Ford Transit Connect Forum

a few dimentions

Texasupton

I am new here, and dont have a TC yet, so bear with my questions

1. With the 3rd row seats removed in a LWB, and the 2nd  row  seats folded, how long is the floor from the back door, to the edge of where the 2nd row is folded? In other words, how long of a piece of plywood could I put in, with it laying completely flat on the floor?

2. How tall/high  is the 2nd row seat when folded?  Looks like about 6"?

3. How wide is each of the 60/40 seat backs on the 2nd row?

4. If I have 2nd row bucket seats, and I remove 1 of them, how much width will I have between the remaining seat and the far sliding door? 

Thank you

Doesn't make much difference with the 3rd row in or out the width and length are the same.  I'll look into it in the morning and let you know.  I do no a 4x8 sheet of plywood will not fit.  The only reason I take the 3rd row seats out is it gives a bit more headroom for hauling stuff like my scooter.  Its an amazing van but which has an incredible amount of interior space considering the outside dimensions but it is still a small van.  

It sounds to me like you're planning a camper-van setup? Offhand, I can tell you the LWB van is around 7ft from the back doors to the front seats at floor level, so I'd give a rough guess of 4.5-5ft to the back edge of the folded second row seat. I have a cargo van instead of passenger wagon, so I can't measure the exact setup you're asking about, but a LWB is a LWB either way.

ETA: That applies to TC2 (2014+) vans because mine is a 2015. 

Edited by jrm223

depending on where the front seat backs are, from the rear hatch it is 84 to 86 inches t the back of the console.  Narrowest point is just before the sliding doors and is about 45 1/2".  Between the doors it is about 55" wide and maybe 50" in the back.  Th rear opening height  is actually a new inches lower than the roof.  Attached is a photo of my 2016 TC Titanium with the rear seats folded and a WeatherTech mat in place.  I like the mat as it gives me additional firming over the fiberboard pieces which bridge the gaps between the folded seats and protects the interior.  I will also remove the rear seats which gives me a bit more room. Second photo is it in that configuration with a scooter loaded.  Don't know what kind of conversion you are thinking about but Ive seriously considered adding a foam mattress - Amazon has three section mattresses that get good reviews and sleeping on the floor with the scooter outside.  Haven't tried it yet as the last camping trip was on my motorcycle.  It is faster, gets better gas mileage and is more fun than the TC.  Well unless there is snow, ice or lightning. 

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_5902.JPG

Thank you. Nice photos. I have a few ideas about sleeping/camping arrangements.  Went over to the dealer the other day and checked things out and took a few measurements.  I m 6'3" and I cant believe how much headroom there is in the front seat. The overhead storage even clears my head. What does bother me is how low these are to the ground without any real way to raise them. I don't need a rock crawler, but dang it looks like they drag on speedbumps. 

Ive not had any trouble dragging the bottom but don't drive over anything that difficult.  My other car is a Volt which is very low so this seems better in that respect.  The front and rear overhang is not much and Ive not had a problem with them.. May have scrapped the front a little bit one time.  In my neighborhood we have lots of steep driveways and plenty of opportunity to scrape but the TC doesn't seem to be bad.  Being low does make it easy to get in and out of.  My daughter has a Honda Oddessy which is higher off the ground but interior room is less due to the low top (relative to the floor).  The TC rides a bit stiffer than the Honda but goes around turns much better - can almost be fun in the corners as it doesn't roll too much and the tires are descent.  I had to be vey careful with the Volt with OEM tires as they gave up very early.  I almost ran off the road one time not paying attention - lit up all the stability control lights!  I was on a road that I frequently rode my sport bike on and thought I was going slow enough.  LOL learned that lesson! 

Ive cemented on this before, the TC is my retirement haul people and stuff van.  I haul a scooter around, sometimes taking ou the rear seats - 4 bolts not too bad but they are not lightweight.   I haul stuff ranging from dishwashers to double ovens and IKEA cabinets.  Daaughter's Honda is a little longer and can could the longer cabinet boxes.  I haul people, recently father-in-law was dying of cancer and I hauled him, wheelchair, my wife, mother-in-law and caregiver to the doctors office.  Easier to get him and mother-in-law in and out as the seat height is neither up or down.  Just back in and sit down.  The inlaws were 90 at the time and mother-in-law has very bad arthritis.  On the other end of the spectrum there are the twin 5 year old grandkids.  They don't complain but fight over which side they sit on - right side has a better view of the navigation map.  Last summer I took the rear seats out and folded one of the middle two flat and then hauled my wife and another daughter 600 miles to Florida.  Along with a mountain of stuff!  Put my bicycle on top of the stuff and could still see to the back.  A very versatile hauler, particularly in light of how small it is.  

I think the 2019's have a 2 liter engine, I would be inclined to opt for a 2018 with the 2.5 liter engine.  May not be a big difference but the 2.0 will shift more and I believe it is an 8 speed auto rather than the 6 speed in the 2018 and earlier.  Mine is a 2016 Titanium I bought late November of 2017.  I got a very good deal on it but had to drive 300 miles to get it.  Since it was Knoxville turned it into a short Gatlinburg trip at the "suggestion" of my wife.  

I have been very happy with mine, oil changes are not bad at all but do need to use ramps.  The undercover is much easier to get off than the ones on the VW's Ive had.  Under hood is very roomy compared to the VW's as well.  I won't compare to the Volt as the hood on it never goes up.  If it breaks I'll take it to the dealer.

The tall perspective of Google camera makes this street & gas station ramps look shallower than they actually are - but, my van, which is 1/2" taller than stock, scrapes on all three of these points if I don't drive up at an angle. Where I used to live, I'd have to go directly across this picture from right to left (that left street has a matching end off the right side of pic) and the van would scrape in the front every time. The only time I've had a problem with speed bumps was when I had a drop-hitch in my aftermarket receiver (until I had time to flip it to a raised hitch). But, my typical total load in the van, including myself, is maybe around 300-350 lbs and the limit is something like 1200lbs. I've also taken this van down "roads" that the city-boy bro-dozer trucks with 8" lift, 24" rims and tiny 37" tires (tiny for that much lift) would never even dream of going down, haha.

Conoco.thumb.jpg.7698d1b232fa9e40466b01312a6a195e.jpg