.. Dumb question.. can you set the time with that software? And anywhere to find a comprehensive guide? I know nothing about cars but much about technology.

Found the Forscan software site and seems promising and certainly very reasonably priced! 

No, Forscan can't set the time. In fact, after making changes with Forscan the time is always messed up and needs to be reset.

If you are looking for a Forscan guide, there are several on other Ford websites. Attached is one from the Escape website that is well written. I recommend doing several hours of reading and research on Forscan before using it. If you have a long plane flight or boring day at work this keeps you busy.  Escape, Focus and F-150 forums have a lot if information. I have a couple of posts here that will help. Note that F150s are configured in Forscan differently than TCs, Focus and other cars. The truck configuration is changed by editing individual hexadecimal numbers. The cars use pre-configured options that are chosen by a pick list. The cars don't have all the options/changes available on the trucks.

If you are looking for a manual, try https://www.factory-manuals.com/ford-28. This is the ford manual and is a 7000 page .PDF file. Very useful but" bulky" with a lot of test/troubleshooting procedures.

2017 Escape FORScan CC Instructions (1).pdf

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

No, Forscan can't set the time. In fact, after making changes with Forscan the time is always messed up and needs to be reset.

If you are looking for a Forscan guide, there are several on other Ford websites. Attached is one from the Escape website that is well written. I recommend doing several hours of reading and research on Forscan before using it. If you have a long plane flight or boring day at work this keeps you busy.  Escape, Focus and F-150 forums have a lot if information. I have a couple of posts here that will help. Note that F150s are configured in Forscan differently than TCs, Focus and other cars. The truck configuration is changed by editing individual hexadecimal numbers. The cars use pre-configured options that are chosen by a pick list. The cars don't have all the options/changes available on the trucks.

If you are looking for a manual, try https://www.factory-manuals.com/ford-28. This is the ford manual and is a 7000 page .PDF file. Very useful but" bulky" with a lot of test/troubleshooting procedures.

2017 Escape FORScan CC Instructions (1).pdf

Thank You! It's a good thing I'm incredibly obsessive about everything I touch.. and enjoy reading.

I definitely want to take a look around and learn as much as I can b4 making any changes.. so will most likely buy a manual and have the vehicle looked at by Ford in the next couple of weeks just to sure all is A-OK. I was very weary about buying used, BUT already this forum has given me much new knowledge. I.e. Change the tranny fluid around 60kk miles!!

The 5 active folks on this site are awesome. Thanks all for being here!