Ford Transit Connect Forum

What to look for in a used 2016

If buying used, the factory tow package has the trailer light harness installed as part of the tow package.   On trucks, there's usually an auxiliary transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, and sometimes better brakes.  I am not certain, but I don't think the Transit Connect tow package has much more than the hitch receiver and light harness.  The factory installed tow package is not an indicator that the van was used for any towing at all.  I once bought a truck with a tow package, because I wanted other features that came with that truck.  I never towed anything with it. The next owner got a factory tow package which was never used to tow.  

Pickup trucks with tow packages can also have different gearing for towing, and upgraded suspension,.

image.thumb.png.52194176223d1e31000991d1d1d42adc.png

The factory tow package on a Transit Connect is a little more than just bolting on a hitch receiver and attaching a wiring harness.  But if I really had to tow, and I only owned a Transit Connect, I would consider renting a truck for the day.  

On 4/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, PhotoAl said:

Very Nice!  Like the color, much better than my creeper van white.  Creeper van white is my daughters description.

I got the creeper van white because I was In The Florida heat and on the road most days, 

Tell your Daughter that the 'Creeper" comment Is stuck In my head like a bad tune, :P

Don't worry about the tranny or anything actually, It's a Ford, change the Oil with the good stuff and drive it like a sports car :D

115,000 on my 16 2.5L, paid for and I will drive it into the ground...

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, zalienz said:

Sweet. I wanted those wheels, but the 17" are reserved for wagons, and not cargo vans. Looks great, congrats!

You are free to put whatever wheels you want on it now.  ;)

My 16 has a trailer hitch but the only thing it has ever hauled is a jetski on an aluminum trailer less than an hour to the lake in the spring and back in the fall. 

Fine to be wary of things like that, but not everyone is overloading or abusing them if they have a receiver. 

PS - that $20 Uhaul pickup is closer to $50 by the time you pay for everything. 

Edited by MLB

6 hours ago, MLB said:

You are free to put whatever wheels you want on it now.  ;)

Nice to have this freedom. The cargo van has possible tire sizes written on the B-pillar (16” only) and I wouldn’t pass inspection if different. They’re really strict about it over here.

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:04 PM, herb said:

Bingo , i would also be extremely wary of a vehicle with a hitch .  While hitches may be convenient the cost of a trailer are often not ,  if i knew i was towing i would of went with another vehicle entirely.

Edited by MLB
delete duplicate post